1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your personal translation journey

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TomVols, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Lame...:sleep: Baptist4life is not whining, he is just making a point.
    As he said, everyone else is able to render their judgment on their chosen version, elevating them to the most accurate translation, in their words, then along comes B4L and says the same thing about the KJV and suddenly his opinion is criticized and belittled. Liberals act and argue the same across all lines.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

From the very first post -

The KJV is not the only version being critiqued here.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's no secret that the KJV used more recent and less reliable manuscripts than the newer translations. And the reason I like the TNIV is that it is by most accounts an improvement over the NIV and a faithful English rendering of the best manuscripts.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This remark goes unchallenged far too often. Without the originals we really don't know which manuscripts are more or less reliable. It is an opinion based on limited research and prejudice.

#24 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
  5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I take your point, but don't the older manuscripts agree with each other more often? In the end, all that can be done is to be as faithful as possible with our scholarship.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course, but that does not mean we can make statements like 'it is no secret that this or that version uses less reliable manuscripts' and still remain credible.

I hope is does not appear that I am picking on you. You just happened to be the guy who posted it when I felt like I needed to remind us all of that truth :) . It is the same when folks like me, who prefer the traditional text body, make unsubstantiated charges against the critical text body.

#26 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
  7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

No, that's okay. I understand.

I guess the fact that what is seemingly the best evangelical scholarship comes to this conclusion is the most convincing argument for me. But the point that we don't know much for anything absolutely sure always casts a shadow of doubt, no matter how small, on the argument.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

However, it is fair to say that the majoritiy of Bible believing scholars accept this to be a truism. Whether they're right or not is up for debate (Lord knows it is here).

Carry on. :thumbsup:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Possibly, though being a sceptic I would have to see the numbers :).

Even if, the majority is not always right. How do they know? Have they compared them to the originals? They too are guessing.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

True.

We could do a poll, but my guess is that the BB would not yield a representative sample.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I wouldn't say "guess." It's a matter of looking at the evidence and weighing it. Evidence is never counted - it's always weighed. Witnesses may be counted and weighed, but that's another story.

Either way, we do have the Word of God. And I'm thankful.

12. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started out with a KJV. After about 6 months, I switched to the Living Bible (paraphrase of the 70s) but used the KJV and then a RSV as my take to church Bible. After about 3 years of this I switched to the NIV (around 1980) and used the NIV until about 2 years ago. The NKJV is my main study Bible version now.

As a side note:

I have a copy of the MacArthur SB in the NASB and really like this but it is a cloth cover and for reasons not easy to explain I perfer leather. Most leather Bibles today that cost less than $150.00 are really bad workmanship. So, when the MacArthur SB comes out in ESV in August, I plan to buy it and will make it my main study Bible. Why you ask? Because Crossways does a much better job of binding than Nelson or Zondervan. If Nelson would only do a better job binding the NKJV or the NASB I would buy a leather MacArthur today. The ESV, in my opinion is good but not as good as the NASB, in my opinion.

13. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My WHOLE POINT is that two people made the EXACT same statement I made (which I made to get your reaction) and NO ONE challenged what they posted! ONLY the KJV post got responded to! Why wasn't the same response made to them? BTW, I don't call OBVIOUS BIAS being pointed out as "whining". My gosh!

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

True that :).

And yes, I confess, 'guess' was a little provocatory :).

15. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Started out with the NKJV, then went to the NIV [our church uses the NIV], then went to the KJV and have remained there since.

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I was reading all of the thread and thinking "Am I the only one who started with a MV (NIV) and ended up KJV. Then "WHAM", the last post follows my pattern. FriendOfGod and I are now joined like blood brothers or sumptin'

I was saved in 1983, went to the mall and bought an NIV. Didn't know there were multiple versions. Used it for a few years. Bought a KJV, a NKJ, and finally settled on a Thompson Chain KJ. Have worn it completely out. Some pages are nothing but highliter and underlines, but I never want to start with another, I'll never find anything. I have electronic versions of ESV and NASV that I check from time to time.

Oh, And I think my vesion is the most accurate:smilewinkgrin:

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've found the opposite. Crossway Bibles Gen leather tend to be what other publishers' bonded leather feels like.
    :rolleyes:
    It is indeed rare.
    Interesting. The NIV really didn't get around til the later 80s and I didn't remember seeing it in anything but Christian bookstores until then. What mall type store carried it then? Waldenbooks?

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the 1975-6 era, we had young people coming to our Camp who were using the Living Bible Paraphrase and the NIV. By 1984 the Living had about dropped off the radar, with the NIV picking up the difference.​

Memorization as a group (a great feature of the "camp experience" before each meal) became a challenge. I remember one year where the entire camp was memorizing Rom 5:1-12, that the very first phrase brought controversy. (5:1 below; also 5:9 has same distinction)

KJV 1769 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

NIV Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ

NASB Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

From that point we just made a "cheat sheet" with our choice of text and required all memorization from our choice! But just imagine 250 jr high students all questioning the Bible teacher (ME) and the guest evangelists and other pastors over which was "right".

Is justification a continuous action or a past action? Trust me, it showed the difference between the KJV and modern translations in spades

19. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

My family and I weren't exactly KJVO, but we had always heard bad things about the new translations, especially the NIV and we avoided them like the plague. We were in Greenville, SC and we visited a church that uses the ESV. My mom went to the pastor to ask why he used the ESV, and he advised her to read a book (the name escapes me). And my parents came to the conclusion that the new translations were acceptable. That was two years ago. I kept using the KJV just because that was what I was used to, until my sister bought me an ESV. I read it for a little while but it was to weird reading the bible without all the "thee"s, "thou"s, and "est" endings. Then I lost my King James, so I read from the ESV everyday, and my comprehension of the bible exploded. I have been using the ESV as my main bible for about a year now, and I use others (NASB, NIV, NLT) for comparison.

(BTW, baptist4life, the reason I think your post raised controversy is that you made an absolute statement "The KJV is the most accurate translation!", while others said "I think" or "IMO/IMHO".)

20. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No..........read them again....these are their EXACT statements...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.