1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Zealous of good works....the Christian life!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You inspired me.....
    Dude and I have some history on this back and forth that we do from time to time.
    Dude believes I quench the Spirit and that too much study has made me mad.
    I believe Dude puts himself at risk. Relying on feelings,emotions, impressions, that he thinks to be the annointing!
    So periodically we remind each other where we stand.
    We speak openly to each other on this. I say nothing about Dude that I have not said directly to him.....he does the same toward me.

By the way itl....care to comment on the quotes offered in the OP?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Getting back to the OP.....Iconoclast quotes his own post and works on it a bit.....lol
    This sermon from the text in 2:14 is simply opening up and giving a summary of the first two chapters.
    In chapter 1:1....according to the faith of God's elect which is after GODLINESS,in hope of eternal life which God promised before the world began....God cannot lie....
    Being zealous of good works in part is what God has called us to.
    Holding fast the faithful word vs7....the eldership
    2:7...in all things showing a pattern of good works
    2:12...denying ungodliness,worldly lust,live soberly righteously and godly in this present world.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I inspire you to rate people's post? Don't think so.

No one else knows about this. I didn't know that. I didn't need to know that. Isn't it better handled via a PM, er, Conversation?

Not really. I will say that the sole purpose for people being "born and brought into the world" (sic) is not to be holy. We were created to bring glory to God.

Isa. 43:7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    InTheLight,

Dude in the words of that great theologian RAMBO.......Dude drew first blood....lol.
    By making the statement about dead theologians.....he is brushing aside massive amounts of teaching that is foundational in church history.We benefit from all of it,but Dude seeks that which is on the fringe....he has heard sermons on.....the dead letter....but the Spirit gives life....
    Ask him....he will tell you.

#44 Iconoclast, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cherish my copy of the Valley of Vision. It is a collection of Puritan prayers on various subjects. It is a wonderful companion for personal devotions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, you are misquoting me, and using your interpretation to discredit me! I did not say that your use of quotes from past theologians was a bad thing, but rather your use of these quotes to support your views of scripture, or scripture itself. I believe that scripture can and should stand on its own merits, not conflated, deflated or inflates by the words of those who lived in their day, and were not cognizant of the way things are in our day and age! Things are a lot different today than a hundred years ago. Only scripture can surpass time, and be applicable to the needs of His people today!

I have read and studied as many of the great theologians as the next person, but find that in some and most cases, their meanings or interpretation of scripture was more for their time and certain situations they faced during that period of time! We are facing an entire set of new trials, temptations and issues today, and we must find truth and guidance from the scripture through the leading of the Holy Spirit, who Christ told us was given to enlighten us! Or, is that not the truth? John 14:25-26, "These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Or, 2 Tim. 3:15-17, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Spurgeon, Wesley, Calvin, and my favorite on prayer adages, EM Bounds! But NOTHING TAKES THE PLACE OF SCRIPTURE! Nor should it! So I stand by my original criticism of your post, if what you say is for our overall edification and good, let the scripture stand alone and on its own merits, and not upon your interpretation or the interpretations of others who have since passed!

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well and fine and good, Icon! But when you want to slant that teaching of scripture towards Calvin or Armenian views, or Catholicism or Wesley, Hagge or Jim Jones, you need to be careful! Why not just share your thoughts without using adages of dead men for a supportive foundation! Your zealous nature and love of God was never in question, like you are trying to make mine out to be, :( but rather the use of some other theologian's words, who may have been was wise beyond his years, but not necessarily as relevant today as let's say a Billy Graham or a Charles Stanley!

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we both agree! No mud slinging, just agreement to disagree! Shalom!

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange. I thought the Bible said that teachers were God's gift to the church. Oh, that's only the ones who are still alive. The great teachers of previous days have nothing to teach us, I guess.

I like to read Spurgeon and John Wesley in tandem. I have long been a fan of C.S. Lewis (an anti-Calvinist whose own testimony gives weight to unconditional election) and have come to appreciate G.K. Chesterton who -- though a Catholic (gasp) and anti-Calvinist -- stands firm on the absolute truth of Christianity and attacks relativism and materialism with a relish we can only hope to emulate.

Forgive me for an overlong quote from Lewis:

Oops, there I am quoting the dead ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I like Chesterton and have read a lot of his work.

BTW, if you enjoy a good mystery check out his 'Father Brown' series :)

Great Lewis quote BTW.

#51 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, please spell it A-r-m-i-n-i-a-n.
    You've already been taken to task for the above attitude.
    !!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good.
    I am not as well-read on Chesterton as with other authors. But I am aware that Chesterton is a valuable resource.
    I appreciated it, and largely agree.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    F.B. could give Sherlock Holmes a run for the money I have heard.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think it is an improvement. His general Christian world view shines through in the stories. Chesterton is a wordsmith where I think Doyle can be clunky.

Sorry, I'm sorry to linger over a dead guy ;-)

#55 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least Chesterton isn't a dead horse!

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Forgive me for my part in dragging this thread off topic. See this thread for a discussion of the value of 'dead theologians.'

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me, but the only person who can 'take me to task' is the Father. While I appreciate others views, who is to say whom is correct on any issue? Surely not you? Granted you are skilled in grammar, you fail to impress anyone with your convoluted views of scripture.

You guys have already been accused of be Pharisee like, and your gloating statement above only sheds light on your real reason for addressing me. None of you will ever get respect from me until respect is given in equal form. It is okay to agree to disagree when it comes to doctrinal theology, but not one of you hold all the answers to the infinite mysteries of Jehovah God.

I say this all the time brother, and will say it again ... ALL of us have tons of spiritual enlightenment to look forward when we get to heaven and all our errors are pointed out.

#58 righteousdude2, Oct 27, 2015
  19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are forgiven my child ... Biggrin

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never read that book but I loved "Destined for the Throne" and Billy Grahams "Angels!" Another great book, on divorce and remarriage is "The Right to Remarry!" Also I love Ladd's book, "The Blessed Hope!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.