1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your personal translation journey

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TomVols, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Don't you just love conspiracy theories? Watch out KJVO people, the boogie man is out to get you on the Baptist Board.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No....mine was an honest question.
    Why was a statement about other versions being the "most accurate" not even noticed, but my statement about the KJV being "most accurate" raised all kinds of responses?

This is a fair question? Why the childish answers?

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Most responded because you often try to make the anti-KJVO majority around here into a bunch of conspirators as if it's so unfair. My eleven year old is always pointing out how unfair things are (the bus drive is unfair, his teachers are unfair, and his mom and dad are especially unfair.) Makes me wonder who is really acting childish around here?

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

All I have to say to that post is, "Nanny, nanny, boo-boo!" :laugh:

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As I pointed out, two other versions, the ESV and TNIV were criticised in the very first post. It is not only the KJV that has been criticised.

6. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I think the Bible's I read as a kid were KJV. My parents bought me a NIV and that was all I read until recently. Now I use a NASB. I'm very happy with it.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I think it's still fair to point out that evangelicals overwhelmingly agree that the TNIV or NIV or ESV or NASB or most other modern scholarly translations are more accurate renderings. If someone doesn't believe this, that's their business and they are free to say so, but it's not generally accepted.

8. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I appreciate your answer CK. Thank you. Nice talking to an adult.

9. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidence of that? I've not seen or heard it. I'm not saying you can't show me evidence, I'm just asking you to do it.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I too would like to see some substantiation that there is 'overwhelming' agreement.

I am not adverse to learning more. I know there is disagreement and I realise that many modern scholars do prefer the CT body, but am not so certain about this overwhelming agreement.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am afraid that it will come down to your definition of "evangelical" and "scholar". Define those terms and then perhaps we can form a consensus.

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Back to the OP

I started out using the KJV. That is just what my parents used and what my church used. We were not kjvo but that was our preferred translation. We did have a nkjv but didn't use it much. Before I went to college, I had somebody approach me with his kjv only theory. He kept wanting me to say that the kjv was the only Bible and all others were corrupt. I couldn't figure out why I had to say this seeing as how I only used the KJV at that time. That is what triggered my interest in studying. I thought it looked suspect because of him trying to teach me something extreme and seeing as I use the KJV.

I got a NASB and because I wanted to compare and see why there were differences. I read Sam Gipps. The Answer Book which really helped me determine that the kjv only theory was wrong. Too many logical leaps and little evidence. I began to enjoy that NASB a lot and then began reading the ESV. The ESV is my favorite translation now, even though I do use the NASB and the KJV too.

13. wpbarrett

wpbarrett New Member

Mex, its nanner nanner booh booh. what translation did you get nanny nanny booh booh from ? :tongue3:

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hey, I memorized it at least 45 years ago- can't remember now.

:smilewinkgrin:

15. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I can't remember what store it was from or if it was a big book retailer or christian bookstore. It was in Lima Ohio. It is a brown hard cover. Not leather. The pages are very thin. It may have been the new thing on display or something. I knew nothing and just bought the first one I saw. I didn't even know what john 3:16 was. I had to ask my Father-in-Law when i saw it on TV during a football game. At least I did recognize it was a Bible verse.

16. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received a first edition NIV from my local baptist Church in 1979. I don't have that one anymore, but I still use the NIV Study Bible today. I went through a short stint as a KJVO, but study has changed my mind.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chronologically :
    Douay-Rheims (Confraternity Edition-RCC).
    KJV
    NKJV/NIV

Present use:
    KJV/NKJV
    NIV
    Douay-Rheims (on rare occasions).
    About 30 other electronically stored English Bible both on hard disk and on the WWW.

I prefer Traditional Text based Bibles.

As a side issue, I'm wondering if that when folks say "more accurate" they really mean "more understandable".

HankD

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

:Like: Oh wait this isn't Facebook, where is the retweet button :)

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Not really, at least I'm not, although the best of modern versions are inherently understandable.

To be quite honest, in my own journey, the only people I've seen or heard still using primarily the KJV or NKJV were some pastors and a few congregants. I know there is a KJVO movement, but those are few and far between.

I guess the overwhelming evidence I previously referred to is the fact that you will not hear anyone using the KJV primarily in any academic or scholarly environment, and the more theologically informed congregations I've been a part of have all used the NIV or ESV as their primary texts. You don't find KJV being used in scholarly journals or other scholarly works, and nearly all of these folks consider it to be one of the least accurate.

In short, the only ones who seem to use it primarily, other than are rare few that are sprinkled among major evangelical circles, are some IFB and here and there in the SBC.

20. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! You need to get out more, I guess! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.