1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gasoline Prices

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by queenbee, Jul 1, 2008.

1. queenbee

queenbee Member

Well, it's the wee small hours of the morning. I gassed up my car just before midnite (along with every other joe waiting in line at the last moment) for gas at $1.49.5/litre. As of today, July 1, 2008, gas prices in B.C. have hit an all-time high of $1.50+litre. Then kick in our new provincial carbon tax designed to discourage motorists from driving - an additional 2.4c/litre for each and every fillup from here on.

At the stroke of midnite, gas went up to $1.52/litre at my corner station or $5.76/ gallon U.S. Horse and buggy's looking pretty good right about now!

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If libs impose taxes to encourage less use then how is they they can claim raising taxes ever helps the economy since our econiomy is based on movement?

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

You phrased that right: "they can claim".
    If they 'think'...... they are either lying or stupid........but they love to 'claim'.....take our money (tax and more tax) and redistribute it.

QB notes that Canada has a recent 'carbon tax' now taking effect there: How do they justify that a 'tax' will cut back on emissions of travel more effective than the already rising prices of fuel which will hold back the travel of the masses?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Especially in light of the fact that libs insist their economic plans move the economy.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any thinking person should have seen this "crisis" coming for the last 30 years, and i am sure many politicians did know it was coming ... but since they pursue votes and not smart policy nothing was done. We have wasted 30 years of not building public transportation and we are now beginning to pay the price.

#5 Crabtownboy, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have wasted 30 years of no drilling and no refineries and no nuke plants.

7. queenbee

queenbee Member

Yes, we could have been doing something all those years ago when we knew this crisis was going to come about. If we had, we all might not be in this 'mess'. Now, it seems we're being given a hard wake up call. The only good thing I see in all this, is that it may very well encourage people to be far more appreciative and less wasteful of their resources and perhaps encourage entrepreneurs to come up with more affordable, alternate resources for us all to use. It's going to be a while though, before we catch up.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm turning this in my favor. Penny stock oil and gas companies are really fluctuating, so I'm buying and selling stock in many of them -- + $670 the last 29 days-- while I'm paying about $30-$32 per week in gasoline. Currently there are 91 publically traded o&g operations companies going for less than $1/share. I've been doing quite well in the precious metals sector, too.

9. queenbee

queenbee Member

Very good point WC! I sure wish I knew the answer to this one. Funnily enough, most British Columbians were not opposed to the new carbon tax idea when first proposed many moons ago. Of course, that was when gas was at $1.15-1.20 per litre and we had no idea it was going to skyrocket as it has. Now, 6 months later, the price of gas has gone up 30c a litre and counting. With the added carbon tax on each fillup, it's really getting a lot of people riled. And of course, the carbon tax is a phased in project ultimately increasing to 7.3c by 2012. The biggest impact this is having right now is on seniors, those in the rural communities and families who are struggling to afford any family vacation time.

Personally, I see the need to effect change, but a modest increase for middle-incomers and higher rates for industrial polluters would have made more sense to me. Just higher gas rates alone without a carbon tax are changing my driving habits and those of many others!

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=65171e4c-4027-4ffb-ab69-37cbd7efe460

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/....html?id=66c679b0-6c34-47fd-8aed-f696ca523044