1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your views on Christian Rap, Rock and Christian metal???

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jul 28, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

James, who said that christian rock = worship?

Christian rock = christians making rock music where they sing about christian topics are at least things which somehow point out to Jesus. What's so bad about this?
    You know what your problem is? You made bad experiences with secular rock and because of this you also have an aversion against rock in general and this means you also don't like christian rock. I understand this. But you cannot condemn something just because of your bad experiences.
    This is like somebody who went to the church of Satan and later on converts to christianity who says I don't go to any church because of my bad experiences at the church of Satan.

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

In times past the church has often resorted to using paganism to bring more people into the church but instead it ALWAYS results in bring the world into the church.

Jesus and the truth is beautiful and doesnt need Satan's methods to help it along.

Claudia

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK then, it begs the next question...

At what point is music "pagan?"

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listen to and like various kinds of CCM. When I am lifting weights or peddling away on the old exercise bike, the music helps me to go harder and longer. I would not use most of it in a worship setting, but it does have its place.

5. nate

nate New Member

I'm all for CCM, Christian Rap, Christian Metal I view most artist in these categories as Christian entertainment. Some do reach out with their lyrics. I find the Christian rap record label Cross Movement artist's to be spiritually challenging. I have personally spoken to one of their rappers he's in Bible College and truely loves the Lord I'm certainly not against this.
    In Christ,
    Nate

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same as Christian football, basketball and baseball.

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

The only thing I can say about Christian hard rock/metal is I wish radio stations would play more of it.

Admittedly, most of what out there is rather meaningless when it comes to pointing people to Christ in fact there is a good bunch of it out there where you wouldn't know who the band is refering to if you didn't read their bios. Then there are the bands where the only difference between them and Brittney Spears is they use 'Lord 'instead of 'baby'. But at least they are not glorifying adultry, violence, drugs, etc. like the secular bands tend to do. There are some who are most unambigious and have deep lyrics sharing the Gospel of Christ Kutless' Passion comes to mind. Speaking of whom, I can't wait for Rock the Universe where they are going to be in concert.

Of course, being a Lutheran there are many bands out there that I won't listen to because of bad theology.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

No, Christian rock is like going to the church of Satan and trying to worship Jesus at it's altar. I can only tell you what I know to be true. Like I said, those who will not heed the warnings of others will have to learn the lessons themselves. Most people would not have to think about whether vomit tastes good or not, but some people won't take your word for it.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't know that "to be true"...you perceive it to be true, big difference. I would suggest to those who do not think Christian metal can be used as "worship" to listen to the lyrics of Kutless. One song in particular's words are more powerful than most songs.

Nail pierced hands, they run with blood.
    A splitting brow, forced by the thorns.
    His face is writhing with the pain
    ...yet it's comforting to me.

If you can't worship God while listening to that, you have problems.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Dig in, brother. I'm full.

11. gekko

gekko New Member

i must like this chapter or something...

read romans 14. :D

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

My only question would be this. Should Romans 14 be used as a justification for eating broken glass, or poisonous mushrooms? Just because you can eat it, that doesn't mean its good for you.

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Oh, the drumbeat is satanic, dude.

:laugh:

There's plenty of worldliness in any genre of "Christian" music you want to point to. It isn't the music that's worldly, you see, it's the people pushing the music to make a buck.

Me, I enjoy metal, hardcore, thrash, punk, screamo, and would definitely enjoy Christian input in these genres.

14. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

mmm... mushrooms :smilewinkgrin: actually I hate mushrooms.

I think that Rms 14 is rather appropriate, I am well aware that my tastes in music are a stumbling block for some of my fellow brothers and sisters and so I act accordingly. I do not force people to listen to things they would consider offensive. I, myself, find it a relief that there are bands playing a style of music that I enjoy where I don't find myself cringing at the lyrics.

At the same time as I read the rants of anti-Rock people, I begin to think there are some people who are never happy unless they have something to rant against. "Dial-the-Truth" coming fore most to mind. BTW they have been known to edit clips and lyrics to get them to say what they want them to say.

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Let me guess, everything which you don't like is pagan, right?

This is funny. :smilewinkgrin:
    But I also realize it doesn't many any sense to argue with the metal-haters. I'm gonna keep listening to christian metal. *headbang* :laugh::wavey:

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yeah, it's the evil beat. It was taken from native tribes in the jungle which hit their drums until they reach a state of extasy. And this means that any kind of drum is satanic and any kind of fast beat is satanic, too. Maybe the heart beat also is satanic? :eek::eek:

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You forgot the backbeat. That's Satanic too. Oh, and we didn't even mention evil chords. :smilewinkgrin:

Interesting (at least to me) anecdote.

I played a wedding a few weeks ago and the bride chose a particular song that had the words "Rock = 92" on the sheet music. For those who aren't musical, this refers to the style of play and the tempo. I didn't play it as written, but the song definitely had a rock feel to it. Afterwards, I was complimented by somebody who once told me that the backbeat is evil and that certain chords are evil. I think that if he knew the song had "Rock" on the sheet music that he wouldn't have liked the song at all.

The moral of the story is that I don't think those who are against rock music can always pick out what they think is evil about a song.

#37 ccrobinson, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think the problem lies in too many thinking that if they don't like something/someone/etc., God must not like them either.

19. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

There are some great bands out there like "Seven Places" or "Kutless" who's lyrics are extremly Christ oriented. Then there are those bands out there like "Demon Hunter" or "As I Lay Dying" but these bands are great entertainment. They don't encourage drug use/sex/violence and are great wholesome entertainment.

20. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Demon Hunter rocks!!! :thumbs:
    I just did a Bible Study comparing their song Infected with Psalm 6.

p.s. we need a headbanging smilie.