1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Bashing Threads/Posts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I think there is a big difference between expressed sentiments like
    1) `Catholic errors are serious enough to send someone to Hell. Here is why they are wrong' versus
    2) `Those dirty, rotten Catholics. They cannot be reviled enough. They will burn in Hell. Hallelujah.'
    The first part I have no major objection to. The second I have major problems with.
    Exactly.

2. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

In some weird way, the Catholic bashing I’ve witnessed over the years on the BB has been instrumental in my spiritual journey.

Following the debates led me anyway, to seek the truth…to seek what the Early Church really believed and not form my opinion on some pastor “historian” wanna be thoughts.

For far too long I was being told what to think, instead of how to think. Like Bound said, we need to read the first sources, see what the Early Church Fathers and Desert Fathers have to say “collectively” and thus come to a reasonable conclusion. Thus we'll get a clear picture what the Early Church believed and taught and how they worshiped.

Putting my faith and trust in certain protestant writers some 1,800 years removed from the truth to try and put into perspective what the early Church really believed and taught will led you down a road of lies, deceit and mis-representation every time.

Christ said the truth shall set you free, seek first Christ and His Church and you’ll find freedom.

ICXC NIKA
    -

3. standingfirminChrist

See what the Apostles had to say... After all, they are the true Church fathers. Their testimony is contrary to those of men of the Ephesus Council.

I choose to believe the Word of God.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

A christian can not just allow false teachings, or accept their exsistance, without voicing the truth of scripture. If you call correcting false teachings bashing then I am sorry. Some bash, like the recently banned person, but they were banned. To stand with Christ is not to stand with false doctrines, standing with false doctrines is not standing with Christ.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

People get banned for breaking the posting rules they agreed to when they joined.

They also get banned for Baptist bashing...turn about is fair play.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholic teachings are so much different from Christian teachings based on the Bible.
    Often they contradict Bible teachings or teach paganism.

Therefore, we must separate Roman Catholics from the True Christianity based on the Bible.

This board and any other reasonable Christian Forums must be able to deal with any matters of Faith, and every true Christian believer must deal with Paganism, Idolatry, and many other heresies.

Roman Catholic is totally different from Bible Teachings.

7. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Let me hypothetically put the shoe on the other foot.

Let us imagine that I actually become a Catholic. Very unlikely, but let us pretend.

After my fictitious conversion, I say that the non-Catholics here
    1) err on the importance of church "Tradition,"
    2) fail to give the pope his "just due reverence and submission," and
    3) do so because they are child haters.

At the very end, everyone would think `WHOA Horsey -- that is wild, fallacious, and nasty.'

If I was to try to downplay Scripture's importance, and advance the Vatican's centuries of speculations, and urge everyone to submit to the pope, most would say I was wrong. If I stuck with the issues, avoided personally-nasty comments, and just stuck with trying to promote my views, I would be seen as just wrong.

If I was to on top of that, throw on personally-nasty comments, and accuse everyone of hating children who does not agree with my fictitious Catholicism, I would be seen as "bashing" people. Imagine I was corrected, but continued to insist that the reason you all are not Catholics is because you like artificial birth control, so you do not want children, and so hate them. If I persisted in this, I would be seen as dishonest, and would be seen as showing personal malice.
    -----------

Now, returning to reality, and taking me out of my fictitious Catholicism, I believe everyone would have been like `The tactic of bogus accusation really was uncalled for.' Exactly. It would have been. It would have been entirely unnecessary if all I really wanted to do was oppose non-Catholic religious views.

However, that sort of thing is routine here.

People seem to believe that as long as they are teaching true religious tenets and opposing false ones, they can mix in personal nastiness and it is okay. That is not in my Bible.

Christ told us how to treat people. The entire New Testament echoes these teachings. It never once gives an exemption to following those teachings `when opposing error.'

The thing is, the people who do so who know better, may think that if they can fool everyone into believing `anything goes as long as you are opposing error,' that makes it okay. In the end, the Judge is going to be Christ Himself, and He will always recognize sin being snuck into otherwise right activities.

That is something to think about.

However, if people really love Christ, why not do the things He told us to do -- THE WAYS HE TOLD US TO DO THEM. I believe the Lord is all-wise, and I think doing things the way He directed is always the best way to go.

If people really love Jesus Christ, why not do what He told us to do, THE WAYS HE TOLD US TO DO THEM. He did say at John 14:15 "If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments" (ASV). Why not do what Christ tells us to do, the ways He told us to do them, out of love for Him?

Either way, Christ will know who loves Him and who does not, and if love is not enough to motivate someone to do right, He will recognize when sin is being snuck into otherwise right activities.

#27 Darron Steele, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am still waiting for this answer

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh well....this aint a Catholic Forum...you are welcome to join them by the way... as a Catholic member of the Baptist Board may I say

Seasons Greetings to all and a Prosperous, Healthy and Happy New Year

my local Baptist congregation has very charitably given to many in the suburb including me a Christmas Cake.....this is amazingly generous I feel

....God Bless Pastor Zimmerman and the Congregation of the Lifegate Church:godisgood:

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The problem with those who "oppose error" from whichever direction, do so from a standard of their opinion of what the Bible says, very seldom what the Bible does say. Add in the bashing on both sides and there is a situation made worse.

Setting aside the mean comments that come from either side, it should be quite obvious that with as much disagreement as exists amongst Baptists themselves, we need to really take a close look at ourselves before we criticize anyone.

If you do not agree with another faith, then state it in a logical, reasoned way. There should never be one word posted that bashes another faith, because your disagreement with that faith does not make it wrong.

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Similar to my own testimony - had it not been for the BB, I'd probably still be Baptist! How's that for irony?

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Could you please explain how bashing another faith ever helped anyone in a spiritual journey, or in the Christian's case, to become more like Jesus?

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From the very beginning you have been more concerned about extra-biblical statements than actually looking at scripture or ever making a single exegetical "sola scriptura" argument.

You have consistently avoided actual Bible exegesis like the plague since your arrival here - and this predilection on your part that appeared to have predated your participation here was clearly evident by way of stark contrast to the "sola scriptura" methods so common on this board.

This should have helped you see clearly that your methods were never in harmony with evangelical "Sola-scriptura" models and were even PRIOR to coming here totally bent valuing "man-made-traditions" arising AFTER the first century far above scripture and sola-scriptura methods of exegesis -- i.e. "paying attention to the inconvenient details IN scripture"!

Given that - it is easy to see how one who had already drifted outside of a Bible based model for doctrine could come here and suddenly see the stark contrast between this group and the position to which you were by then far "adrift".

So I see this board as having been a great benefit to you in getting into a group that clearly valued tradition above scripture - even to the point of being "the interpreter of scripture" as you yourself already did!

The question now is how do you resolve all the conflicts/contradictions/controversies in the tradition-burdened denominations as they differ with EACH OTHER?

in Christ,

Bob

#33 BobRyan, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not think that bashing other denominations helps anyone. Name calling etc does not help -- BUT holding up a clear and accurate statement of doctrine that they may hold - to a close review of scripture helps everyone!

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is more correct to say that ignoring what the early church of the first century taught and believed as recorded in scripture - you decided to look for erroneous positions arrising decades and centuries AFTER the early - first century church fathers wrote in scripture what we are all reading today.

So rejecting the EARLY source you go for LATER sources taking advantage of the "lapse of time" into which many sundry errors could be inserted over time through man-made tradition.

You opened a door to variation/error/and-tradition rather than holding to what the early first century church believed and then "spin that" as if this was "the early church" rather than the POST-NT POST-Bible period chruch.

One has to wonder at the tendancy of "some" to follow after the traditions of man after becoming dissatisfied with the EARLY church of the NT era in the first century. HOW in the world could they see the church drift into its leading role in the dark ages and suppose that DISTANCE from the EARLY church of the first century "WAS BETTER" and a more reliable source of doctrine??

Seems completely counter intuitive.

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is anyone going to step up to the plate on this one and answer the question?

in Christ,

Bob

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Give them enough rope...

18. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I just noticed that a lot of threads where Catholic bashing was predominant are now gone.

A banned poster named "Jillian" created a whole bunch within the last few weeks. I can no longer see them.

Even before she showed up, I stopped posting here for several weeks because this board seemed to be little more than `The Catholic bashing board.' Although I do not agree with Catholicism -- far from it -- the personal venom was an eyesore.

I dealt with a milder thread where this seemed to be a primary purpose here:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=42923
    It was evident that some people involved on that thread did not really care about accurately portraying what Catholics believe. They were bound and determined to make the bogus accusation stick.

We also have a few members who make a slam on Catholicism, or make a nasty statement about Catholics, wherever they can squeeze it in -- even if it is way off-topic for the thread.

However, from the absence of some threads, it looks like this board has been cleaned up. I appreciate the site authorities taking the time to do the right thing on this matter.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From your link - page 1

How interesting that the openness of Vatican II is rejected there.

in Christ,

bob

20. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

How do you know Catholic belief is leading them away from truth? Were you ever Catholic? Probably not.

Perhaps you should attend an RCIA course at a Catholic church. Then when you're done with that, you'll really know if Catholic belief is leading Catholics away from truth. Until then, you have, IMHO, no room to talk and say that about Catholic beliefs.

Would you like me to say that Baptist beliefs lead people away form the truth WITHOUT ever having attended a Baptist church, speaking to some Baptists civily about what they believe, and attending some educational courses/classes at a Baptist church on Baptist belief? Probably not. So why is it okay for you say that about Catholic beliefs WITHOUT having attended a Catholic church, spoken to Catholic about what they believe, and having attended RCIA?

#40 GodlyWoman, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.