1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Community Shows Racism in Primary

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, May 7, 2008.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blacks continue to demonstrate that they are voting their color when it comes to Obama. When more than 90% of the black vote is going to Obama, that tells me that the black community leans heavily on the side of racism, if voting the color of your skin can be viewed as racist! It is not difficult to see that they are voting for the color of the candidate, not the issues, which to this date, Obama has failed to produce or make known. Not only does the public sector lack full and complete insight into just who Barrack Obama really is, he has yet to tell us HOW he will get America going in a new direction.

Beautiful, eloquent speeches are one thing...substanace is another. This is why I say that Obama's support from the black community is support that leans heavily on the issue of black voting for black.

I say this because almost all of the major news networks say there is a definite racial divide in the primaries. Blacks voting for blacks, whites voting for whites. I can't see that statement as totally true, especially when Obama is also getting 40 to 45%of the white vote. More than 9 out-of 10 blacks vote for Obama, while 4 to 5 out-of 10 whites vote for Obama does not mean that the whites are leaning heavily toward the white candidate.

From where I stand, in looking at the election so far, if there is a racist issue in this primary between Obama and Clinton, it is the black community that is voting the color of their heart, not the white community.

Folks, I don't want to have a bunch of you send me hate mail in response to this point-of-view. This simply my very "Humble Opinion." It is also an opinion coming from a conservative white guy, who believes Obama will be our next president.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Surely you are not suggesting that blacks can be guilty of racism! :tongue3:

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its racist to accuse black of racism. After they cannot be racist. They do not hold enough institutional power.:laugh:

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps if white people had spent hundreds of years as an oppressed minority in the United States then they would vote 90% in favor of a white presidential candidate.

Addressing the broader question, unfortunately, there are more than a small number of folks in this country, of all skin colors, who are racists.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps if even today's black population spent years as oppressed minority you would have a point. They didn't....and you don't.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==People of all races and backgrounds have ancestors that were oppressed and even enslaved. In this respect African Americans are no different than European Americans or Native Americans. All have been enslaved and/or oppressed at some point in history. I am not bothered by the 90% of blacks who the media says voted for Obama. This is a free country and people can vote for who they want to. Are many blacks voting for Obama because he is black? Probably, but I don't know that as a fact. I think many people are voting for Obama because of his hopeful campaign speeches. People, of all races, seem to be caught up in the thrill of elected the first black president. However when I look at Obama all I see is a bad reality movie called "Carter: The Sequal". I guess the advertisement could be something like: "And you thought the gas lines were long the first time...just wait until Carter: The Sequal".

What does bother me, however, is all the talk about what happened 200 years ago. Why don't these same people talk about what is happening today? Did you know that slavery is still alive and well in our world? It is! Yet we don't see many people, of any race, doing anything about it. Be it agricultural slavery, sex slavery, or factory slavery. Men, women, and children, live in the chains of real slavery at this very moment. The number of people enslaved today is more than 20 million. That number means that more people are enslaved today than were enslaved during the Atlantic slave trade. Yet none of these people who speak out against historical slavery say anything about the real slavery of today. Shame on them and shame on us. If we want to complain about slavery then lets do something about slavery and not dwell on what is in the past.

International Justice Mission

Free the Slaves

#6 Martin, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree,,,

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

My ancestors came from Turkey, they were christians, their area, or whatever it would be called, was invaded by muslims. The muslims forced people to convert. My ancestors were killed because they refused to give up Jesus and become muslims. My greatgrand parents eventully had to leave Turkey and come here to escape persecution, they lived under threat of death daily because they were christians.
    Been talking with my grandmother's family historian.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The effects of hundreds of years of oppression are not wiped out in a mere forty years of improvement of the government's stance toward a minority.

There are millions of African-Americans alive today who suffered oppression before things started to improve in the late 1950s through the 1960s and they no longer had to sit at the back of the bus, or use a separate rest room, or drink at a separate water fountain, or attend a separate public school, etc.

#9 KenH, May 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am not a fan of Obama's, and sure hope he doesn't win. However not only can I understand, but I also don't find anything wrong, that many black Americans would vote for him. Why is it so wrong that they would have a strong sense of pride, and enthusiasm for him? I see nothing wrong or racist about they wanting to support him. I find it rather sad that so many here seem to genuinely be bothered by, or maybe even perhaps threatened by it. Something tells me that if the shoe was on the other foot, and this was the first time in our countries history that a white man was this close to ever being elected for president, and that you for the first time in your lives had the chance to cast a vote for him, that most of you would be voting for him. Have a little empathy for others before you are so fast to judge them.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They don't account for the 90%, though. It runs much deeper than ancestors' oppression. It's "reverse segregation" so to speak, what Martin Luther King was fighting against. It's quite sad...

#11 webdog, May 7, 2008
  12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure they do. They have children and grandchildren who have heard the horrible stories about how it was growing up as an African-American in the United States prior to the improvements of the 1960s. Any African-American who is at least 45 years old can recall those days and pass along the history to his/her children and grandchildren.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure the chinese americans hear the horror stories of slavery building our railroads, and we hear the horror stories of christians around the world being martyred and persecuted. Still no excuse for being racist, and to be quite frank, these people who are 'at least 45' should be the ones putting an END to this, not keeping the legacy and hate alive. Hate should not be passed on from generation to generation, but it is quite apparent it is.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians have no business being racists, no excuse at all for such anti-Christian behavior. On this I hope we agree, even though we disagree the other 98% of the time.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So I guess Hillary is guilty of Clasism and Sexism since the demographic voting for her are women, white and middle class.

Maybe McCain will be guilty of ageism since he will relate to a lot of the elderly???

Also, as long as Rev Wright is Black you can't say ALL the black community is behind Obama. He's the kind of ally no one needs or wants.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Point Webdog

Thanks for the great point...it was right on, but, it may draw some "ire" from others.

However, you are right, and it's time to put the slavery thing to bed. My parents, and their parents did not own slaves. I'm sure this is true with your family tree also, Webdog. That is a part of American history that is a learning point, and a changing point. I hope we've moved beyond that day and time...and as another person wrote, there are plenty of folks of other racial backgrounds still be held in bondage and different forms of slavery. Now that the blacks are enjoying a new way of life, they should be angry with all the other forms of slavery going on through out the world.

Now, back to my original point: all I was saying was that the media seems to be saying that those white folks [60%] voting for Clinton are are voting for racist reasons. I don't think the numbers of white folks voting for Clinton equals racism. it's near half-and-half of whites voting for Obama and Clinton, while the black community is voting at a ratio of more than 90% for Obama. That is a form of racism on behalf of the black community.

Furthermore, I am not suggesting that anyone should not be free to vote as they see fit to vote. I was simply questioning the media trying to make this a racist thing, when in fact, there are nearly half of those votes for Obama coming from white folks who are voting their confidence in Obama.

Pastor Paul :type:

#16 righteousdude2, May 7, 2008
  17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The oppression of African-Americans in the United States lasted for 100 years after slavery ended, until just 40 years ago.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

Well, then you must prefer Mrs Clinton because she and "Bama are the only choices.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

A point you brought up in the other thread Ken, there are many who will not vote for Obama, Condi or Powell because they are black. As long as this attitude exist then equality has not been acheived so we have a ways to go as a country. If we find this attitude while voting a president in to office then we know it still exist when hiring an employee, approving a loan, etc...

20. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I could care less who anyone votes for. But it isn't the first time, here in Fl. where a black runs for office, if I recall correctly, the blacks vote for that person at 94%+ rate. For one very near, look at Brown in Jacksonville. If any other race or group voted in such a block, everyone would be up in arms. Look at the Christian right and how they vote and if I recall correctly, their block is only about 70% +, and so many are up in arms over it. I guess it is how one looks at each case.