1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your View On The Roman Catholics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist4life, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You deny that there are Baptists with extra-Biblical and borderline heretical beliefs?

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

So are you saying trusting in Christ is not enough, that they also have to have a proper understanding of all things?

Couldn't someone (sadly) stay an immature Christian and barely move past that point?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please enlighten us- what is the RCC definition?

4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe one can be saved while attending a RCC. I DO NOT believe a truly saved person would STAY in a RCC.

5. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're not talking about "Baptists", we're talking about CHRISTIANS.

6. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A RCC "dogma" is something that MUST BE BELIEVED to remain in the RCC. If, as a RC, you do not believe those things, then according to the RCC, you are not a RC.

I suggest you read the catechism of the RCC. What MUST be believed if one wants to have any hope of Heaven. THAT is NOT the same Gospel as what Christians believe.

#26 Baptist4life, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
  7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ok, then, if you want to nit-pick:

You deny that there are Christians with extra-Biblical and borderline heretical beliefs?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many of those things that you listed are not dogma.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Just how many of those things sends them to hell? Lets us make a hypothetical. Supposed someone you believed to be saved and also believed basically all the same things you did, but you find out for some odd reason also believed in Mary's assumption, are they bound for hell because of this one difference?

10. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goodness! I'm flabbergasted at the responses on here! The RCC is about as FALSE as it can be. Do your own research on it, see what they teach, and then come back and tell me they are Christians. :BangHead:

http://forums.carm.org/v/forumdisplay.php?f=15

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Have you met and spoken to a Catholic? Have you been in the Catholic church? Have you spoken to any priest?

If not, you're going by outside sources - hearsay. Not every Catholic believes every single thing you say. Talk to one. They won't bite.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I have known many. One of my best friends mom growing up was a dear woman that IMO was saved. Her husband was always a devout catholic, and she although she was not raised a catholic, joined because of him. Although obviously not the wisest and most biblical thing to do (marrying a catholic), she chose to follow her husbands leadership. I don't know about the rest of the family, but I always thought she was saved. Am I to just believe she couldn't possible be for the sole reason because as you say she stayed in the catholic church with her husband and family?

#32 Steven2006, Jan 12, 2010
  13. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My in-laws are RC's, EVERY single one of them! My wife was a non-practicing RC who was saved and left the RCC. I have bro-in-laws, sis-in-laws, aunts, uncles, about 200 in all! Irish Roman Catholics with an average of about 7 kids per family! My wife's aunt is a nun, and an uncle is a priest. I've been married into this family for 28 years, so yes, I've had LOTS of interaction, and discussions with catholics.

#33 Baptist4life, Jan 12, 2010
  14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would no more say that ALL Catholics are lost any more than I would say that ALL Baptists (Presbys, Bible Church, etc.) are saved. Most folks are saved IN SPITE OF being church members, IMHO.

I have personally known Catholic people who gave a good testimony of salvation by faith in Christ and yet they saw no need to leave the church. One was a doctor who worked with a Baptist medical missions team that came to our city in Mexico every year. He would even say amen when I preached the Gospel.

15. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And I know many Mormons who will tell you the same thing. Doesn't make it so.

Read a little in the link I posted. I'm off to bed.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good night.

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Ann, I think everything on Baptist4life's list is Catholic dogma, although he has recited them in a rather derisive manner.

#37 Zenas, Jan 12, 2010
  18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Ironically I probably agree with much of what you believe about the RCC.
    But when you make absolutes like these with absolutely no wiggle room is when you lose me.

"I do not believe Roman Catholics are Christians"
    "I DO NOT believe a truly saved person would STAY in a RCC"

After reading your post about your wife's family, I think maybe that explains, and is understandable why you have such strong personal feelings about this and why you have formed such rigid absolutes. Probably explains why you feel the need to start a post like this as well.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Very astute statements.

20. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

My personal exposure to Catholics, and I am speaking only of the Catholic faithful, is that they are very devout in their beliefs and the observance of their faith. They love God and have a disciplined prayer life, although most of their prayers are liturgical, e.g., the rosary. For the most part they are lacking in knowledge of the Bible. They are also not very good at explaining their faith to others, probably because they don’t understand it very well themselves. If you ask a Catholic why they do a certain thing, he will most likely say, “Because the Church says so.” I find this somewhat perplexing because most of the faithful have attended Catholic schools where time is allotted exclusively to religious education.

I have listened to EWTN radio in my car about 50 minutes a day for more than four years, and have concluded that the Catholic Church does indeed teach a true gospel. These people speak of cultivating a faithful prayer life, of having a closer and more personal relationship with God, of studying the Bible, of regular worship attendance, of opposition to moral depravity, abortion and homosexual unions and of many other things advocated by Baptists. To be sure, they also speak of prayers to saints, the sacraments, the Virgin Mary, and the pope who they usually call the Holy Father. Some of these things are consistent with scripture, although Baptists usually ignore or gloss over that scripture. Others cannot be found in scripture, although nothing they teach actually contravenes scripture.
    From this 800-900 hours of listening to Catholic radio, I must conclude that only one of the following can be true:

1. The people on EWTN don’t understand Catholicism;

2. The people on EWTN understand Catholicism and are lying; or

3. The Catholic faith is just as Christian as the Baptist faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.