1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zane C Hodges

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by SAMPLEWOW, Sep 27, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I'm not sure if this is the place but I trying to get some info on this guy . I'd like to know where he stands on once saved always saved. :confused:

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zane Hodges is a former professor at Dallas Theological Seminary. He has written a number of books, and is co-editor with Arthur Farstad of "The Greek New Testament According To the Majority Text."

On the subject of eternal security, he has written in opposition lordship salvation and Calvinism, but don't assume him to be a dyed-in-the-wool Arminian. He does believe "once saved always saved," as he delineates in his book "Absolutely Free" on pp. 55-59.

Hope this helps. God bless.

John of Japan [​IMG]

3. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Thanks, John of Japan.

Some of his teaching just doesn't set well with me.

Gods very greatful servent,

Jeff B Grover

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

That's because some of his teaching is unbiblical. He is an extreme Free-Gracer teaching that someone can say a prayer of salvation one minute and the next minute completely deny the faith and still be saved.

5. JohnB

JohnB New Member

To more accurately re-phrase Andy T's assessment, Hodges believes that you can be truly saved in a moment(it certainly could be by saying the sinner's prayer) and never, ever lose your salvation ( even by denying Christ.)

I seem to recall a fellow name Peter...

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yet, Peter repented. We have no reason to believe that those who completely deny the faith without repentance are saved.

7. ascund

ascund New Member

8. Justified Servant

Justified Servant New Member

There are many free grace people (who believe in eternal security) who do not agree with Hodges' teachings. Hodges teaches eternal security (that you can't lose salvation) but he also has a "cross-less" gospel. He teaches that you can be saved without accepting that Jesus is God or even knowing he died for you. He says you just have to accept that Jesus is the guarantor of eternal life. If you want to know about his strange views, go to these articles:
    http://www.faithalone.org/journal/2000ii/Hodges.htm
    http://www.faithalone.org/journal/2001i/hodges.html

Justified Servant

9. Heavy Metal Calvinist