1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Opinion on these Commentaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by hawg_427, May 9, 2008.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I would like some opinions on the following Bible commentaries, what you like and do not like about them.

1. H.A. Ironside Bible Commentary
    2. Holman N.T. Commentary
    3. John Phillips N.T. Commentary

Thank's in advance,
    Hawg

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm using HA Ironside "Lectures in Revelation." I find it quite good, though I've disagreed with him on somethings.

I've read portions of Phillips, but he takes a more pastor approach, if you will. I've have the Holman commentary from James to Peter, something like that. Pastoral in nature.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have not read the latter two, but I have read Ironside. His is a decent devotional commentary.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I also have most of Ironsides commentaries and I too would consider it a good "devotional" commentary but not real deep.

It seems like about a year ago, someone reviewed the Holman Commentary on the BB. Maybe you can do a search and find it.

5. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

John Phillips commentaries are currently my favorites, and have been for several years. Whenever I am preparing to teach a book of the Bible, one of the first things I do is to get the Phillips commentary for that book.

His Exploring People of the New Testament presents a different way of looking at both major and minor characters of the NT. What might have gone through the mind of the man who crucified Christ? (ch. 34)

I got to hear him preach a few years ago, and (in addition to his wonderful British accent) was enthralled at how much of the wonder of God can be found in "The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof …" {I guess that, technically, British is not an accent, it is the rest of us who have the accent when speaking the Queen's English ;) }