1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You Got To Be Kidding Me!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by tyndale1946, Mar 20, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know there are many version of the Bible. I would say too many. I was taken back as someone asked a question and I answered according to the KJV which I read and prefer. I posted a scripture reference from the prophet Isaiah... I was floored and that's an understatement when the poster said where did you get that scripture from. There are definitely to many versions of the Bible? I have an idea I will post the scripture I posted and you post what your versions says... Brother Glen

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

#1 tyndale1946, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think that is more from ignorance of Scripture than too many version. I don't use the KJV except for some of my children's schooling (because their curriculum is KJV based) and I recognize it quickly.

Oh - You wanted what the version that I use says - and I'm guessing where you are going with this but I use the ESV which says:

Isaiah 14:12-15

How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the at ions low!

You said in your heart, I will ascend to the heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of the assembly in the far reaches of the north;

I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.'

But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit.

#2 annsni, Mar 20, 2015
  3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Why does it matter if someone doesn't recognize the KJV???

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying it does? They must IMHO understand the bulk of it though don't you think? My wife for instance reads the Clear Word and even she understood where the scripture came from... So you tell me?... Brother Glen

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I follow you. I was under the impression based on your OP that you were astounded that someone didn't recognize the KJV, not that they were unable to understand it.

6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really not going anywhere with this and not accusing anyone, as according to scripture finger pointing points back at the Christian pointing the finger. I guess I was just surprised... Trying to understand I guess!... Brother Glen

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recognized right away it was from the KJV. Only the KJV and the NKJV translate "morning star" as "Lucifer" in this verse. (Well, so does the Geneva Bible.)

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ahhh - OK. I'm sorry for assuming. I'm so used to KJV people saying that verse 12 shows that the other versions are in error. Honestly, I'm probably most familiar with the passage because of KJVO arguments. But to not know where a verse is isn't horrible but then again, if they wanted to know where it was, I think it would be pretty easy to do a quick google search and look it up. Now if they googled the exact phrase and it wasn't there, then I think it's fine for them to question where it came from. I've done that before.

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying that as to each his own. I guess instead of seeing the big picture I was in tunnel vision mode!... A coin does have two sides... Brother Glen

10. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you surprised people didn't recognize the term "lucifer"???

That would be a good thing if people stopped looking to Isaiah 14 as a proof text for Satan.

Cause it's not!

11. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Thank you!

I mentioned that to a class one time and they looked at me like I grew another head.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Isaiah 14:12 “How you have fallen from heaven,
    O star [or shining one] of the morning, son of the dawn!
    You have been cut down to the earth,
    You who have weakened the nations!

13 “But you said in your heart,
    ‘I will ascend to heaven;
    I will raise my throne above the stars of God,
    And I will sit on the mount of assembly
    In the recesses of the north.

14 ‘I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
    I will make myself like the Most High.’

15 “Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol,
    To the recesses of the pit. (NASB) ​

Here is another version:
    12 How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low!

13 You said in your heart, “I will ascend into heaven! I will exalt my throne above the stars of God! I will sit on the mountain of assembly, in the far north!

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds! I will make myself like the Most High!”

15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the pit. (WEB) ​

#12 Van, Mar 20, 2015
  13. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Is your wife SDA?

14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No!... I have SDA and Baptist friends who use the KJV. Here is a question for you. How does the translation anyone uses determine what denomination they are? She has many translations... KJV, NKJV, The New English Bible and, The Clear Word... She has a library full of translations... Her friend has the Message Bible!... I guess that one will be next?... Brother Glen

15. franklinmonroe

I also have a library full (over 100 English NT translations just from the 20th & 21st centuries). Today I acquired another (just published in 2013). I have completely read about one-third of them. Some are sectarian works that I do not intend to read, but are for reference like the New World Translation (JW), the Inspired Version (LDS), and Clear Word Bible (SDA). I have made it a personal goal to know about Bible versions firsthand.

The Clear Word was written by Adventist Jack Blanco. CW is not a translation, it is a highly interpretive commentary with a heavy SDA theological bias. You can get a feel for some of the specific instances of SDA theological insertions from various internet sites (I recommend this one https://carm.org/clear-word-bible ), or do the work yourself. It has been accepted in many SDA circles because it reinforces their beliefs, although it has also been criticized from within SDA.

So, is your wife Baptist? Are you Baptist?

#15 franklinmonroe, Mar 20, 2015
  16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I go with her to hers!... Didn't know Clear Word was SDA... A friend let her read it and she liked it... So I bought it for her... Long story... My church disbanded ten years ago... Family church!... She's my 2nd marriage... First wife died.. Takes her NKJV to church and uses the Clear Word for devotionals... How do you read so many versions?... My KJV keeps me busy but according to other posts I'm still in the dark ages... Brother Glen

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please take time to Google the Clear Word to see its history.

18. franklinmonroe

Brother Glen, I see you were up late last night. Well, now you know. It is dangerous for her to read an SDA devotional book. Its even more dangerous to her spiritually that she attends the SDA church. So, you go to the Adventist church on Saturday with her and then go to a Baptist church without her on Sunday?

19. franklinmonroe

I don't watch much TV, which really helps. Bear in mind, most of these translations are only of the New Testament. I can read the NT through about four times each year (that is, once every 90 days).

Reading different versions keeps it fresh and interesting for me. Many 'modern' versions are quicker to read than the KJV (for example) because they follow closer to my natural speech pattern and I don't have to look up words in a dictionary as often. Also, formatting is important; 'paragraphing' (verse breaks with numbers) found in some Bibles slows down the reading speed (but can be a good thing, too).

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The ESV has a reader's version with no chapter or verse breaks and no headings or notes. You may be interested in that!