1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Hagee Endorses John McCain

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Feb 29, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't heard Mike Malloy's show in several years. Does he still refer to radicals on the right as the Flying Monkey Right?

4. Baptist in Richmond

:laugh:

Yes, he still does! XM167 is AirAmerica most of the time, but they also carry Mike, despite the fact that he is on "Nova-M radio," and Ed Schultz from noon to three. It is a bit aggravating because I am very fond of Thom Hartmann, who is actually on AirAmerica in that same time slot.

Talk to you later - I am tired,
    BiR

#4 Baptist in Richmond, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I noticed this thread didn't get the same attention as the one where Obama was endorced by Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan? In that thread it was called a travesty of high proportions but I am to take the silence here that this is acceptable or at least not worth loosing sleep over.

Do we have a double standard?

By the way, my comment though could be taken as racial was really an observation of party tolerance.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Endorsement

If I were running for office I would not want either man to endorse me.:tonofbricks:

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes, it's sad to see, but there is a double standard even here with the people at the BB. :rolleyes:

It's the old lessor of two evils argument, but that argument has been discounted for what it really is a long time ago...

It just clearly shows they are not truely concerned about a story, but only the spin they can get out of it.

Jamie

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    CNN already has. While I have differences with John Hagee I am glad to see conservatives coming to their senses and gathering around John McCain. :thumbs:

Any attempt to put Hagee and Farrakhan in the same group is questionable. Why is Hagee so bad? Because he supports Israel, dispensational theology, and confronts the false teachings of the Roman Catholic Church? If that is why he is so bad then he is not that bad at all. I differ with Hagee on some issues related to his view of Israel, the gospel of wealth, his somewhat extreme form of dispensationalism, and Calvinism. However I don't see Hagee as being a bad person who should have endorsement of McCain rejected.

#8 Martin, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2008
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you can fairly draw this conclusion...

McCain IS the only viable Republican candidate remaining, so Hagee's undesirable endorsement is mostly irrelevant. Obama and Clinton are locked in a war over the Democratic nomination, so any endorsements, especially from a flaky person like Farrakhan, can be used as political ammunition.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quotes like these:

"“New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that." - John Hagee after Hurricane Katrina hit

“Most readers will be shocked by the clear record of history linking Adolf Hitler and the Roman Catholic Church in a conspiracy to exterminate the Jews.’’ - John Hagee

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Humm? Is this another double standard?

I don't think anyone was putting these two IN the same group as much as we acknowledge them both being OUT of mainstream thinking and neither being one any candidate seriously seeking the White House would want an endorsement from. However, I think they'll both equally accept the votes those endorsements will bring.

When Farrakhan endorses Obama we see pictures of Obama in native dress from a country he visited (which is a normal practice) and comments implying Farrakhan endorsement must imply a personal bond and similarity of views. We don't see this same comedic backlash from the Hagee/McCain endorsement.

I just found that interesting... :thumbs:

Maybe we should see McCain dressed as the devil condemning most of the world to hell?

13. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I would not dogmatically state the above as FACTS, I have a strong tendency to agree with JH on his statements.

I make this claim because I do believe that God is (is going to?) very harshly judge the US of A for its sins, just as He judged Sodom & Gomorrah, and anyone who flatly states that "it ain't so" is either naive, or has their head in the sand.

The first statement I would change as follows "I firmly believe that there is a strong possibility that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that."

As to the Catholic statement, seems I've read somewhere that this is indeed the case, so while it ain't a very (?) PC statement, there just could be an element of truth in it. Considering how the church functioned in the past, I don't find this to be a far-fetched possibility, and if he can show a "clear record of history", then maybe he's correct.

But if you don't think God will judge/punish the US for her many sins, then I can understand your reluctance to consider the statements of JH as valid.

To each his own!

MARANATHA!!!!

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure Pastor Hagee probably said something like...

"I ENDORSE JOHN MCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

15. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Hagee does deny that Jesus was the Messiah when he came the first time. Which is wrong. He needs to change that view and he'd be better.

Hagee youtube

Hagee was right about New Orleans being evil. Did God destroy New Orleans? It's possible.

Port Royal was once know as the wickedest cities on Earth. New Orleans now has that title. Port Royal was detroyed by an earthquake and is now mostly under water.

Wicked City

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since I believe that God is sovereign and is in control of all things I do believe that He either caused or allowed Katrina for some reason. I cannot rule out judgment as the reason. The same with 9/11 and everyother tragedy.

The Word of God states:

"That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no other, The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these" -Is 45:6-7

==There is a thread of holocaust historiography that asserts that there was a close relationship of some sort between Rome and the Nazi government of Germany. I refer you to a controversial work called Hitler's Pope. Then there are those who are responding to Hitler's Pope with books such as The Myth of Hitler's Pope. Personally I believe the issue is more complex than any of those author's allows for. Pope PiusXII had a personal dedication to, what one scholar has called, the "diplomatic church model". As such, the failure of Pius to respond to the events of the Holocaust in a timely and effective manner were the results of this view of how the Roman Catholic Church should engage in such issues. Was there antisemitism in the Roman Church (as well as the Protestant Church)? Certainly. Did that play a role in the decisions of Pius and the Vatican? Probably not. As has been pointed out, "virtually no evidence exists of overt antisemitism at this level". However the antisemitism of some Catholics in places like Germany, Austria, and Poland did have terrible results. So my view on this matter is that both sides make it too black and white. The role of the Vatican, Pius XII, and the larger Catholic Church in the Holocaust is complex and varies from situation to situation.

My point is that Hagee's views are not totally out of the ballpark. His views are represented by a certain school within the Holocaust historiography. Sadly those who fly off the handle and condemn Hagee for his views, and through Hagee's endorsement McCain, often have a very limited understanding of the issues. We must also keep in mind that, long before the Holocaust, the Catholic Church was condemned by protestant evangelicals. Why? Because of the Catholic Church's perverting of the Gospel and persecution of Christians. I am deeply bothered by the habit of so many evangelicals today of buddying up with Rome. We must never forget the warnings of Scripture about those who pervert the Gospel with works (Gal 1:6-9).

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes. I have one standard for Christians and another for promoters of false religions. Call me silly, but I don't give false religions the benefit of the doubt.

==I am not sure there is a "mainstream" in America. One person's mainstream is extreme to another person. So whether or not you believe Hagee is in or out of the mainstream depends upon which "mainstream" you are in. Personally I view Hagee as being slightly eccentric and wrong on certain issues. Do I consider him to be totally out of the ballpark? No.

==I am not sure that Farrakhan's endorsement of Obama had anything to do with the release of the picture (which seems to have come from someone in the Clinton camp).

==Actually it was the LORD Jesus who said that most people will not be saved (Matt. 7:13-14, 21-23, Lk 9:23-26, 13:22-28, etc).

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Ok Silly, didn't you even listen to the link that was posted above? http://youtube.com/watch?v=m8khCJTDD44

False religion, what is your definition of that if Hagee is not included?

But again, the double standard...

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you would take the time to investigate the theology behind Hagee's statement, instead of viewing a video clip that shows a tv commercial, you would find that the issue is how he is defining the term "Messiah" and what Hagee believes that role includes. It has roots in his hyper-dispensational beliefs.

Hagee does not deny the Deity of Christ:

"We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ as the only begotten Son of God. We believe in His substitutionary death for all men, His resurrection, and His eventual return to judge the world." -SOURCE

So while I may disagree with some things Hagee has to say, and while I would not endorse his ministry/teachings, I do not believe he is a false teacher.

Yes, I have a double standard and I have already explained that.

As for the video clip, that is old news. I saw that on Youtube sometime ago. So I have seen the video and I know what Hagee says. I think the problem here is that you have not taken the time to look into the statement to see what Hagee does or does not mean.

20. Baptist in Richmond

Don't be silly LeBuick: of course there is.

Regards,
    BiR