1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You as a Christian Evangelizing Catholics.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by mioque, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

How well does it work?
    I'm adressing those folks on the board that either have a ministry of that sort, or another strong reason to be involved in this arena.
    Say, because their parents are Roman Catholic....

You see, my own church has a rather successfull outreach ministry aimed at Roman Catholics.
    In all honesty however, in practice we focus exclusively on the sort of edge of their church Catholics that visit a church maybe twice a year.
    What are the obstacles if you go up against the more orthodox crowd.

2. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

I was born raised and schooled RC .I accepted Christ or I should say Christ accepted me at the age of 30 in 1981.My whole Italian American HUGE family are all Catholics .
    I love them all ! My
    mom is 81 and goes to Mass every morning .I CAN'T get her to read the Bible .She says all she needs to know is told to her by the Church ! I
    think from my experience in the Church for over 30 years and talking to my family school ,
    and watching Catholic TV .
    Is getting them to realize the mediator between God and man is Christ NOT the Catholic Church !

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Howdy Mioque, why would you try....surely appealing to folk who are luke warmed or cold is going to be much more rewarding than dyed in the wool church going priest attending Catholics or even those of other faiths who are deeply committed.

Cheers from the folk who have finally hit Autumn.....it is beautiful here now.

4. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I don't know. I've never tried to evangelize Catholics. I have evangelized atheists, Muslims, and one follower of Herbert Armstrong. Their teachings are far worse than anything the Catholic Church can come up with, especially Armstrongism.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

I'm asking 'cause I see the DHK, Eliyahu, D28guy, BobRyan crowd flailing about and I wonder, do they ever make any progress?
    Jack Chick (to name one example among many) probably makes a fine living with those tracts of his, but does God ever make use of all that activity to score some RC conversions?

6. mima

mima New Member

I have seen many RCC conversions. And while all these people have not left the Catholic Church all of them have renounced RCC teachings. Many RCC people have privately sought me out, and plainly asked me to explain what I believe. The reason for this was their knowledge that other RCC people that they knew had left the RCC Church. Once while at a multi-church dinner a Catholic priest ,came up to me, threw his arms around my neck, and said oh what a great man of God. I was very shocked and just completely froze. Later this same priest asked my pastor if he would ask me to come and witness to him. Of course I was delighted to witness to the man who by the way was very knowledgeable and knew more about the Bible than most people. He also had a vast array of books about the Church's teachings. When I asked him did he want to pray a sinners prayer with me, he said no not at this time. Six months later this priest was saved and out of the RCC and today's is teaching school. So the answer is yes RCC people can be converted and your very best policy in witnessing to them is stating exactly but what the Bible says. While they themselves do not know what the Bible says, they can all read and when shown what it says they become very interested. For they understand that have been taught wrong.

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

......not being expert in matters of faith I believe conversions are best achieved by example and living the faith,prayer etc.

I have a dear Calvinist friend whom I would dearly love to see become Catholic, on the otherhand I think she would dearly love me to become Calvinist.....be that, we are happiest talking about our Saviour and discussion on the interior life satisfies us both. In the end it is as God Wills not mine.

Add a prayer if you will for South Africa....which is undergoing a period of renewal in matters of Faith!

8. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

I was raised RCC and got save in 1983. I find that when talking to a RC the best way is to use the Bible only and let it teach them. I never attack the RCC it self or the beliefs of the RCC. I find as you teach a person from the bible that question come up and at that time you can correct the errors of the RCC.

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Personally I have issue with the name of the thread because being Catholic is not mutually exclusive of being a Christian.

Now if the thread had been titled Christians witnessing to Baptists maybe I'd be more amenable to the title. [​IMG]

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

11. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Mioque...

As born again people our duty is the share truth as God openes doors. We are to leave the results to God. Whether we see results with our own eyes is completly irrelavent.

During the 2-3 years or so that I, as a then Catholic, was under conviction only one of the ones who shared with me have any idea that a couple years later I was born again. (I saw him at a church I was visiting several years later and told him about it.)

I will definetly seek the others out in heaven and thank them for being vessels God could use.

I shared the truth with my Mom, Dad, and sister...all Catholics...and all 3 of them came to their senses and were born again, through the true gospel, on their deathbed.

Praise God! \0/

Although its nice to see a conversion, the only "result" I am concerned with is hearing a "well done, good and faithful servant" from God.

God bless,

Mike

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Best. Post. EVAR.

13. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have always found this rather offensive [​IMG]

Mind you I belong to several Catholic boards who can be quite ignorant when describing others.

A golden opportunity to practice humility and turning the other cheek..... [​IMG]

14. mioque

mioque New Member

D28guy
    On their deathbed no less....

15. Armando

Armando New Member

I am catholic and many non-catholics friends have tried to convert me, at the end of the day there are some questions that have not been fully answered to my satisfaction:

1) Sola Scriptura: I believe that the teachings of Jesus should be available today in its entirety and without error. The same doctrine received by St. Peter should be make available to me today. The question is this? How am I, 2000 years later, supposed to have access to "ALL" those teachings. If Jesus calls us to be perfect, one faith, one baptism. To be one in Him as He is one with the Father. Logic tells me that if any single doctrine is missing today then perfection can not be accomplished and the forces of evil prevailed.

Sola Scripture can hardly demonstrate this, the first christians didn't have the NT as we know it today. Deutocanonicals were part of the OT and later removed. And most importantly, Sola Scriptura proves that unity (as in perfection) in doctrine can not be achieved.

2) The issue of Authority

3) The Eucharist, for 100's of years all christians believed in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Now, thousands of years later, some non-catholics have discovered that christianity has been in error for many many years. If the forces of evil should not prevailed against His Church then ALL of His teachings should exist today and forever (past and future) without error. Seems to me that the real presence in the Eucharist can be demonstrated with the Bible and it was fully accepted and understood from the very beginning. Unless St. John misunderstood Him in John 6 and he in turn tought heresey to St. Ignatious of Antioquie (sp?).

Armando

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

M -- The silence is deafening.

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Briona Gloriana,

Concerning my dad, mom, and sister...all Catholics prior...finding Christ on their deathbed...

Yep, and I praise God for it.

"The last shall be 1st and the 1st shall be last"

God bless,

Mike

18. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I praise the Lord every single day that I can be confident in His Mercy and Justice when we reach our particular judgement, I need not prejudge others.

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I was born and raised in the RCC church also, and attended their gradeschool.

I have a sister who is still in the RCC, but not actively. One of the things I do is show her the same things about salvation that are in MY Bible - are also in HER Catholic Bible.

She is still relying on 'works' to get her to Heaven and I'm still praying for her daily.

I also have a brother who is a lay priest in the RCC and I believe with all my heart that he is saved and trying to make changes within the church.

Unless the RCC has changed a lot since I attended there, the teachings are still false...

20. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Armando made some good points; anyone care to answer them?