1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zip disk problem ...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by PJ, May 18, 2005.

1. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a number of years, as church clerk, I have kept and updated a zip disk including business meeting minutes, church directory updates, prayer chain updates, etc. Low and behold, all of the sudden, the disk won't open! :eek:

It's a Mac zip disk. I ran the zip restore program but the message comes back something about "tree nodes"?

Outside of typical zip disk restoration, anyone know if there's another way to restore the disk?

PJ

2. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

Try to get the "tree node" message back up again and copy it word-for-word. Then place this message in quotes and google it. Add the words '"zip disk"' 'open' and 'Mac' to the search.

It's too late to mention that you should always back up important data in case something like this occurs. We never think to fix a leaky roof until it rains and then when the storm passes, we sit back, relax and think to ourselves "It's not raining...I don't need to fix it right now". [​IMG] GUILTY PARTY...Right here! [​IMG]

A tree on PCs is a hunk of directory...such as J:\images\portraits on my computer is a tree. Everything in the portraits file, including subfolders, is part of that tree. J:\images is also a tree, and all folders in that tree, including the portraits folder is part of that tree. And, of course, the J:\ tree includes everything on the J drive. "Tree node" might be mac's term for the tree branch, or that particular folder and its contents. It sounds like a folder or file might be corrupted. This can happen by simply storing it on a speaker, television set or near a magnet.

I apologige if I sound oversimplified...It's because I'm used to helping people with very little knowledge of the computer. And in this case, I may not be helpful at all. Sorry.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might be sure the door on the disk slides smoothly, and that the disk in the center turns freely.

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    nobodyspecial and exscentric, you have both been great help. I made sure the door on the disk slides smoothly, and that the disk in the center turns freely.

The first response is "Not Mounted" even though it is. However, the disk is not being recognized because it doesn't show up on my desktop.

The exact wording is "Invalid B-tree node size". I ran first aid, verify and repair, but both gave the same message.

I'm off to google "Invalid B-tree node size" adding the words "zip disk," "open," "Mac" and "not mounted" to the search.

Thanks again ... PJ [​IMG]

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One other thing you might try if you don't get it to work is to try it in someone else's unit and see if it might work enough to save your data to their hard drive then transfer it.

I don't know if they write to disk the same as pc zips or not (doubt it) but if you can find out that they do you might try it on someones pc drive.

Also, there are services to regain data from hard drives that have crashed, there might be the same for zip disks??? be worth a look around.

6. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okee dokee, I'll give these suggestions a shot. THANKS!

PJ [​IMG]