1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You have country, rock, or other similar music? Ditch it!

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Spoudazo, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That still doesn't answer the question of whether you guys believe you should ditch all TV and movies, and whether you have yourself followed this advice.

3. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Music is to glorify God, that's why we have it. TV is usually useless and should be avoided. The only movies I ever watch are family movies now, as for music, it is specifically for glorifying God if you believe the Bible (yet from your previous posts, you show a heart not content with what the Bible says, viz.-your "questions" about Noah in another thread).

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, its secular entertainment, which is part of your argument against secular music... PLUS, even if they are family movies, they do in fact have a sound track, and I bet that sound track is usually secular music. So, if you truly believe in what you are saying, you'd quit watching those evil family movies with its evil secular music. I'm going to guess that you're not going to though. Do you tell your kids to plug their ears when they start playing a song? No, of course you don't, that would be ridiculous, yet, it's about on the same wavelength as your advice.

As far as asking questions about Noah, since when is that a bad thing? Everybody should ask questions. If you can't handle a few questions or have the guts to ask a few yourself, you're not as firm in your beliefs as you think.

#64 corndogggy, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  5. rbell

rbell Active Member

1 John 2:15-16 does not condemn specific genres of music, but things that promote:
    -the lust of the flesh
    -the lust of the eyes
    -the pride of life.

Sorry, spauzado, you can't claim an entire genre of music does this. There are certainly artists and songs that do in each category of music...but not all, which negates your opening admonition.

I'll repeat one of my earlier posts, because I don't think anyone dealt with it:

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:rolleyes: Just wondering, do you question the salvation of everyone who disagrees with you? I'm glad to see that you know everyone's heart so well. You seem so concerned with what others may or may not be doing wrong, when do you find time to worry about the state of your own heart?

Corndogggy, keep in mind that not everyone on the BB believe the same things.

#66 Filmproducer, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:thumbs: well said

8. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I'm just saying that there are many "at ease in Zion" and think some mental decision to believe in Christ means that they are going to heaven, when their actions portray a heart contrary to the new creature.

(Luke 13:24)

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

The burden of proof to show that art has ANYTHING to do with this conversation is on you, Rbell.

Music is for God, to glorify God. When we take something meant to glorify God and glorify ourselves, or enliven our flesh, God is not pleased.

(Heb. 13:5)

(Eph. 5:19)

I am providing scripture, you are providing your own reasoning. What shall stand in that day?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But is listening to secular music going to send someone to hell? I haven't read anywhere in Scripture where music is a sin so I think that it's up to the Spirit to convinct someone of whether or not to listen to it. It's not for a pastor or fellow believer to tell someone that they're going to hell if they're going to listen to it. Is it necessarily the BEST we can do? Not always but again, that's up to God to convict, not me.

Ann (who still loves to listen to the Ramones when I clean the house - I laugh so hard when I'm dancing around to their music!)

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where does it say that music is to only glorify God?

Yes, we are to praise the Lord with the fruit of our lips giving thanks to Him. But why does this mean that we cannot enjoy fun music that the Lord God has given to us? OK - some songs are not edifying, but music is not evil in and of itself. I think that's already been established.

12. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

When a person is saved, they are saved no matter what.

I'm just saying, dancing is wrong and so is secular music. Baptists churches used to "church" members who danced, and is it a surprise, that was when tons of people were coming to Christ, the church had an influence on the world, etc. Now the "church" as a whole is part of the world, screaming for "my rights" (Laodicea = "justice of the people") and the Lord is outside the doors, waiting for someone of this description,
    (Isa. 66:2)

13. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Because of Revelation 4:11.

Are you hear to please yourself or please God?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess David would be just going straight to hell, huh?

Praise the LORD!
    Praise God in his sanctuary;
    praise him in his mighty heavens!
    Praise him for his mighty deeds;
    praise him according to his excellent greatness!
    Praise him with trumpet sound;
    praise him with lute and harp!
    Praise him with tambourine and dance;
    praise him with strings and pipe!
    Praise him with sounding cymbals;
    praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
    Let everything that has breath praise the LORD!
    Praise the LORD!

That certainly doesn't sound like a dirge and sitting in the pew to me!

Nope, I'll dance and be even MORE undignified like David. I'll raise my hands in praise and sing my loudest (Psalms talk all about making a joyful noise and it's certainly a noise when I sing - and joyful at that! LOL!).

Ann

15. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I am unsure if this entire conversation is in regards to types of music to be used in worship or about music in general.

I would agree that there are certain types of music that do not belong in the church. Secular music has no place whatsoever in the worship of our Lord. However, as far as entertainment goes, so long as it's clean fun, I can see nothing wrong with the type of music we choose to listen to as part of our everyday lives.

I listen to classic country much of the time when I'm in my truck. The rest of the time I am typically singing church hymns to myself.

If any and all secular music truly is unscriptural, no matter the time, then I suppose we ought to all forget the evil "A-B-C song", the satanic Star Spangled Banner, and other such irreverent songs as well.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Read the OT, friend. Music was for worship, but also for relaxation. Check out David and Saul.

Do you really think music isn't art? that's almost funny.

Can music not be enjoyable? If you hear a great classical piece of music, and find yourself humming along, tapping your toe, are you sinning, because "your flesh enjoys it?"

Once again, notice that we are to avoid things that stimulate:
    -the lust of the flesh
    -the lust of the eyes
    -the pride of life

Do a word study on this. You're trying to make it mean more than it does.

If I enjoy something, that does not necessarily mean it is "lust of the flesh" material.

Besides, the proof's on you: you made an outlandish claim in your OP--that all Christians should ditch any and all secular music because it is evil. You have failed in showing scriptural proof to back up that assertion.

Should a musician do everything for God's glory? Absolutely. Does God have to be the subject and object of any song written? Absurd. You ever sing "happy birthday" to anyone? How about the ABC's? They don't honor God--because they don't mention Him (your reasoning).

If you feel you should stay away from secular music then by all means follow your convictions. But there's a big difference between the statements,

I am not going to do that because it's against my convictions,

and

You shouldn't do that because it is sinful.

My challenge has been staying on task in responding to you. Your assumptions are so full of holes, logically, exegetically, and factually, that I'm having trouble staying on subject.

17. TheMagneticFields

TheMagneticFields New Member

Gene was a major influence on modern christian music. It was a sad day when I heard of his passing.

18. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Pastor told me that until I gave up playing in bars, I could not participate in the music ministry at church. He used the scripture that talks about "be ye separate from the world" - I am at work and cannot
    quote its location right now, no Bibles allowed in here.

So I have given up playing in bars so I can serve God with my music. Now I realize that bars are the very essence of "the world" and I was providing the entertainment to draw people into dens of iniquity, to drink heavily and to act lewdly.

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that my pastor is supportive of me. Our church is very small, so I'm the piano player right now.

Most of the people in our church have come out to see me play, either in bars or at fundraisers, which is 90% of what we do these days.

They see for themselves that the music I play isn't sinful. It isn't bad. I don't act in any way that anyone could consider "sinful". So, they're OK with it.

We really are pretty "G" rated.

If that's your conviction, then you're to be commended for following it.

I doubt very seriously that any of the bars I play in could be considered "dens of iniquity". We must be playing different kinds of bars, because for the most part, the people we see are pretty well behaved.

I take it on good faith that the people who come out aren't going to get drunk and "lewd". So far, my faith in them has paid off.

Because of the music we play, that just isn't the kind of crowd we draw.

Now Playing: Jerry Jeff Walker - "Live: Night After Night"