1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Difference between Mennonites and Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pastor Bob, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

Anyone know in a nutshell what Mennonites believe in comparison t to Baptists? We supposedly have one leading a youth group in our area called "Youth Works" or something like that.(and going soulwinning???) Anyone have expertise on this subject?....could sure use some help!
    Thanks,
    Pastor Bob :rolleyes:

[ September 25, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found that Menonites vary even more than Baptists (if that is possible). Know some Menonites that are more 'baptist' than half our BB members.

And Old Order Gospel Menonite are better known as Amish. Vast chasms of difference.

Advise you to "check out" what exactly this group is teaching and doing. Remember, Menno Simons was very "baptistic" and thus are many who bear his name.

3. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

DR Bob,
    Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. What I wanted to do is get my facts on Menonites before I speak to this guy, etc. Who knows? Maybe it's a good deal! When I look up Menonites on the net, all I can get is copious volumes of Menonite doctrine.....just a little overwelming!
    -Pastor Bob

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Bob, one major difference you should note is that some (not all) Mennonites practice "baptism" by pouring rather than immersion.

5. pawn raider

pawn raider Member

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I heard today that the 2 largest Menonite groups will merge.

7. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Mennonites as well as some other Anabaptist groups were the forerunners of the Baptist movement. Mennonites are differant from Baptists in that most baptize by affusion, and are strict pacificts.

8. David W

David W New Member

I live in Mennonite territory. They are as varied as Baptists, ranging from liberal to conservative.

In a nutshell, the conservative Mennonites may shun some modern conveniences, have women wear head coverings. They are strong on inerrancy of scripture and Biblical separation. There are however many conservative Mennonites who have now adapted contemporary dress and culture. While somewhat separatistic culturally, they tend to be evangelistic and outreach oriented, especially to the poor and needy.

Many of the more conservative Mennonites are now avoiding their traditional colleges, especially Goshen College in Goshen, Indiana over theological liberalism.

If I am not mistaken, Theodore Epp of Back to the Bible Broadcast was Mennonite as well.

9. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

Yep! That clears it up pretty good.(he he)
    Some are pacifists huh! That puts those ones waaaaaay over at the other end of the spectrum from the baptist!

Seriously, thanks for the help. Also the urls.
    -Pastor Bob

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Continental cousins the Mennonites and German Baptists were/are pacifists for good and sufficent reason. The doctrine grew out of their experience during the 30 Years War and their persecution in the previous years.

The standing armies and constabularies of the period enforced the religious edicts of their various and sundry lords and masters. So, it is no wonder that our cousins would not want to join in on the festivities. Why should they want to persecute their brethren? Remember the only thing the Church of Rome, the Luthern's, Calvinists, ect. could agree on was that the Anabaptists were trouble making heretics and were worthy of death.

In America, we inherited the English tradition. The Royal Army of England did not have the reputation of repression that tranished the armies of the Continent. So, the carrying of arms in defence of the country is without censure amoungst most Baptists of the Anglo-American tradition.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: The Squire ]

11. ChozGod

ChozGod New Member

What about the Amish, I know they too range in their degree of conservatism but how are they different in doctrine?
    paula

12. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

As a generalization, the Amish teach salvation by works. The more liberal Mennonites teach practically nothing. The theologically conservative Mennonites, I think, are not too far from IFB's except for the pacifism deal.

Conservative Mennonites shun politics while liberal Mennonites (generally) are leftists and Marxists. Of course in between are to be found both varying degrees and exceptions.

PJ