1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

your thoughts on l Corinthians 11:1-15

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by baptistk, May 4, 2004.

1. baptistk

baptistk New Member

I'd like to have everyones thoughts on l Corinthians 11:1-15. How does everyone take this?

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered [them] to you. 3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having [his] head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with [her] head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. 12 For as the woman [is] of the man, even so [is] the man also by the woman; but all things of God. 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Many people mistakenly think this verse is telling women to keep their heads covered. But that is not the case. In this context, the "head covering" is a symbol for headship. A man who prays without authority dishonors Christ. A women who does the same without her spouse's blessing dishonors her spouse. The examples become more clear when you take into consideration the customs of headwear at that time. It doesn't say men and women can't pray or prophesy, nor does it require or discourage men and women in their head attire. Since head attire customs today are not what they were then, the context of this verse is often difficult to discern. One thing, however, is clear. This verse is NOT intented to require women from keeping their heads covered.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Here we go again :( .

Welcome to the board baptistk. If you want a full range of what people think do a search on head coverings. This topic is frequently and well covered on this board.

In fact, there is a current thread here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/2611.html

Sadly, it is a topic that usually gets quite ugly :( .

4. baptistk

baptistk New Member

Thanks, you are really helping me out.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is how the ASV translates it:

1 Corinthians 11:3-8 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
    4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoreth his head.
    5 But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonoreth her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven.
    6 For if a woman is not veiled, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame to a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be veiled.
    7 For a man indeed ought not to have his head veiled, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
    8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man:

God's command for a woman to wear a headcovering (to my knowledge) has never been rescinded.
    DHK