1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You may know (absolutely) ye have eternal life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Question:
    "When we get to Heaven and eternal life, will we still have "faith"??"

GE:
    "The righteous SHALL live by faith" --- Paul says these three - faith, hope and love - "ABIDETH". Where love is, there shall be both hope and faith. Even when Jesus shall have come, we shall live by these three. How do I understand it? I do NOT understand it; I believe it and shall for ever, believe it.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    mark1:
    "Preach the Gospel to "every creature" has no meaning then does it?"

GE:
    How can you say that?!
    Preach the Gospel to "every creature" for that is the meaning of it: for it to be proclaimed. God shall do the rest. Actually, it is God himself who effectively proclaims the Gospel ... through, the preaching of .... HIS, Word!

Is it not reason enough for you to proclaim the Gospel that God told you to proclaim it? You have nothing to do with the conversion of any hearers after you have proclaimed the Gospel.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First, we have eternal life now if born again, it is not something that has not begun yet. The only thing left to take place concerning eternal is our bodies. The spirit and soul is not only secured but has been regenerated.

We live by faith in Jesus Christ whom we know through the Spirit. Yes, we will always have faith in Jesus Christ. Tell me, how can faith in Jesus Christ end in heaven? If it ends, then you no longer have faith in Jesus Christ? What have ye then? Would you no longer trust in Jesus Christ?

Understand that "faith" has several meanings as used in different applications. Ye must seperate by context and usage.

Faith can be a belief that is not based on proof. This is a "blind faith". Agnostics demonstrate this kind of faith. They look over all the "faiths" and choose one that feels good to them, maybe pick serveral or mix and match, her a little and there a little, but will tell you that they cannot know for sure if what they have chosen is going to be found true in the end. Biblical faith in Jesus Christ is based on knowledge communicated by the Spirit from regeneration. This is not something I make up. John declares "ye may know".

Answer this, do you know, with absolute personal assurance of fact (which is what "know" means), that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

:jesus:

#103 steaver, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! It says what it says! :thumbs:

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "eidos" is from "eido" and is used it seems when sight is the application, when you know something because you have seen it with your very eyes.

We are not addressing "eidos" for this word is not used in this passage. The word used in 1Jn 5 is "eido" which means to "know" and does not have to be because of sight at all. In fact, John states ye may know ye have eternal life. Can ye see eternal life or do you know it by the Holy Spirit witness? You know it by the "witness in himself".

1Jo 5:10He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself:

6. mark1

mark1 New Member

not my definition:

eidō
    Thayer Definition:
    1) to see
    1a) to perceive with the eyes
    1b) to perceive by any of the senses
    1c) to perceive, notice, discern, discover
    1d) to see
    1d1) i.e. to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything
    1d2) to pay attention, observe
    1d3) to see about something
    1d3a) i.e. to ascertain what must be done about it
    1d4) to inspect, examine
    1d5) to look at, behold

7. mark1

mark1 New Member

Hbr 11:1¶Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Will you not be able to see Jesus face to face when we get to Heaven? Faith is a vehicle that helps get us to Heaven.

Rom 10:17So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

You think we will still need preachers in Heaven?

pistiV
    pistis
    pis'-tis
    from peiqw - peitho 3982; persuasion, i.e. credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly, constancy in such profession; by extension, the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:--assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

#107 mark1, Oct 4, 2008
  8. mark1

mark1 New Member

Is this not in and of itself questioning whether I am "saved" or not. If I answer "no" then according to scripture, I cannot be saved. Is that what you are asking me brother?

Jhn 17:3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Doesn't matter. Your post does not change or refute anything I have posted.

Yes you will see Jesus face to face. Faith does not "help" us get there, faith gets us there, nothing else.

Unanswered questions...

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry, our post overlaped

Why don't you just answer the question?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Answering "no" does not necessitate that you are not saved. Many Christains do not understand the working of the Holy Spirit within their own spirit.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why John writes the letters for God to us Christians. That we may know we have eternal life. We have to learn from the scriptures why we are what we are. Scripture explains what that conviction of the heart is that we have. It is personal knowledge given us by God.

13. mark1

mark1 New Member

You can be saved and not believe and confess that Jesus is the Christ?

Sounds like ME doctrine to me, are you sure you mean that? I was hoping you could help me with the knowledge, but you say that you are saved by faith alone, scripture teaches you are saved by "Grace" and through "faith".

Really, I do not understand you needing "faith" when you get to Heaven. Faith is the "substance" of things hoped for, the "evidence" of things not seen. When we get to Heaven, I believe we will then see, why should we have to have "faith" that Jesus will deliver us, when we are already there. Just my belief, maybe I am outside of the norm. I don't know what men have decided the "norm" is concerning this.

#113 mark1, Oct 4, 2008
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No.
    We walk by faith, and not by sight.
    When Jesus comes we will see him as he is; we will no longer need faith.
    Faith will end at the time that we see Christ.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 Corinthians 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
    --Presently there remains these three: faith, hope and love.
    The greatest of these three gifts is love. Why? Because only love will go on for all eternity. Both faith and hope will end at the coming of Christ. There is no need of hope and faith in heaven, but love will last forever.

Our hope is the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Blessed Hope.
    He hope for those things that we see not. For, when we see them, then why would we yet hope for them.
    The same is true of Christ.
    We walk by faith, and not by sight.
    When Christ comes, we no longer need faith; we will see him as He is.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I admire those who could practice patience with the free-willers, own-decision makers, and self righteous. May I speak a word of encouragement to you with your task. I admit I am not up to it for the sheer intolerant spirit of mine. To your opposition, just this: Observe and appreciate the long-suffering of your reprovers!

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

17. mark1

mark1 New Member

Thank you Sir;

Hbr 12:2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

When its finished, its finished!

18. mark1

mark1 New Member

Thank God for our free wills to choose to follow Christ all the way to Heaven, and while here on earth to suffer those who would lead us wrong, and reprove us, and say we don't have a right to the Tree of Life.:thumbs: God Bless

#118 mark1, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  19. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark1
    When we get to Heaven and eternal life, will we still have "faith"??

If you do not mind, please answer whether we will have "faith" in Heaven.

HP: Interesting question Mark1, and an interesting response by DHK. :thumbs:

Let me ask DHK, are you now in possession of absolute knowledge of your final standing with God? If so, how can it be said that you walk by faith in the here and now, something you say will NOT be present when we get to heaven?

Questions for all the list:

Can one hold anything by faith and at the same time hold it as absolute knowledge? Does the term absolute knowledge predispose of any element of uncertainty or error? If we hold our salvation by absolute knowledge, is deception even possible, and would there ever be a need to examine our faith to see if it is based on solid evidence? What is the meaning of the following verses? Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God…..and this one 1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You missed this part which qualified my comment..."Many Christains do not understand the working of the Holy Spirit within their own spirit.

Let me put it this way, many Christians do not know that they know. This is why the Apostles spend much time teaching Christians how they can know WITH ASSURANCE that they are born again.

You will always, forever, eternally have faith in Jesus Christ or God. No, once you have been delivered to heaven you will no longer exercise faith that you will be delivered to heaven. That exercise will be completed. But you will still have faith in Jesus. Why would faith cease? Faith is an eternal substance of a Christian.

Does Jesus Christ have faith? Can Jesus say to a mountain "be removed" and not believe it will be removed?

I have a question for you. Why did the disciples BELIEVE in Jesus Christ AFTER they had SEEN Him?

Jhn 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

Your application of Hebrews 11:1 cannot be correct, It does not harmonize with Jhn 20:29.

Faith does not end with seeing Jesus Christ. Faith begins with Jesus Christ whether you see Him or not. Thomas and others SEEN Jesus Christ at which point they BELIEVED!

Faith abides forever!

1Cr 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

You will not find any scripture that states faith will end. Will love end for your view as well?

So what is Hebrews 11:1 saying?

Hbr 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews is a bit "deep". We could start a thread on this passage. BUT, what we can be assured of is that it is NOT saying faith ends at the sight of Jesus Christ. This would condradict scriptures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.