1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Young Punks and Old Codgers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, May 29, 2011.

?

Should We Respect Old People?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2011.
  1. We should truly respect old people.

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. We should always show respect for old people.

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  3. We need only show respect for old folks if we feel it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No one deserves respect just because they are old.

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. I don't know.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. I think even the wickedest old person may have life some experience that an attentive younger person may learn from, if only what not to do. And godly older people without a doubt have many things to teach us.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, Brother Jim.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

John, no, unfortunatley, you will find respect for elders in America only in exceptional situations. Even in many churches they are welcome only as long as they keep their mouths shut and pretend that the new temple is as glorious as the old temple.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I told a young gun here on the BB once, you'll be old too someday. But they don't listen.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Respect is earned-not demanded or automatically given just because a person reaches a certain age. I believe that all people should be treated kindly, but my respect has to be earned--just as I believe that I have to earn the respect of others.

God tells us to love others, but I don't remember any scripture that demands us to respect others. God is certainly no respector (sp?) of persons. I had a supervisor who told me, "You might not respect me, but you have to respect my position." I had no respect for any of my many supervisors who abused their power. Some supervisors were kind and fair, but most were tyrants and showed favortism to those they liked and treated the rest us like dirt. Complaining to their boss did no good.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for taking the poll and posting.

What do you think of the dichotomy I set forth of the difference between showing respect and having respect from the heart?
    What do you think of the Scriptures I mentioned in the OP which I believe teach showing respect to older folk?