1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Seminary Recommendation

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Good points.

Spong is a liberal of liberals.

I think one can be fairly conservative but still have some nontraditional views, such as a nonliteral Genesis. Many would not agree with me on this point. It is still quite possible to see the scriptures as inerrant while not subscribing wholesale to the standard literalist stance.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I'm an Arminian. If I said "I believe in particular redemption, but I believe it includes everyone," you'd know I was either ignorant or dishonest.

The same goes for a "moderate" who says "I believe the Bible is inerrant except for the places where it errs." Well, duh! For those guys, "faith and practice" is always restricted to passages the moderate agrees with. When he disagrees, it isn't faith and practice.

"Inerrancy" has already been defined. We can believe or disbelieve it, but redefining it is just the old double-shuffle.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or a universalist [​IMG] .

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Yeah, you're right, sort of.

Had I used the term "definite atonement," universalism would be the implied system. But the words "particular" and "everyone" contradict one another, so I obviously had one foot ashore and one in the boat.

I should have said "If I said that I was an Arminian and believed in particular redemption, but believed that it applied to everybody..." Then you'd know I wasn't a universalist, since that would be contrary to Arminianism.

But you knew that anyway...

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

well I just graduated from SWBTS...but, sadly, I can't recommend it for it is an unhappy place right now

I can however suggest Dallas Theological and their ThM (which is their basic ministry degree) as a robust and truly informing degree for someone pursuing ministry.

6. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious.......
    Why do you say it is an unhappy place? Please DO NOT tell about dirty laundry or individual personal opinions, as that will not help anything. But I am interested in overall trends and what's going on with the schools.

Paige Patterson is coming to speak at my church in November, so I'm especially interested.

Glad to see you respect DTS. Everyone that I've met from there have been very good, solid people.

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

What's going on down there? A friend of mine just graduated from there with her MACE and said she would not recommend it to anyone. She said there was talk about making the men wear coats and ties and the women dresses. I didn't get the full story though.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just curious.......
    Why do you say it is an unhappy place? Please DO NOT tell about dirty laundry or individual personal opinions, as that will not help anything. But I am interested in overall trends and what's going on with the schools.

Paige Patterson is coming to speak at my church in November, so I'm especially interested.

Glad to see you respect DTS. Everyone that I've met from there have been very good, solid people.
    </font>[/QUOTE]When you see Patterson just ask him why Dr. Doug Jones is no longer the registrar at SWBTS.

9. Baptist born Baptist bred

I must disagree about SWBTS. I think it is an exciting place to be. Many new bright professors have been added to the faculty including Emir Caner, Danny Forshee, Keith Eitel, and others.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

my experience at SWBTS was good and good enough for seminary I suppose...though my undergrad institution provided me with more ministry relationships. I just don't suggest anyone to go there right now.

During my time at SWBTS there was a turn over of 20+ full time theology faculty members. With this turn over there were many people who were forced out for purely political reasons (e.g. not because they were theologically moderate or liberal.) Also there was an extended distrust between the administration and the student body because of some actions of people within the administration. (Truthfully there is just some stuff that students shouldn't concern themselves with because its not their business, but there were several matters which needed to be addressed in our academic community and never were.)

I believe seminary is to be a place where you gain disciplines and academic knowledge to carry you through a lifetime of ministry. The community and fellowship of students builds into this. From my involvement (and I was extremely involved while at SWBTS) the student body suffered greatly during this time.

Another matter was the student body lacked a coherent vision for their futures. The leaders of institution during this transition lacked a solid vision and thus the students' visions were perishing. There was a lack of a global vision for Christ's Kingdom amongst the students.

I became another number in a long line of students who were processed through the seminary simply for the sake of building numbers. At issue is the quantitative growth in students, not qualitative. There was a lack of overal concern for the students betterment and a more pointed emphasis on settling scores, wrapping up legacies, and finishing out plans laid decades earlier.

Of course the ridiculous politics of the two conventions in Texas found a focal point at SWBTS. This didn't help either. There are good people in both conventions, there are bad people too.

Maybe some good days are ahead for SWBTS. I pray and hope for the best for that school, its leaders, its profs, and its students. Yet I still cannot recommend it for a student right now, there are much happier options out there.

not bashing anyone, just telling the facts from my 3 years at SWBTS.

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

12. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Pressler! People still believe what he says? How do you know Pressler is lying ... his lips are moving.

13. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I think it's helpful for people to hear how things really are. There are growing pains in several if not all the SBC seminaries. IMO there are identity and vision issues big-time--which are expected when schools go through such major changes like they have. That's one of the reasons I think it is naive to pronounce SWBTS and SBTS world class schools. In time, maybe.

14. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Riiiight. :rolleyes:

15. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Really? You've had trouble telling the differences in the SBC?

No doubt that rejection of inerrancy makes one a liberal. It also makes one no longer an evangelical (if that label matters to some).

Moreover, this position of "partial inerrancy" is simply absurd. It's self-contradictory. But, sadly, it makes sense that liberal Baptists would be inconsistent here as well.

16. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Really? You've had trouble telling the differences in the SBC?
    No doubt that rejection of inerrancy makes one a liberal. It also makes one no longer an evangelical (if that label matters to some).
    some [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]The National Association of Evangelicals would have a much smaller membership if you were running the show. While I probably share your position on Inerrancy, you exclude a lot of people including some soul winners from Nazarene Churches, Methodists, Presbyterians,Lutherans and CBF churches who may very well be conservative in every other area of doctrine when you say inerrancy is one of the essentials to be evangelical. I'd agree that it is an essential of Fundamentalism, but not Evangelicalism.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

For reasons alreadly listed, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Folks, the topic at hand is "Recommending a Seminary." We're not here to discuss the resurgence in the SBC and its characters. If you want to talk about this relative to the seminaries, do so STRICTLY. Otherwise, it's not germane.

Thanks!

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Preach is right about the issues at SWBTS - but, depending upon the degree you are looking for, I would still consider SWBTS. The Educational Ministries School is excellent (you can even get some great women proffs over there!) Richard Ross and Wes Black are outstanding in the youth field, and I would put SWBTS's psychology and counseling school right at the top as well. Hopefully attention will continue to be directed to the theology school and making sure everyone goes to chapel allowing the EM school to continue to do great things without much interference.

Tom, I dont think this is the first or last time a thread has been hijacked - I venture to guess that you may have hijacked a thread or two in your years on this board!

20. RandR

RandR New Member

In keeping with Tom's admonition to stay on topic, while also wanting to chime in on the on the situation at SWBTS....

I'd recommend NOBTS for the reasons already mentioned, because of its setting right in the middle of a mission field, because of Chuck Kelley, and because I love Louisiana...laissez les bon temps rouler.

I would also recommend it over my Texas alma mater because it doesn't have the baggage of an insecure provost who has (through his policies, "leadership" style, and personal reasons) run off many tenured faculty, who has surrounded himself with sycophants (bright young scholars though they might be), who has all but killed two post-graduate programs, and who has never once served in any capacity in a local church.