1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nicene Creed & Baptist beliefs

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Aug 6, 2002.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Looking around the web, I see that there are some Baptist churches that hold to the Nicene Creed.

I find this interesting. The Nicene Creed says, "I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins" or "for the forgiveness of sins".

I have yet to meet a single Baptist that thought that Baptism had anything to do with the remission or forgiveness of sins.

Can anyone explain this seeming contradiction for me?

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

think: symbolism ;)

3. trying2understand

Do you seriously think that the words "for the remission of sins" in the Nicene Creed are symbolic?

Teaching the faith was one of the purposes of creeds in the early Church. They were also simple and direct statements of faith to prevent or combat error. Symbolism would not serve either purpose well.

What other parts of the Creed do you take symbolicly?

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

no, no, no. Sorry, I should have written more at the time. I never said that I myself believed that part to be symbolic. You just asked for a possible explaination. And that would be one. Whether or not I believe them to be symbolic is irrelavent so I won't say if I do or not.

Bro. Adam

5. trying2understand

Not understanding you here, Adam.

Does your church hold to the Nicene Creed?

Do you hold to the Nicene Creed?

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Sorry that you still aren't understanding me. You asked for an explaination to why a church could be Baptist and hold to the Nicene creed. My guess (to try to offer an explaination) is that it would be possible if they took parts of it to be symbolic in nature. In other words, baptism is symbolic of dying and rising with Christ or symbolic or our salvation (the remission of sins) through our faith in Him.

In response to your other questions: As far as I know my church does not take a stance either way on the creeds. The church does not use them in teaching, but at the same time there is nothing that condemns them. I asked one born and breed Baptist what he thought of the creeds and he answered that it was a good tool to understand the thought of some of the early church, but as it is not in the Bible it should not be leaned upon as such.

As far as what I personally think...well, I'll reserve commenting on that for now.

Bro. Adam

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Hey, I just saw that you hit a thousand posts. Good job! [​IMG]

8. trying2understand

I really have to get a life! [​IMG]

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"For" means "because of" ex: jump "for" joy

Baptized "because of" the remission of their sins.

10. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Psalms 104_33 stated,

Amen! Very well said Bro. [​IMG]

11. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Excellent example.

12. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Nice try guys, but the Nicene Creed wasn't written in English originally.

13. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

And what language was it originally written in? Latin? The same probably applies in whichever language it was just as the same that applies in English for "for", applies for "eis" in Greek.

14. trying2understand

Again, nice try...

"eis aphesin ton hamartion"

"for the remission of sins"

The preposition "eis" points to a goal that is not yet reached.

Can you point me to a Bible which translates this as “because of the remission of sins”?

"For this is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for [eis] the remission of sins.” Matthew 26:28

So, did Jesus die because of sins that were already forgiven?

[ August 07, 2002, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

ohh goodie. Original languages. I wish I was at home with all my resource material. I actually have a couple of books on the creeds, but I'm at school right now. Look forward to what everyone comes up with.

Bro. Adam

16. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Again, nice try...

"eis aphesin ton hamartion"

"for the remission of sins"

The preposition "eis" points to a goal that is not yet reached.

Can you point me to a Bible which translates this as “because of the remission of sins”?

"For this is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for [eis] the remission of sins.” Matthew 26:28

So, did Jesus die because of sins that were already forgiven?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't think you understand, both "eis" in Greek, and "for" in English have multiple meanings which means that in each language, the meaning of each word is not always the same.

As already stated it is acceptable to say "Jump for joy", the word "for" is used not "because of" even though that is what is meant.

17. trying2understand

Oh, I understand, you are picking and choosing again.

The problem with your system of understanding Scripture is that anyone can make it say whatever they want. And if something can mean anything it doesn't mean anything. Know what I mean?

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

19. trying2understand

Of course it's picking and choosing. "Harmonize with the rest of Scripture" means harmonize with the verses that you choose and what you choose them to mean. [​IMG]

Look at the on perpetual disagreements between just Baptists on this board, like "husband of one wife".

Face it, DHK, anyone can make any verse in Scripture mean multiple things and find multiple verses that they claim support it, while someone else can take the complete opposite position by simply employing the same interpretational methods.

The countless theologies that have sprouted up, and continue to sprout up, give evidence to the weakness of "sola scriptura". Especially since you can't find a verse that proves "sola scriptura".

If you can, now would be a nice to to bring it out. [​IMG]

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>