1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You Might Be in the Wrong Church If...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Its not biblical, nothing holy about a building, no matter its grandeur or simplicity, a building is supposed to be just a tool for the spreading of the gospel and gathering of the saints.

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

What is the process to join your particular church? Unless you joined churches of different denominations and wanted to "cover your bases", I just don't understand the reasoning behind having dual memberships.

Has the process ever been started and someone ended up being restored to fellowship?

Whats the point then of joining a church if there is no accountability, my name number and address is in the yellow pages, what more is needed?

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Does anyone in your church make it their job to know? A local church should be like a family. If one of your (blood) family members went missing, wouldn't you make it your job to know where they were?

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

My church requires one of two things to join, 1) a profession of faith in Jesus Christ, or 2) a letter of church membership from a sister church of the same faith and order. If a person comes under the first heading, then they enter as a candidate for baptism, which is usually performed fairly quickly, though sometimes a couple weeks will go by, depending on the time of year. Like I said, small church. Anyone coming under the second heading can enter under the 'watch care' of the church until their letter is received from the church they are departing.

As to the issue of dual membership, there are some people who simply don't attend often enough to understand how certain things work. If they move away, they may join a church and not realize that they should've moved their letter.

I'm sure it has, TH, but never that I've been involved with. As I said, I've only seen it done once. The person from whom fellowship was withdrawn eventually moved out of state. We don't currently have anyone in such standing that they need fellowship withdrawn from them, thank the Lord.

I'm not sure what you mean by there being "no accountability." Our church roll is not exactly a public record, meaning it isn't on display in the church. We don't publish the numbers from the church roll, either. I suppose saying it acts as a sort of church directory was a misstatement on my part. It was certainly not intended to cause any confusion.

The deacon board is the group that most often undertakes such a task, as they oversee the church roll and they look after the health of church, concerning prayers and sympathies. Even then, you can't always find someone. We know, as a church, where most of the people are. Some of the people who have left might be going to another church. Until they call for their letter, we're not going to remove them from the church roll. Several have moved out of state. Again, until they call for a letter, their name remains on the roll. I know that's probably not the best answer, but we've never been in a situation like the one you describe, so I can't honestly answer your scenario.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...if after 40 years in one community they finally have a 15 minute meeting after services to discuss a reach out ministry to the town but then never do anything...it dies on the vine. :BangHead:

#45 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't speak for anyone else, but in order to become a member of the church I pastored for over 26 years:
    I think 5a may give you some insight why a person would hold dual membership. Military service. College attendance. We also allowed missionaries sent from our church to remain members while at the same time pastoring, and thus being a member of, a mission church on the field.

:)

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any church that states that it does not matter if jesus rose from the dead, its his ideals that count
    Any church that staes that God will save all persons in the end
    Any church that states that we do not need the bible, as the pastor has revelations straight from God!