1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modest mandolin wins hearts at Camp Bluegrass

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Jul 26, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I thought I was getting a late start at age 52 on guitar. :)

This Camp Bluegrass sounds interesting.

Modest mandolin wins hearts at Camp Bluegrass
    By Marlena Hartz AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

She met her mandolin - a dainty, eight-stringed instrument with a tinny sound - a few months ago. Love at first touch.

"There's just something about holding the mandolin," said Pat Givens, a 69-year-old bass player turned mandolinist from Port Isabel. "There's just something about the way you can cradle (it)."

A friend and fellow mandolinist hand-carved her mahogany-colored instrument, shaping its tear-shaped body from trees on his Tennessee farm. He presented it as a gift and gently suggested she learn to play.

So, she is here, in Levelland, about 30 miles west of Lubbock. Givens is one of about 100 musicians enrolled in the 22nd annual Camp Bluegrass, a six-day residential camp for musicians, and one of 11 beginners under the tutelage of Roland White, a legendary bluegrass mandolinist who earned a Grammy with the Nashville Bluegrass Band in 1996. His strumming can be heard in the hit movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and elsewhere.

- rest of this very interesting story at www.lubbockonline.com/stories/072208/loc_307491324.shtml

#1 KenH, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I play the Mandolin! I belong to a group called "The Possum Holler Pickers". We play at festivals all over the state. Mostly 1800's music. :)

We all play acoustic instruments. I haven't conquered the hammer dulcimer, but I love my lap dulcimer!

We also dress in period dress.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is neat! :thumbs: