1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Dream Job

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Sapper Woody, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

So, I was curious about what other people's dream jobs are? If you could do whatever you wanted for a vocation, and were assured enough money to take care of your family, what would you do?

For the sake of keeping things interesting, let's make it, "What would you do in the secular world?"

For me, it would be one of two things. Either what I am doing right now (Military) or it would be waiting tables. I love the people interaction of waiting tables.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'People interaction', I like that. And I have fond memories of working at a 'dinner theatre' when a teenager because of just that, people interaction (sometimes I got some really nice tips too). But I have an inherent knack for the technical and love of a challenge that I think beiing a chef might satisfy also. And I could see there being lots of 'people interaction' as a chef too.

[edit to add] IMO, even the 'dream job' will 'get old' after enough time though. Ever ponder just how weary Noah or Methuselah had become at say, 900?

#2 kyredneck, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

My "dream job" starts at noon, ends at 1:00, with an hour lunch break.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's called 'retirement', and I advise you to not be in a hurry to get there, enjoy the ride along the way. :)

#4 kyredneck, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Playing centerfield for the New York Yankees would be my dream job, but 2 small details keeps me from it: I can't hit a curve ball and I couldn't out run down a toddling infant.

But in my dreams... :tongue3:

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Writing for pay with the freedom to make my own hours and just email stuff into the newspaper/client. Already did it. Maybe again one day...time will tell.

I waited tables when I was younger. It was definitely pretty fun, but mostly because I was in charge and could make others go away or work alone and make a lot.

IF it wasn't so back-breaking, my favorite besides writing would have been being a CNA third shift and actually feeling like you're doing some good and listening to people's stories.

Also worked in a bakery, alone, evening shift. That was awesome.

By now you can probably tell that I don't enjoy working with a boss right in my face and mostly prefer being left alone.

That's both my dream for work AND life. Nobody in my face. :D I definitely CAN play well with others, I just prefer not to if there's a choice.

7. Ceegen

Ceegen New Member

I build houses. I'm an apprentice carpenter and have an electrician helper's licence. I love what I do. I work with my hands and create something people will live in, and find comfort in, knowing they are safe inside a structure that I built. I didn't ever intend to be a carpenter, but this is where life lead me. It also gives so much meaning to me on a spiritual level, seeing as how Jesus was a carpenter lol.

I liked being in the US Army, it taught me how to really be disciplined, and how to love order and discipline and not shy away from it. If we harden our hearts when we are disciplined, we essentially become angry with God who appointed these powers over us. It is rebellion.

But I couldn't stay in the Army any more, and after 7 years of it I got out. I couldn't knowingly support something that I don't agree with. When I read the story about the Roman Centurions having more faith than any of all those in Israel, it truly spoke to me.

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." - Luke 3:14

Do violence to no man! How then could I be a soldier, ready to die for a nation that is in rebellion to God? At that moment, I became discontent with my wages. I could no longer willingly allow myself to do violence, under the idea that I am in the Army and serve the government. So I just ETS'd and stayed out, not even knowing what kind of work God had for me. I couldn't re-enlist and say "Im a conscientious objector." That would be unjust of me to do so, and I left with an honorable discharge in service to my country.

Life is truly full of mysteries that only God reveals to us!

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

If I wasn't retired and still had to work, my ideal job would be one where I don't have to do anything, can stay at home, and I get paid a HUGE amount of money for not doing it. :thumbs:

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would love to be an artist. I am a good technician at following a pattern, but to have the ability to create something unique....wow!!!!:thumbs:

10. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

I'd love to be a traveling singer in a gospel band or something. I sing like a crow, but it is an ability I have always admired in those blessed with vocal talent.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was growing up I wanted tobe an astronaut!:thumbsup:

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I wasn't married I'd love to be an advance scout for a major league baseball team. These are the guys that attend upcoming opponent's games and probe their lineup and pitching staffs for weaknesses and tendencies before your own team plays them.

Nice salary, travel expenses paid for, per diem meal allowance and you get paid to watch baseball. Not too shabby.

Too much travel, too much time away from wife and kids though.

13. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I'd like to be queen of the world.....sounds like the perfect job to me.

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

raise black angus on a large spread in MT, WY, SD, or ND
    I have helped work cows a few times and always end the day tired and content

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

My grandpop....drove a mob of cattle overland from the top of Western Australia down to Perth or thereabouts. A trip of a thousand kilometres or so in the early part of the 20th century. While it was just work for him, riding all day, sleeping under the big sky.....it sounds wonderful to me, leave out the dust, little water,damper and tea, and of course the wretched flies.....

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Professional caldera spotter on Santorini, or do airshows full-time in a P38.

#16 Arbo, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  17. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I'm rather partial to the P51 but I understand. That would be a rough life wouldn't it? :thumbs: You'd never work a day in your life, just get paid to play.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

I had the best possible job for me. It was ordained. <G>

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I had my dream job when I was a teen, I used to build surfboards and sell them. You make great money, and you can hang a sign on the door whenever the surf is good, but it is very dirty work. Fiberglass is very itchy!

I actually had a man from New York offer to start up a shop for me, but I was only a kid and scared to death of all the responsibility. As I got older I moved on to other things.

But, it is a nice living. I enjoy working with my hands, and I liked being my own boss.