1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Youth Ministry; Man Created not Biblically Mandated

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by T Alan, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

sho nuff!! sides , I 'm agin such things after some maturing, remember.

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Wow. I have never seen a "named" youth group. Or...anything else you mentioned. Anywhere. Except charismatic/Pentecostal churches.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither have I. But I can't for the life of me think of a reason that naming your youth group would be objectionable. Why would anyone think that wrong?

I don't go to Pentecostal churches so can't comment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#83 InTheLight, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, how do you deal with a child who is from an unsaved family and the message that we give them is not backed up in their household by the actions of the parents? We STILL show them God's Word and challenge them to live a life that is in line with Scripture and not what they see in others around them.

We absolutely need to be encouraging families and teaching our parents to be godly leaders in their homes. We have many father/daughter, mother/son, father/son, mother/daughter events through the year in addition to seminars, classes and special events to teach parents the Biblical concepts of parenting and to encourage the family together. I think the most recent thing was not at our church but we encouraged parents to go to a seminar with Gregg Harris on "Teaching Kids to do Hard Things". I heard it was excellent.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ours has the best sound system!! My husband sold his Laser sailboat when he was 19 to buy the components to build a sound system for a Christian concert in the park and this thing was great. It is still being used in our youth room 35 years later and while the thing is huge, you can't beat the sound!! :)

But they should be in church on Sunday morning so the Sunday morning experience should never be a surprise.

Our church had a discussion about this and while some of the Jesus Culture songs are very good, we've chosen to not use them due to their theology. We are currently deciding what to do with Hillsong's songs as well. I'm not sure what you have against Passion and Louie but I can tell you that he's the real thing. :) I'm happy to use the Passion stuff after working with them on the Passion Subway Series at our church which I think was 10 years ago. My husband is still in touch with them. I'll never forget how Louie was just about ready to go on to start the conference/concert when he turned around, called the band members over (Charlie Hall's band) and said that he wanted to stop and pray for my husband who was experiencing a lot of pain from a recently severely broken foot and a lot of complications). I can tell you that was a mighty prayer time. :)

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann-
    Alan has made up his mind - so lets not waste any more time confusing him with the facts.

7. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Ann, I am glad and encouraged by the decision your Church has made in ref to JC and Hillsong United. As for Louie,
    Louie is too friendly with Charismatics for my liking. He has Joyce Meyers as a speaker at the Passion conf. Makes me SMH. Also promotes Jesus Culture and Hillsong. Heretics of a Feather you know. You should speak to him if you have opportunity.

8. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Scarlett O', Could you please find and comment with a quote from the post you say I made with the "highlighted" portion of the above quote. I looked and couldn't find me saying "those" words. Thanks I'll respond after that is done.

Well, As I previously said, perhaps it just my area with Baptist doing it.

ITL, may I clarify, I didn't intend to imply that "naming" them was objectionable. I was pointing out that some of the names were a little "out there" ie "Clones of Christ"...

Please for the Love of God, push that button. You wear on my good will.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just did

10. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Thank you LORD, thou are my refuge and my shield.

11. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Ann, please re-read my post. This was the pastor's household.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I understand that but in my opinion, it's no different. You deal with teaching the child the right thing regardless of how his family or friends deal with it. If it's Biblical, you teach it. The pastor's family who is not following the Bible is no different than the worldly family that is not following the Bible. But you asked how are you able to teach a child in that situation and I replied as such - no differently than any other family that is not doing right.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Due to the length of this thread in a non-debate forum, it has been closed.

Should you like to carry on a debate about youth ministry, please take the thread to an appropriate debate forum, but not this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.