1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your translational standard cannot be applied across the board

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many times in these threads certain claims are made about how translations should be done. Further, claims are made that if these items are not up a given poster's personal standard than that version, or versions are distorting the Word of God. I say nonsense to those baseless charges.

"Any principle upon which we insist for English ought also to be true for any other language. I fear some of our pronouncements would seem a bit foolish in other contexts." ( From a paper by Rod Decker : What Does a Translator Have to Offer the Reader? page 4)

"If the only faithful translation is one that is primarily word-focused like the NASB, ESV or KJV, then most of the world's languages cannot have atruly faithful translation." (Taken from Dave Brunn's book :One Bible, Many Versions page 135)

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would just say that the way chosen by the translators of those versions would mak them more accurate to the original language textst han those adopting a more dynamic style..

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you have proven how poor your comprehension is even when you quote an entire post of mine.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The general philosophy of those advocation a freer rendering translation helps in reading and understanding, at cost of overall accurarcy!

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To allow them to fit th translation into their view on translation...

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A principle is foundational. There are esentials for the Christian faith and there must be foundational principles for Bible translation that apply equally across the board. That is, they must have relevance to any language.

If a principle in English Bible translation does not apply to many other languages --then one must yield and admit that said principle is not that important in the grand scheme of things.

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The principle should be that the translation is as close to the original as it is possible to be consistent with good grammar and reasonable readability. I am not qualified to speak on translations other than English and, maybe, French, but I see no reason why that principle should not hold good for all languages. But even if it doesn't, that is no reason at all why we shouldn't have accurate translations in English.
    I am not an unqualified fan of the Trinitarian Bible Society, but it translates into around 40 languages these days, including Shona and Vietnamese, and always uses the Formal Equivalence Principle.
    http://www.tbsbibles.org/aims
    http://www.tbsbibles.org/uk/news/translation

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the choice is between making a translation easier to read, or staying more faithful to the original language texts, should aim for accuracy...

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On that we are all agreed. But I was making reference to other issues that Fundamentalists and Evangelicals often voice.
    No complaint from me on that score. But to get down to the nitty gritty --what exactly does accuracy in Bible translation entail? There are difference of opinion on that.

For instance, accuracy does not = "literal"

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "As we seek to determine what practices are acceptable in translation, we need to include the evidence that exists in all living languages of the world." (From Dave Brunn's book cited in the OP, p.146)

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't access the site now, but they come down rather hard on every translation but the KJV.

Here's a snip of what was said about the ESV:"...because of the textual basis and translational errors carried over from the RSV it cannot be considered a trustworthy translation of the Bible." That's absurd.
    Biblica, which was formerly known as the International Bible Society does quite good work.
    In 2015 it published new and revised tranlations for languages with a combined total of 685 million.

Kiswahili revision
    Shona, German, French, Swedish, Kurdish Sorani New Testament, and Spanish NVI.

Projects are under way to service 3 billion people; 3 Philippine translations, 12 for Africa, ones for Europe and the Middle East, Spanish and Portuguese, and 7 for India.

Most, if not all use the translational method of the NIV --a mix of formal and functional.
    Not a good idea --especially if they want to put it in an equivalent manner to that of the KJV. The translations would be tortured, to say the least. But, a poor translation is better than none at all.