Zoroastrianism

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by gb93433, Feb 18, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433
    Expand Collapse

Recently talked with a man and he claimed that Christianity is a derivative of Zoroastrianism.

Anyone had any experience or know anything about this religion?

2. Marcia

Marcia
    Expand Collapse

I think it's from Persia. They worshiped fire and did believe in one god, I think. Here's more info for you!

Frequently asked questions on Zoroastrianism and the Avesta

and

http://irr.org/yamauchi.html

3. Link

Link
    Expand Collapse

I read a book that had a section of Zoarastrianism written for the layman. I got interested in it because the magi were supposedly Zoarastrians. I don't know if my source was accurate. Some say the religion has roots in the Vedas. Persia and India have some ancient common roots, from when the 'Aryans' came and took over those lands. Old Persion and Sanskrit have some similarities. But I digress.

Zoaraster supposedly got revelations from various angels. In his religion there are two lords. The good one, if I remember correctly, is The Wise Lord. I forget the name of the bad one, who was created by the good one.

Some people say Zoarastrianism influenced Judaism, and therefore Christianity, in terms of beliefs about the role of Satan and beliefs about angels. There were angels in pre-captivity Judaism. (The Jews in captivity were under Persian rule after Babylon fell.)

There was a Zoarastrian prophecy about the rising of a star and the King of the world being born. I don't know much about it. One source I read said the context was such that it wouldn't be talking about the Bethlehem star. But I am not too sure. It could be that the Magi were coming to worship Christ because of a Zoarastrian prophecy, or because of how they interpreted signs in the heavens, rather than by Zoarastrianism.

Some people-groups have been prepared to recieve the Gospel by shaman or non-Christian prophets, who got revelations about a coming Good News. One tribe believed that a God named Yawa had created a man and a woman in a garden who had sinned. They believed that they were in bondage to the gnats (demons in their view of things I suppose) and that a white man would come share the message of Yawa with them. When missionaries came to the Karen, I think it was, in Southeast Asia, there was a great response to the Gospel. T he missionaries were trying to reach another language group, and reaching the Karen happened almost by accident. If I am not confusing my stories, I think it was Swedish Baptists who reached them in the 1800's. See _Eternity in Their Hearts_ for more accurate details. The book starts out giving the historical background of THE UNKNOWN GOD and a convincing argument that God had interacted with the Athenians long before the Gospel had arrived to prepare them for the Gospel.

I wondered if God might have given some revelation through Zoarastrianism. I wonder if Zoaraster was a true dualist. I don't know enough about the religion to draw a conclusion.

Btw, I would disagree with your friend that Christianity came from Zoarastrianism. I would suspect he doesn't know what he is talking about.

4. robycop3

robycop3
    Expand Collapse

There are legends in almost every ancient pagan religion that are somewhat parallel with the story of Jesus' first coming. I suppose God had somehow spread the coming Good News throughout the world long before the actual event. However, the devil has twisted this Good News to cause some people that Christianity is based upon these pagan religions rather than being a separate religion founded by God Himself.

5. Eric B

Eric B
    Expand Collapse

Judeo-Christianity did not come from Zoroastrianism, but perhaps God did touch Zoroaster and use the religion and contact with the Persians to reveal some things, such as the existence of Satan, that were not clearly revealed in the Torah.

I had read that the fire worship developed later. Fire had represented God (as it did in a way in the OT), but as is common with man; knowledge of God becomes buried over time behind the external visible things.

The Persian kings in Daniel were also Zoroastrian. And they acknowledged God (who they knew as Ahura Mazda, though of course, the Hebrew scriptures don't use the Persian title).

Angra Mainyu, which is also yields the name Ahriman, mentioned in the above quote. (Likewise, "Ahura Mazda" is also expressed as "Oromastes" or something like that).
    However; I don't know of a good created spirit along with the bad. Ahura Mazda is supposed to be the "good spirit" in contrast to Angra Mainyu. (one thing the religion can be faulted for is the dualism of making them almost equal. Though it is believed Ahura will triumph in the end).

To day the remnant of this religion are called Parsees, and live mostly in India; having been driven out of Persia/Iran by the Muslims. So they still bear a resentment toward Islam because of that; just as many Jews and Christians might.