1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"You will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

I think Don Preston sums of the link between the martyrs and the 70 AD second coming pretty well in his book We Shall Meet Him in the Air.

The time of the resurrection would be when the blood of the matyrs was avenged at the coming of the Lord Isaiah 26:19 – 21.

But the time when the blood of the martyrs was to be avenged was to be in Jesus’ generation Matthew 23:34-36.

Therefore the time of the resurrection at the coming of the Lord was to be in Jesus’ generation.

2. lastday

lastday New Member

Logos1,
    Quote:
    You omitted what Jesus said later to substantiate that He knew all things!
    He told Caiaphas that he would see Him coming in the clouds of heaven!!
    You are so bold to question whether the Son of God was omniscient!!!

Jesus added: "You shall not see me until you say Blessed is He coming"!
    Note in each case Jesus said: "henceforth, i.e., from NOW, ap arti"!!
    You left out Matt.24:39 and Matt.26:64 concerning His coming!!!

Here Jesus changed the subjects from unbelievers to future believers!
    He will gather the Jews "under His wings" when He appears with them!!
    Once again you limit the Power and Knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!!!
    Mel

3. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Paul was clearly a Preterist as his writing prove

The inspiration of the Holy Spirit writing through the apostle Paul ties together the coming of the Lord Jesus with the repayment of the martyrs of Thessalonica (and hence all martyrs since he came in 70 AD). This could only refer to 70 AD. I don’t know anyone who is familiar with the events described here that denies that the Jews are the ones persecuting the Thessalonian Christians and obviously in 70 AD the persecutors became the persecuted. Clearly fulfilling the prophecy of Paul. I think Paul would be the first to say he is a Preterist and take issue with anyone who can’t see the work and glory of Christ in 70 AD.

2 Thess 1
    6 since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven…

4. lastday

lastday New Member

Lastday

Winman,

I have been slow to answer your post of Saturday because I needed to reflect
    on the attitudes of those who have contributed to this thread. You are the only
    one that has been willing to consider the merits of my opposing viewpoint!

It seems the central question in your mind is summed up in your quote:
    My response has been that Jesus used the 2nd P.Sing. in reference to what John saw; but changed to the 3rd P. Plural in reference to "those few who must still taste death" after surviving the 1260 days of God's Kingdom Power.

That, I believe, is the context in which John "saw" the role of the Two
    Witnesses. The most convincing reason for putting the future fulfillment of
    "prophesying again" into the Endtime of 1260 days is the Parallel in Dan.12.
    There, as well in Rev.10, the one who "swore in the name of the eternal
    Creator that time was no longer" had selective reference to the 1290 days
    (cut short) by Revelation to 1260 days. Daniel was mainly concerned with what happens at the "End of Time".

Tom Riggis and Logos1 have both voluntarily "weeded" themselves out of
    discussion with you by refusing to "waste time with anyone not worth talking to"; although Logos1 keeps winging it when he sees opportunity to deny the
    literalness of the truth...such as claiming "no one will be caught up from the earth" and that there is no such a thing as a future "end of time". Logos1
    has agreed with me that we hold nothing in common relative to eschatology.

Now, back to the "End of Time" which cannot occur until the Two Prophets "finish demonstrating God's Kingdom Power for 1260 days...when the Mystery of God also is finished" and the Last One is killed who "must be killed before God avenges their blood". Rev.10:6-7; Rev.6:9-11.

The Mighty Angel and Voice from heaven told John he must prophesy again, immediately after the Voice had forbidden John to write the messages of the 7 thunders because they were "sealed" AND immediately after the Angel
    told him to eat these messages which was sweet to the taste but bitter in
    his stomach.

The personal message could be that John knew he must personally reveal
    those 7 messages as one of the Two Witnesses. That is why the ensuing
    context describes their task and its importance in preparing God's FORMER
    people to receive their Messiah as King. But before He comes as King, He
    must fulfill the role of Bridegroom and "gather" His chosen ones to meet
    Him in the sky...for only then can He fulfill Rev.17:14 and "come with all
    the called, elect and faithful"...including those who survive to the END.
    Mel Miller

#84 lastday, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I do find that passage in Hosea very interesting and you may be onto something there, however we must be careful about date setting. But I myself believe all this will take place very soon.

I want to know the truth, come what may. You might be correct about John, we have no record of his death, however that does not prove he remained alive. But it is a possibility, as we have Enoch and Elijah who did not die.

And this is why some believe Enoch and Elijah will be the two witnesses, as the scriptures say it is appointed man once to die, and then the judgment.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I myself have always leaned toward Enoch and Elijah because of this very verse.

Who do you believe the two witnesses are and why?

#85 Winman, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  6. lastday

lastday New Member

Lastday

Winman,

I applaud your stated search to know the truth of Scripture no matter what.
    On the identity of the Two Witnesses (Prophets) I support Elijah and John.
    There are three reasons for my choice of John.

The first reason is that both the OT and NT People of God are represented in God's promise made to Abraham that in his seed, meaning in Christ, all the peoples
    of earth would be blessed. Paul argues that Gentile believers are beneficiaries of that blessing. Furthermore, God's former people will be again grafted into the Olive Tree.

The Two Prophets are Olive Trees and Candlesticks. The Two are united
    as One in Christ and represent an eternal spiritual entity in Christ. This is
    reflected in the New Jerusalem representing the 12 Tribes and 12 Apostles.
    John is the only NT Prophet that could represent the NT Church.

The second reason is that John is best qualified to reveal the messages of the 7 Thunders as a representative of the NT Church. He knows the content or these messages which he was told to "seal up"...but must be revealed. In the context of Dan.12 and Rev.12, the period of fulfillment is declared to be a "time, time and half a time" at the End of the Time.
    Dan.7:25; Dan.12:4-11; Rev.12:10-14.

This fact is so important that Dan.7 also specifies the same period and links it to Christ's coming with the Saints to "destroy the Beast and give the Kingdom to the people of the Saints"...at the End of Time. Dan.7:22-27;

The third reason fits with John supporting the only possible proof to utterly refute the Preterist hypothesis that Christ fulfilled Mark 9:1 and Matt.16:28 in AD 70. Jesus opened this possibility by suggesting that John might not "taste death until He comes in Kingdom Power"; when He is also "about to come in Person with the angels to reward every Believer". Matt.16:27. This would force the fulfillment of Endtime Prophecy to include the grafting of Israel back into the Olive Tree "AFTER BOTH THE FULLNESS AND TIMES of the Gentiles are fulfilled". This dual purpose is required by Jesus and Paul in Luke 21:24 and Rom.11:25. Mel