1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Opinion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, May 11, 2007.

1. Servent

Servent Member

Do we in America treat the word of God "The Bible" as a true treasure, or have we gotten so use to having it around that we take it for granted. Most of us have 4 or 5 bibles around the house, goggle the word bible and you get thousands of hits. The reason I ask is because in my study this week I was reading John 12:47-49 John 12:47And 2532 if 1437 any man 5100 hear 191 my 3450 words, 4487 and 2532 believe 4100 not, 3361 I 1473 judge 2919 him 846 not: 3756 for 1063 I came 2064 not 3756 to 2443 judge 2919 the 3588 world, 2889 but 235 to 2443 save 4982 the 3588 world. 2889 Joh 12:48 He that rejecteth 114 me, 1691 and 2532 receiveth 2983 not 3361 my 3450 words, 4487 hath 2192one that judgeth 2919 him: 846 the 3588 word 3056 that 3739 I have spoken, 2980 the same 1565 shall judge 2919 him 846 in 1722 the 3588 last 2078 day. 2250 Joh 12:49 For 3754 I 1473 have not 3756 spoken 2980 of 1537 myself; 1683 but 235 the Father 3962 which sent 3992 me, 3165 he 846 gave 1325 me 3427 a commandment, 1785 what 5101 I should say, 2036 and 2532 what 5101 I should speak. 2980
    This made me think, one day I will be judged by the way I react, or don't react to the scripture.
    So if I'm in a church service and I don't like what the preacher is preaching or in a Sunday school as long as it lines up with scripture it dosent matter what I think does it, have we gotten so use to having Gods word around that we take it for granted.
    What do you think.

#1 Servent, May 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I'm sure there are some that take it for granted, although I'm not exactly sure what that looks like. I think the majority of folks are apathetic when it comes to Scripture. They either don't care what it says, or they take someone else's word for what it says.

So yes there is really very little value placed on the word of God. I think one can see this in a number of different areas. :( Of course even those that do value Scripture and care what it says don't value it enough. I know that would certainly be the case for myself :tear:

3. moscott

moscott Member

No question IMO that it is taken for granted by most. Heck, so many people who claim to know scripture constanty misquote "Money is the root of all evil." It is simply because they repeat what others say instead of reading for themselves.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I see this great country of ours( I truly mean great) is slowly migrating away from the word of God. When I was in grade school in the late 1970's, we had the pledge of allegiance, and if I remember correctly, we also had a moment of silence for prayer. Now, since the Pledge of Allegiance had two little words, Under God, they no longer have our youth say this. The USA is running away from, instead of running towards, God. My wife was getting ready for work this morning, and I had just gotten home from work, and Maury Povich was on. It was a show that had the audience guessing if these ten "women" were really men or women. The sad part was that 5 were men that looked pretty much like women. This smut has benn polluting our airways way too long!! I see a trend going away from the word of God. I believe anyone can see this. Also, the ACLU has done their best to take the Ten Commandments out of public places. This country is heading for major trouble, and the majority of our people are too blind to see it.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What can we expect ?

The Bible, God's word, was not written for mankind, as much as we hear that it was.

It was written by God, preserved by God, and allowed to be translated by God in so many languages for the benefit of His people scattered all over this planet.

Naturally those who will love it, treasure it, obey it, and refer to it, would be His people and His people only.

The heathen will not.

So, personally, I am not discouraged, because I know that no matter how this fallen world shakes its fist at God, their end is already written down and much as I feel bad about how they will end up, I cannot question God's judgment.

6. Servent

Servent Member

For the last few weeks the Lord has put on my heart the subject of revival, for myself, our church, our community, when I read these verses it really hit home for me, am I taking Gods word serious, am I doing what He expect of me, I know I have to work and take care of my family, spend time with them, but in the end what really matters, have I ran the race the way God would have me to.

7. Servent

Servent Member

I should have been more specific I was not talking about the lost world, I was referring to the Christian, In almost any church on any Sunday after the service some one will go to the preacher or his wife and tell them they did not like the way he preached, or the subject he preached on. And according to John 12:47, 48 that person or any of us will be judged on how we react.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

some good questions at hand.

Several thoughts:
    -Of course, no argument here...fewer people are letting the Word of God guide their lives.
    -Much has been spoken of reacting to the word in a preaching context. I'm afraid that one issue (I see it a bunch) is that the Sunday sermon is the only "spiritual meal" that many get. They're losing the war on the "daily time" front. Hence, we stay hooked on formula, and steak is never served...know what I mean?
    -God wants His people to hear His word...but He wants more...some of us are "hearing" it, but this "doing" part of the equation trips us up.

I'm gonna stop now, before I get convicted.;)

9. Servent

Servent Member

Exactly, if the word of God is a true treasure to us more precious to us than silver and gold then why are we not devouring it every day.
    I'm afraid this thread started because of 3X a week thread, I have been very convicted since reading some of those post, including my own.

10. Servent

Servent Member

At this time this thread has be viewed 109 times with 8 post, how are we reacting to scripture even on the BB

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

How does this lead you to any sort of conclusion about what the posters on the BB think about Scripture?

12. Servent

Servent Member

just curious

13. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Precisely.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't expect the world to read the Bible or even have a desire to, but what really disturbs me is the amount of Christians that hardly ever or never read God's word. I have always loved God's word and had a desire to read it and learn it. To me, it's God speaking directly to me. Am I weird? Why do so many Christians, even those that are in church every week, ignore the Bible? Why do so many not seem to have a desire for it? :confused: :tear:

15. Watchman

Watchman New Member

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? (Luke 18:8)
    One of the saddest things our Lord had to say, because of the only answer that would fit-No.
    I hear from missionaries on the sad state of Europe, but the U.S. is going down the same path of apathy and indifference.
    True faith comes from reading and taking heed to God's Word:
    So then faith
    cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)
    People who have itching ears depart from the teachings of the Bible, and therefore depart from the faith.

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

If that is a definition of weird, than I will gladly own up to that title!

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Does your TV not have a channel changer, an off switch, and a V-Chip?

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like the poster above said you have a channel selector.

My family have been mycologists (mushroom gatherers) for generations.

When out in the woods there are (especially here in WA State) an abundance of wild mushrooms (fungi).

Needless to say we are very cautious and selective and pick only of those varieties of which we are absolutely sure. Some will kill, some will send one on a mind-distorted "trip".

Lesson: We should consider carefully what we put into our soul just as our bodies. Don't even touch the toxic, be very selective.

Of course one can avoid mushrooms altogether or get rid of the TV.

HankD

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Why just America? The same is certainly true in Great Britain, and I expect in other countries too.

20. Servent

Servent Member

Mostly because this country was founded on the principles of God.
    Most Christians will not even read a Sunday school lesson much less read the bible daily.