1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your family and church services

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread Gina brought up an interesting side point:

Often in Morning worship church services teens will sit as a group.

What are your thoughts? Should teens sit with the family? Suppose a teen girl and boy are dating - should they be allowed to sit together - if so with his family or her family?

I contend that teens - say until age 17 or 18 should sit with their immediate family (normally).

Thoughts?

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

We almost never let our kids sit with others in the church service. My job as a parent is to teach good worship practices, that cannot be done when our family is divided.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have teens at our church who sit with their parents and some who sit on the second pew with their peers. It's my opinion that if they are participating in congregational singing and listening to the sermon (as much as the adults are :flower:), then I have no problem where they sit.

I don't like it when teens sit in the back, away from their parent's observations, and slouch down in the pew as if they can't wait to get out of there. THOSE teens should be with their parents.

Truthfully, it's not where there backside is seated, it's where there heart is. And as long as they are under the watchful eye of the parent and the parent isn't afraid to get up and tend to an unruly teen, then I don't have an opinion one way or another.

Which reminds me, we had a 14-year-old boy once who misbehaved in church while his mother sang in the choir and sat in the choir during the service. He sat on the second row. His father, at that time was not saved and did not come to church. One day, his mother had threatened to swoop down out of the choir and pull him by the ear and take him outside and tear up his backside.

He didn't believe her.

He should have. Because she did! :laugh::laugh:

His father is now saved and a wonderful member of our church. His blessed mother is now deceased and he is a good husband and father, himself.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

We have Childrens Church during 11 am service for the Adults, and have teens in Youth Group attending main services, but all in their corner of building, teen hangout zone!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our children have always sat with us unless they needed to sit elsewhere for a ministry reason (like when my daughter is involved in worship at the home church, we usually sit in the left but she is on the right side of the stage so instead of walking across the front of the church, she will sit over on the right). Our teens were never allowed to sit with their peers but their peers were welcome to sit with us if their parents were not in the sanctuary. Dating couples are not allowed to sit with each other but instead must sit with their respective parents. Church is not a "date" but instead a time to grow in the Lord. It's not necessary to sit together to do this.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When my kids were little, they always sat with other people during church, because dh and I were in the choir and I didn't want them sitting alone for the first half of the service. Now that dh is a pastor and I am at the piano for much of the service, my girls sit near the front with their friends. We don't have a problem with it as long as they are quiet and pay attention.

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

In our church, it makes no difference where the teenagers sit. They will be texting each other even if they are sitting beside each other. On the other hand, they do not make noise, talk or disturb others while they text.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would not put an age on it. If they are living at home they should be with the family, normally. Now what about those who are dating? First dating should be limited to persons who are a possible mate in the near future. Now if two people are dating I believe they should rotate between both sets of parents as who to set with and if there is only one set then be with them.

#8 freeatlast, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011
  9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

When the kids got into high school, we let them sit elsewhere. Our oldest wanted to sit on the second row right under the pastor's nose. That was a little close for Ron and I as we had church responsibilities that meant we had to slip out a few minutes early. Our youngest had to be within a range where we could catch his eye if need be so he was usually only a few rows away.