1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Zealous of good works....the Christian life!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Public

John Public Evangelist, author, muscian. Meek servant.

Peace be with you, Reformed. Brother, it is blessed a multiplicity can remain in unity. However, while these quotes
    are exhorting towards zealousness, but not one time beyond the quoted text alone was a scripture quoted, unless Spurgeon said said it. It is as hypocritical as quoting a Confession while standing on sola scriptura. That is NOT right; such should be like the works of the flesh in Galatians five be put away from we servants of the most high. It appears Iconoclast has forgotten this but will hear correction like the tone deaf hear G3, D2, A4, E5.

I have spoken my peace, been challenged as an author,
    been reviled. Now it is time to mourn in prayer over such a stubborn person like Iconoclast.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am greatly blessed by 'old dead theologians' on a regular basis - not because they replace the word of God, but because they often bring helpful insight to His word that I might not have considered. I am not a big fan of Spurgeon, but am often touched by his writing or sermons.

• Like Like x 3
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I find it tragic that a brother posts a message that challenged him on the importance of being 'zealous of good works' and that he is then attacked, condemned, and falsely accused of being a man-follower instead of obeying the scriptures. Dozens, maybe scores of times God has used the preaching and writing of men, including dead theologians, to teach me His word and then apply His word to my belief. God gave us teachers to edify and equip us to do the work of the ministry. None of them are perfect, but when we are open to the Holy Spirit's teaching God can use even flawed men to teach us His word.

Else, why bother going to church to hear preaching? Why bother reading godly books?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello C4K
    The value of such old dead theologians is that they offer thoughts and provoke the mind to consider other portions of scripture to challenge our understanding.
    Some of these men have been gifted by God in the Scriptures so to despise them is to despise Him who gave the gift.
    Spurgeon loved the Lord.Spurgeon loved the souls of men so much so that at times he took great liberties with the text of scripture.
    There are many who do not agree with his theology but are touched by his passion for the proclamation of the gospel.

Part of what takes place on a message board is the exchange of ideas.
    If not we would all sign up for bible gateway and just post verses one to another.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not in the position to say anything about the subject. Your posts are riddled with chaotic English, leaving you no room to talk.
    What a mixed bag. I hope you regard Riplinger as a heretic too.
    You need an editor.

#25 Rippon, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I
    I am enjoying The Chequebook of the Bank of Faith: Precious Promises Arranged for Daily Use with Brief Comments. I actually bought it when I was in the Metropolitan Tabernacle when I was in London in March. Everyone knows Spurgeon battled depression, and this little guide shows us a very personal look at his struggles. Many of them deal with learning to simply trust God no matter what we see. Last night's reading was a real blessing:

“October 25 “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” Matthew 6:33 SEE how the Bible opens: “In the beginning God.” Let your life open in the same way. Seek with your whole soul, first and foremost, the kingdom of God, as the place of your citizenship, and his righteousness as the character of your life. As for the rest, it will come from the Lord himself without your being anxious concerning it. All that is needful for this life and godliness “shall be added unto you.” What a promise this is! Food, raiment, home, and so forth, God undertakes to add to you while you seek him. You mind his business, and he will mind yours. If you want paper and string, you get them given in when you buy more important goods; and just so all that we need of earthly things we shall have thrown in with the kingdom. He who is an heir of salvation shall not die of starvation; and he who clothes his soul with the righteousness of God cannot be left of the Lord with a naked body. Away with carking care. Set all your mind upon seeking the Lord. Covetousness is poverty, and anxiety is misery: trust in God is an estate, and likeness to God is a heavenly inheritance. Lord, I seek thee; be found of me.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7320976-october-25-but-seek-ye-first-the-kingdom-of-god

• Like Like x 1
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Have you ever heard of/used/read The Valley of Vision ? I think you'd be blessed. It is not Spurgeon, but a whole bunch of dead theologians who bless my heart daily.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such as...? Your accusation is rather bizarre.
    Come again? You claim to be an author?! Whew!

Spurgeon loved the KJV. But he also commended the ERV, noting that it was strong in the Greek, but weak in English. He thought the O.T. section was superior to that of the KJV.
    Is that a sin in the provincial world of JP?
    Huh? You need an editor.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then, you are condemning the KJV. There are hundreds, if not thousands of times in which it starts sentences with the word and.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems, that as a moderator, you have forgotten that this is a "debate" forum, and it is not putting Icon down for his zealous enlightenment, but, challenging his views on a subject. I, myself, have posted numerous views and Icon, rippon and you have vigorously argued your views, views that greatly differed from mine.

Let the debate go forward and stop making this a personal thing! After all, no one who has voiced an opinion, including myself, have a corner on absolute correctness, something you will sad,ly discover in eternity, if in fact you go there holding to your doctrines as being "deal breakers" with the God of this universe.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been biding my time, waiting for someone, other than yourself to bring to this board another view on the proper use of the King's English. How does it feel to have someone critic your sentence structure and spelling? God is the master of "irony!"

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have heard of it, I WILL take your recommendation and hunt it down.Thanks.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice Iconoclast rated this post of RD2's as "Disagree."

Sad, really.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Kjvo only types are extremists. He had no real interest in this thread....only to attack with his proud spirit leading the charge. MEEK SERVANT with a proud spirit:rolleyes:FrownSick:(

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word is critique. He wasn't criticizing my grammar. He was criticizing Icon's.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I find sad is Dude ridicules godly teachers, claims out of body experiences, direct conversations,and such experiences claiming to be "guided" by the Spirit.
    Then in the divorce thread he goes against clear biblical teaching pitting one verse against another as if the Spirit would have him do that.
    Keep in mind as you seem to keep track as BB'S score keeper that Dude did not like or agree with statements from the sermon dealing with the calling and command of Titus.

17. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My husband and I read the Valley Of Visions together while we were engaged. Lots of good stuff in there. I hope you are able to find a copy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody is going to know this stuff from reading this thread.

I'M the scorekeeper? Says the man with 179 post rates given out!

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just like the psalms themselves when a person goes through severe trials they can comfort others by the comfort where with God comforted them. 2. Cor1:3-12

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.