1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your "favorite" Preacher/Pastor/Bible Teacher's Educational Background

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by izzaksdad, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This may happen some of the time, but then why isn't everyone who has been through the "hard knocks" a recipient of such a degree. I bet that if statistics on this are available, they will demonstrate that most honorary degrees are conferred upon financial benefactors or to others for political and monetary reasons.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

This may happen some of the time, but then why isn't everyone who has been through the "hard knocks" a recipient of such a degree. I bet that if statistics on this are available, they will demonstrate that most honorary degrees are conferred upon financial benefactors or to others for political and monetary reasons. </font>[/QUOTE]Some honorary doctorates are honorable, while some are dishonorable. If I remember correctly, in the late 1970's Dave Hyles, then a young (and not yet disgraced) youth pastor at his dad's FBC Hammond, received an honorary doctorate from Trinity Baptist College in Jacksonville. During that same commencement season, the youth pastor of Trinity Baptist Church in Jacksonville received an honorary doctorate from Trinity Baptist College in Jacksonville.

Most independent Baptists' docs are honorary, I suspect. I wonder how many are honorable.

Bill

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

There is an upside and downside to this. LRS is improving its own standing and creditability but it has lost its cutting edge in innovative and creative distance ed. At one time, LRS was the most reputable and innovative leader in Christian distance ed circles. With accreditation, they lost their edge. They are still a leader in Christian distance education but they are not the avant-garde any longer. Others, Liberty University for example, are doing basically what they’re doing. They are no longer doing radically new and pioneering things with distance ed. They’re not pushing the envelope anymore. It’s hard to take risks and try new things and still satisfy your accreditors, especially the more traditional regional accreditors. So, there’s an upside and a downside. I have always contended that accreditation discourages innovation and creativity.

At time, LRS did something, I believe, with life experience credit. This was an attractive idea in the early days of the embryonic distance education movement but it has fizzled because it is so hard to document and assess. Lots of criticism came because much credit was given where little was deserved. Also, degree mills jumped on this concept and have given it a bad name. On the other hand, I still believe the idea has merit with the proper controls. I do like the idea of credit for demonstrated competencies and credit by examination. The problem is that most people don’t how to assess competencies well. There is a solid tradition of this in the University of London external degree programs, which have been in existence for over 100 years.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may happen some of the time, but then why isn't everyone who has been through the "hard knocks" a recipient of such a degree. I bet that if statistics on this are available, they will demonstrate that most honorary degrees are conferred upon financial benefactors or to others for political and monetary reasons. </font>[/QUOTE]By this remark, am I to assume you are against honorary degrees and only hold valid earned doctorates? Though I must say the custom of awarding honorary degrees is not confined to religious institutions. Just ask Bill Cosby.

And please note the word I enbolded.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

This may happen some of the time, but then why isn't everyone who has been through the "hard knocks" a recipient of such a degree. I bet that if statistics on this are available, they will demonstrate that most honorary degrees are conferred upon financial benefactors or to others for political and monetary reasons. </font>[/QUOTE]By this remark, am I to assume you are against honorary degrees and only hold valid earned doctorates? Though I must say the custom of awarding honorary degrees is not confined to religious institutions. Just ask Bill Cosby.

And please note the word I enbolded.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Peter Anwar was hoping to collect an honorary doctorate from a school corresponding to each letter of the alphabet. He had no earned doctorate but he was, of course, a Nobel Laureate. When you’re a Nobel Laureate, an earned doctorate is superfluous, I suppose.

6. larryjf

larryjf New Member

7. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

From the looks of the wikipedia article, yes. A BB member once posted a reason for the degree's popularity amoungst Fundamental/Conservative Baptists. He noted that after WW2 many men were unable to continue in schools like Eastern Baptist and the University of Chicago. The schools had by the early forties gone sufficently into apostasy that men like B.M. Cedarholm (Eastern) and Richard Weeks (UoC) were unable to finish their doctoral work.