1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zola Levitt reneges on presenting a defense of Progressive Dispensationalism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Paul33, May 7, 2005.

1. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

It's not uncommon for a sincere Christian to make a change or adjustment to their eschatological view. Don't rely on the views of one person. Put your faith in what the Bible clearly teaches about the end times.

Article XX of the The Abstract of Principles (1858) says it well:

XX. The Judgment.
    God hath appointed a day, wherein he will judge the world by Jesus Christ, when every one shall receive according to his deeds; the wicked shall go into everlasting punishment; the righteous, into everlasting life.

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Sorry folks for a statement that is apparently misleading.

Levitt believes in classic dispensationalism but refuses to follow through on publishing a defense of progressive dispensationalism. That's why I said he is a disgrace to classic dispensationalism.

GB,

I kind of agree with you. When I left classic dispensationalism, it was because of the Scriptures and realizing that dispensationalism wasn't handling the Word of God in an accurate manner.

So I was surprised to find a term "progressive dispensationalism" that reflected my interpretation of Scripture.

Is it disingenious? I don't know. Why not just call themselves historic premillenialists? Probably because they came out of dispensationalism and want to remain pre-trib.

But post-trib progressive dispensationalsim is very close to post-trib historic premillenialism.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, Can we get one more angel on the head of this pin?

Oops, guess I've done that myself [​IMG]

HankD

4. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Sounds similar to Historic Premillenialism, I guess it makes sense when you understand that a lot of the first PDs got their ideas from Historic Premillennialists like George Ladd.

http://www.ifbreformation.org/Prophecy_Historic_timeline.aspx
    http://www.ifbreformation.org/Prophecy_Israel_Church.aspx

IFBReformer

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I thought Ladd was 'post trib.' Guess I'm mixed up.

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

He is. PD's do not have to be pre-trib.

7. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

UZThD,

From what I know Historic Premillennialists(myself being one) we are all post trib.

One of the things PDs and Historic Premillennialists share in common is a very similar view of the relationship of Israel and the Church - true Israel(believing Jews) was the Church, then believing Gentiles were grafted in.

Paul33,

I am not disagreeing with you about some PD's still being Pre-Trib, but I have not read any that are - could you give me some examples?

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Most PD's are pre-trib! They can't seem to shake their dispensational background (Biola, Talbot, etc.).

A PD would say that Israel is Israel in the OT and not synonymous with the church. However, at Pentecost, God expanded the people of God to include not only the remnant of Israel (true Israel) but also Gentile believers and called this advance in his program the "church."

The promises made to Israel will find fulfillment in "true Israel." Grafted in Gentiles benefit by being associated with "true Israel" in the "church."

So there is a slight but very real difference with historic premillenialists in how PDs see the church and Israel.

Israel = true Israel and unbelieving Israel
    Gentiles = believing and unbelieving
    Church = true Israel and believing Gentiles

Israel and the Church are not synonymous, but true Israel is in the church, the people of God.

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member