1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You're favorite book of the bible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A little bit. I have seen his writings here and there.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Proverbs very much ... nuggets of truth in just a sentence or two.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. George is a highly respected scholar at Beeson Divinity which is at Samford University in Birmingham, AL. He is baptist and reformed. I met him once and he couldn't have been nicer. Though I'm not Calvinist, his writings can be very useful as he avoids much of the rhetoric that some Calvinists are more prone to spout and is very well researched.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

5. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Haggai currently.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

Hosea, for a long time. The patient love and forgiveness he shows his prostitute-wife is the perfect image of God's love for us, the sinner saved by grace, just as God intended it to be such an image for Israel.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Revmitchell's link:

"What did Luther mean when he called James “a right strawy epistle” (eyn rechte stroern Epistel)? The image of straw recalls the Pauline metaphor of “wood, hay and stubble” (1 Cor 3:12), “Holz, Stroh oder Heu” in Luther’s rendering, the faulty materials which some use in trying to build on the foundation of Christ. Some doubtful epistles such as Hebrews were a mixture of worthless and valuable mate- rials, but James was really (rechte) an epistle of straw!

In his “Preface to the Epistle of James” Luther cited three reasons for this harsh negative judgment......" :

" First, James contradicts Paul and all the rest of the Scripture in ascribing justification to works....."

"...Second, it does not really preach or inculcate Christ. There is no mention of the passion, the resurrection, or the Spirit of Christ...."

"Third, granted the good intentions of the author, i.e., to guard against a false view of faith without works, he was unequal to the task. Thus Luther con- cluded that the author must have been “some good, pious man, who took a few sayings from the disciples of the apostles and thus tossed them off on paper.”...."