1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zondervan King James Study Bible....

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pete, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete New Member

Just debated with myself for half hour or so where to post this [​IMG] Was thinking about posting in Bible Versions, but didn't want it to be seen as a flame. Then thought about posting in Clean Humor, but thought that could be taken as joking about the Bible. Isn't intended to start anything (a change for me I know.. ;) ), just found it "interesting"...so "Friendly discussion about everything else." it is [​IMG]

Surfed across the Zondervan King James Study Bible. The text of course is KJV (not 1611, which-ever 1700s version), however the study notes are today's English.

For example from the PDF excerpt at bottom of the page: Matthew 5:26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

5:26 farthing. The smallest Roman copper coin.

I verily may have to email Zondervan and ask why they putteth the new notes unto the KJ [​IMG]

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I hopeth you get an answer worthy of your quest [​IMG]

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Methinks they shall not take thee seriously.

4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Zondervan KJV Study Bible you are referring to was printed in 2002 or afterwards, it has the text of the 1873 Cambridge edition edited by Scrivener.

Edward Hills noted: "In the 19th century the most important edition of the King James Version was the Cambridge Paragraph Bible (1873), with F. H. A. Scrivener as its editor" (KJV DEFENDED, p. 217). Norton indicated that Scrivener was “more conservative” as an editor than Blayney (TEXTUAL HISTORY OF THE KJB, p. 124). He described this edition by Scrivener as “by far the most substantial and responsible work on the text after the work of the translators themselves” (p. 122). W. F. Moulton maintained that "the Cambridge Paragraph Bible, edited by Dr. Scrivener, is the classic edition of the Authorised Version" (HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE, p. 211). In 1885, P. W. Raidabaugh wrote: “The most accurate edition, in all respects, of the Authorized Version ever published is the one issued from the Cambridge Press in 1873, under the editorship of the Rev. F. H. Scrivener” (HISTORY, p. 62). The introduction of the 2001 Strongest Strong's Concordance identified it as "the best modern edition of KJV" (p. x). This introduction noted that "Scrivener was commissioned by Cambridge University Press to create a standardized edition of the KJV to eliminate all of the errors and inconsistencies that had crept into the text" (p. x). This 1873 KJV edition is used as the basis for the new Strongest Strong's Concordance. The New Testament of this 1873 KJV was reprinted in The New Testament Octapla in the 1960's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.