Youth Trip

Discussion in 'Missions / Witnessing / eVangelism' started by Aaron, May 7, 2001.

  1. Aaron

    Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2000
    Messages:
    15,687
    Likes Received:
    242
    I'm planning a youth trip next month to Eureka Springs, AR to see the Great Passion Play.

    Can someone help me with finding resources on creating behavior guidelines and dress codes that are conservative, yet do not seem too stifling?

    Maybe you could share with me the guidelines you employ when your church goes out with the youth.

    It would be a big help.

    Thanx
     
  2. Joseph_Botwinick

    Joseph_Botwinick
    Expand Collapse
    <img src=/532.jpg>Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2000
    Messages:
    17,527
    Likes Received:
    0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    I'm planning a youth trip next month to Eureka Springs, AR to see the Great Passion Play.

    Can someone help me with finding resources on creating behavior guidelines and dress codes that are conservative, yet do not seem too stifling?

    Maybe you could share with me the guidelines you employ when your church goes out with the youth.

    It would be a big help.

    Thanx
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    Aaron,

    I apologize for getting a little off topic here, but I have a question for you. Are you planning on taking the kids shopping in the downtown area? If so, I need to alert you to a possible situation that you will want to watch.

    Joseph
     
  3. Joy

    Joy
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2001
    Messages:
    2,637
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have two words of wisdom for you-Mega chaperones!
     
  4. Aaron

    Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2000
    Messages:
    15,687
    Likes Received:
    242
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBotwinick:

    Aaron,

    I apologize for getting a little off topic here, but I have a question for you. Are you planning on taking the kids shopping in the downtown area? If so, I need to alert you to a possible situation that you will want to watch.

    Joseph
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    You have my curiosity piqued. Yes, I thought that they could spend a couple of hours downtown.

    What's up?
     
  5. Joseph_Botwinick

    Joseph_Botwinick
    Expand Collapse
    <img src=/532.jpg>Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2000
    Messages:
    17,527
    Likes Received:
    0
    Although the Great Passion Play is very inspirational and very Christian, there is a lot of stuff in the downtown area which is new age and pagan. They have many shops that are big time into crystals, reincarnation, and lots of wierd things like that. You will want to be very careful in the downtown area. There are some good places there, but, there are also some very anti Christian shops and people in this part of town. Is this your first time in Eureka Springs?

    Joseph
     
  6. Squire Robertsson

    Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2000
    Messages:
    9,652
    Likes Received:
    312
    For our church's use my pastor wrote a nice little pamphlet "What do your Clothes Say about You?". I won't retype it here. But, his main points a worth considering as you develop your guidelines (personally, I think this is a little late in the game to be developing them but better late than never.)

    He laid out his "Biblical principles" equally mind you for both men and women thusly:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Clothing worn must be modest.<LI>The Clothing worn must be unmstakably masculine\feminine.<LI>The Clothing worn must meet the test of separation from the world.<LI>A man's\woman's clothing and deportment must delight the heart of God.<LI>A man's clothing and deportment must indicate an unmistakable submission to God's authority.<LI>A woman's clothing and deportment should give outward indication of submission to the authority of the man.[/list]Hope this helps,
    Robertsson

    [ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: The Squire ]
     
  7. Joy

    Joy
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2001
    Messages:
    2,637
    Likes Received:
    0
    Keith, could you explain the last point for me?
     
  8. KeeperOfMyHome

    KeeperOfMyHome
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2001
    Messages:
    2,403
    Likes Received:
    0
    This seems oddly familiar to me . . . who is your pastor? I think I've read this somewhere, but can't put my finger on it.

     
  9. Squire Robertsson

    Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2000
    Messages:
    9,652
    Likes Received:
    312
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joy2:
    Keith, could you explain the last point for me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Without the pamphlet in front of me, IIRC it means something along the lines of

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No, Prudence, you cann't wear the Womyn Power Forever sweatshirt Miss Wyvern gave you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
     
  10. Joy

    Joy
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2001
    Messages:
    2,637
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ah, gottya! LOL What a funny way to put it! :D
     
  11. Aaron

    Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2000
    Messages:
    15,687
    Likes Received:
    242
    oops!

    [ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Aaron ]
     
  12. Aaron

    Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2000
    Messages:
    15,687
    Likes Received:
    242
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBotwinick:
    Although the Great Passion Play is very inspirational and very Christian, there is a lot of stuff in the downtown area which is new age and pagan. They have many shops that are big time into crystals, reincarnation, and lots of wierd things like that. You will want to be very careful in the downtown area. There are some good places there, but, there are also some very anti Christian shops and people in this part of town. Is this your first time in Eureka Springs?

    Joseph
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    No, not my first time in Eureka Springs. Thanks for the tip. I was aware of the non-Christian flavors down there. I thought you were referring to some kind of scam going on.
     
  13. Aaron

    Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2000
    Messages:
    15,687
    Likes Received:
    242
    Thanks, Squire. Could you email me the pamphlet? I'm looking for wording and specifics.

    I know it's late, or I wouldn't be asking for a quick fix. I'm a lonely little conservative in a liberal patch, and it's been an uphill climb the whole way.

    I'm thankful for this forum though. The debates in the music forum are helping me to sharpen my wit and anticipate and refute the arguments of the CCM crowd.
     
  14. Joseph_Botwinick

    Joseph_Botwinick
    Expand Collapse
    <img src=/532.jpg>Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2000
    Messages:
    17,527
    Likes Received:
    0
    Aaron,

    Will you be going to the Passion Play? Will you be staying in a hotel or at the Keller Country Dorm? Have you heard of the Thorncrown Chapel?

    Joseph
     
  15. Squire Robertsson

    Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2000
    Messages:
    9,652
    Likes Received:
    312
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joy2:
    Keith, could you explain the last point for me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Here is the exact wording: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The woman's clothing and deportment should give outward indication of submission to the authority of the man.
    The Apostle Paul indicates in 1 Corinthians 11 that long hair on the woman signifieas that she is under authority. It is incumbent on those women who desire to live a godly life that their outward appearence somehow clearly convey this message and testimony to a society that has repudiated Biblical standards and morals.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    So, along with the Womyn Power Forever sweatshirt, young Prudence will not be allowed to get a crew cut. Even if a crew cut is so much cooler in the summer heat and everyone else is getting one, ect.

    [ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: The Squire ]
     
  16. Squire Robertsson

    Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2000
    Messages:
    9,652
    Likes Received:
    312
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    Thanks, Squire. Could you email me the pamphlet? I'm looking for wording and specifics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Regretfully, the pamphlet is not in digital form or if it is its on Pastor Innes' computer. So, I suggest you write:
    Hamilton Square Baptist Church
    1212 Geary Street
    San Francisco, CA 94109
     
  17. Aaron

    Aaron
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2000
    Messages:
    15,687
    Likes Received:
    242
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBotwinick:
    Aaron,

    Will you be going to the Passion Play? Will you be staying in a hotel or at the Keller Country Dorm? Have you heard of the Thorncrown Chapel?

    Joseph
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yes, we're going to the Passion Play and the New Holy Land Tour.

    We're staying at the KOA campground. It's the cheapest.

    Why, will you be there?
     
  18. Joseph_Botwinick

    Joseph_Botwinick
    Expand Collapse
    <img src=/532.jpg>Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2000
    Messages:
    17,527
    Likes Received:
    0
    I wish I had the time and money to go to Eureka Springs...it is one of our favorite places to be. Please forgive me for asking so many questions...We have been there so many times, sometimes I like to play tour guide to my friends and family. Did you check out the Keller Country Dorm...they are ran by Christians and very cheap? See what I mean? :D

    Have you ever been to the Thorncrown Chapel before?

    Joseph
     
  19. SaggyWoman

    SaggyWoman
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2000
    Messages:
    17,933
    Likes Received:
    8
    I have been to Eureka Springs on several occasions. Definitely would take care to prepare the youth for what they will experience there.

    Keller Dorm would be a good place to stay--good price and a few meals, too.
     

Share This Page

Loading...