1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your family as an "idol"

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Don, May 12, 2003.

1. PeruSeminary Pastor Enoc

SoCM,
    I agree with you.

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

When I perform a marriage ceremony - part of the ceremony is a charge regarding priorities.

The first priority is to be to God.
    Second priority - each to the other.
    Third priority - children that God might bless the union with.
    Fourth priority - job (whether ministry or secular).
    After these come friends - hobbies, etc.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Some issues that I didn't see addressed (I apologize if I missed them).

What about these two parts of the verse?

yea, and his own life also

Yes, you are part of your own family, but I don't get the impression that the preacher considered this. It sounds more like he was talking specifically about loving your family (the others in it) more. But to say "even your own life" implies that it isn't specifically your family that is at issue, but idolatry in general -- loving anyone or anything more than the Lord such that you will serve yourself or them in place of Him. In many cases, that is most likely to be your family or yourself, whether for seemingly good reasons or bad (sense of being protective of those you love, or selfishness).

he cannot be my disciple

Is the issue of being a disciple the same thing as being saved? I know many here would say yes, that we're all disciples if we're saved. I'm not so sure that's what He's saying, though. Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not saying it's "right" to love your family more than Jesus if you aren't called to a certain role in the body. That would certainly be wrong. But I still wonder if Jesus is addressing a specific issue of discipleship.

Finally -- consider Matthew 15

Interesting that the error here is in honoring the church and its traditions more than one's father and mother.