1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Global Economy?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

Not what he said. He is saying the supply can be manipulated.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yeah I know. I edited my post.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

There's no need for all that. Alan Greenspan already made a great argument for returning to the gold standard. He's one of those "authority" figures so surely you'd take his word over mine on that subject.

From the article. Now remember this is Alan Greenspan saying all this. Make sure to read the whole thing so you don't miss any of his excellent points.​

A fully free banking system and fully consistent gold standard have not as yet been achieved. But prior to World War I, the banking system in the United States (and in most of the world) was based on gold and even though governments intervened occasionally, banking was more free than controlled. Periodically, as a result of overly rapid credit expansion, banks became loaned up to the limit of their gold reserves, interest rates rose sharply, new credit was cut off, and the economy went into a sharp, but short-lived recession. (Compared with the depressions of 1920 and 1932, the pre-World War I business declines were mild indeed.) It was limited gold reserves that stopped the unbalanced expansions of business activity, before they could develop into the post-World War I type of disaster. The readjustment periods were short and the economies quickly reestablished a sound basis to resume expansion.

But the process of cure was misdiagnosed as the disease: if shortage of bank reserves was causing a business decline — argued economic interventionists — why not find a way of supplying increased reserves to the banks so they never need be short! If banks can continue to loan money indefinitely — it was claimed — there need never be any slumps in business. And so the Federal Reserve System was organized in 1913. It consisted of twelve regional Federal Reserve banks nominally owned by private bankers, but in fact government sponsored, controlled, and supported. Credit extended by these banks is in practice (though not legally) backed by the taxing power of the federal government. Technically, we remained on the gold standard; individuals were still free to own gold, and gold continued to be used as bank reserves. But now, in addition to gold, credit extended by the Federal Reserve banks ("paper reserves") could serve as legal tender to pay depositors.

< snip >

When business in the United States underwent a mild contraction in 1927, the Federal Reserve created more paper reserves in the hope of forestalling any possible bank reserve shortage. More disastrous, however, was the Federal Reserve's attempt to assist Great Britain who had been losing gold to us because the Bank of England refused to allow interest rates to rise when market forces dictated (it was politically unpalatable). The reasoning of the authorities involved was as follows: if the Federal Reserve pumped excessive paper reserves into American banks, interest rates in the United States would fall to a level comparable with those in Great Britain; this would act to stop Britain's gold loss and avoid the political embarrassment of having to raise interest rates. The "Fed" succeeded; it stopped the gold loss, but it nearly destroyed the economies of the world, in the process. The excess credit which the Fed pumped into the economy spilled over into the stock market, triggering a fantastic speculative boom. Belatedly, Federal Reserve officials attempted to sop up the excess reserves and finally succeeded in braking the boom. But it was too late: by 1929 the speculative imbalances had become so overwhelming that the attempt precipitated a sharp retrenching and a consequent demoralizing of business confidence. As a result, the American economy collapsed. Great Britain fared even worse, and rather than absorb the full consequences of her previous folly, she abandoned the gold standard completely in 1931, tearing asunder what remained of the fabric of confidence and inducing a world-wide series of bank failures. The world economies plunged into the Great Depression of the 1930's.

Now you go ahead and argue with the "chairman of the board" all night if you want I gotta take a break. But first. did ya notice the last paragraph Greenspan is saying the very same thing as Greg Canavan in one of my other links. Sounds like both of them are making the same claim that it was the Federal Reserve's intervention that caused the "Great Depression" doesn't it?

Made our lives easier? Yeah right you bettcha.

#43 poncho, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion:

A global economy will enter the door in America when we see either or both of the following:

A US government currency recall-reissue (Dollar to Amero - US euro).
    A US government precious metal confiscation.

OK put on your tin foil hats.

HankD

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be a racket, if it were true. However, any interest the Federal Reserve makes is rebated to the Treasury Department. Well, technically, about 98% of the interest they make is returned to the Treasury.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are talking about increasing the supply of gold by mining more of it. There are many more ways to manipulate the supply of gold. There are ways to reduce the supply of gold. Supposing China decided to corner the gold market. Or, supposing that China demanded redemption of the U.S. government securities it holds in gold payment? Where would that put the U.S. if it were on the gold standard?

Another way is if foreign governments (or investors) were to buy up the gold mining companies and ration the amount of gold that is mined.

The reality is that the supply of gold is finite, whereas the supply of consumers and consumer goods keeps increasing every year. See the problem? The number of people needing money can outstrip the supply of gold. Were that to happen the economy would suffer massive deflation as assets and wages would plummet. Imagine your $250,000 house being worth $25,000...Earning $2.00 an hour. No loans would be made to businesses. No economic growth would take place.

#46 InTheLight, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the whole article and I didn't once read where Greenspan advocated returning to the gold standard. He did a decent job in pointing out the problem with fiat currency and deficit spending, but I didn't read any call to return to the gold standard.

And so the Federal Reserve System was organized in 1913. It consisted of twelve regional Federal Reserve banks nominally owned by private bankers, but in fact government sponsored, controlled, and supported.

Yes, and I'm certain that you agree with this statement of his, right?

8. billwald

billwald New Member

One of you geniuses might think about the differences and similarities of the diamond market and gold market. Is not the price of diamonds quite stable? How about a money system based on diamonds? Just asking.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gold and silver are more in keeping as well as more acceptable with the historical/global idea of precious metal being used as a medium of money.
    They can easily be melted, reimaged and dated by the authority of the backing government. Diamonds are not so flexible.

Diamond value is easier to manipulate on the international market than precious metals.

Diamonds can be manufactured.

True, gold, silver and copper are still being mined.

But, if diamonds were globally accepted according to a standard and connected to paper money, it might work as a stabilizing influence.

One of the roots of the problem concerning our vascilating economy is that our paper (fiberous) money has become unstable (fiat)
    because of the disconnect between it and precious metal required by the Constitution.
    There is no material collateral behind our fiat money.

Legally, we don't need gold and silver as a backup reserve to print it anymore, just sufficient paper and ink.

The worst part of a fiat money system is when it inflates due to over-supply and then suddenly collapses becoming worthless.
    Things of material value (goods and services, guns and bullets) and barter then become "money".

But it is true, you can't live by gold alone.

HankD

#49 HankD, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yes I do agree. Of course it's government sponsored. The Fed gives congress easy access to debt. It's better politically to steal the wealth of citizens through inflation than increased taxes. Government supported? You betcha! When Ben says jump congress says "how high"?

The Fed has congress on a leash so to speak. I don't agree with the idea that government controls the Fed. It's more like the Fed is the government. How many former Fedsters are there in Obama's administration? How many Wallstreeters now hold power in his administration? Think about it.

How was Paulson able to terrorize congress into bailing out all his banker friends with our money so easily? Remember now 80 or 90 percent of the American people said no to those bailouts. And yet.

300 of the 800 billion dollars the banks stole from us (yes I said stole there is no euphemism on this planet that can make what they did sound any less sinister) went to foreign banks.

How is it our responsibility to bail out foreign banks? Hey, That's what happens in a global economy. Look what happened after the Fed's intervention into the Bank of England's folly.

The Great Depression.

Greenspan didn't call for a return to gold the standard? Then what is this?

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard."

Say that to yourself a few times and let it sink in.

Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights.

Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights.

What this all boils down to my very good friend is this, you are defending an "insidious process". One that steals our wealth through stealth. Now I realize it's not all your fault. It's not your fault all those welfare statists lied to you and it's not all your fault you believed them because you probably never had access to opposing views thanks to the corporate controlled media that echoed all their lies for all those years. They kept you uninformed as to what an "insidious process" that is the fiat system of debt slavery.

But now you have access to the truth about the whole thing. So now what are you going to do? Continue to defend a pack of fraudsters that steal from you and your family or are you going to defend economic freedom?

This just in . . . Utah Considers Return to Gold, Silver Coins

#50 poncho, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  11. billwald

billwald New Member

I still say that when the world was on a gold standard the working class people never had and gold. Only our owners and a small middle class had any gold. Why do anyone of you think they you, personally, would do better if we were on a gold standard? Or are you all just being patriotic?

Anyone of you see Gary North's essay in Lew Rockwell's blog?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north952.html

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yes, I just read it. He's right. Things change. A hot item today may be forgotten tomorrow. All this is true.

But this is also true. The author said,

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"This is gold's great benefit: its continuity of value over time. People will still impute value to gold in a century. There are very few investment assets that will surely maintain a comparable value over the same time period.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Every line of mass production gets better over time except gold. Yet gold, by not changing at all, maintains value through time." [/FONT]

Gold holds it's value over time. The price of gold may rise and fall but it will always have value. The same cannot be said be said for fiat currency.

We've already gone over this. Repeat this a few more times.

Maybe Greenspan's chioce of these words (insidious and confiscation) has caused some confusion. What do these words mean?

Insidious

1 a : awaiting a chance to entrap : b : harmful but enticing

2 a : having a gradual and cumulative effect b : developing so gradually as to be well established before becoming apparent

Confiscate

1: to seize as forfeited to the public treasury

2: to seize by or as if by authority

Why do you suppose Alan Greenspan used the above words to describe deficit spending?

#52 poncho, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of my family members have already greatly benefitted from gold which they purchased at $300/ounce less than 10 years ago.

However, you are correct Bill, some affluence and a good deal of discipline is necessary for an individual to make any kind of on-going, long-term investments.
    Most of the working class lacks the discipline.

Precious metals is one of the most stable but perhaps not the best vehicle for the greatest return. The old confict of stabilty vs. speculation and diversity enters into the formula.

I disagree on another level Bill. Until 1965, although gold bullion ownership was illegal, the working class did have silver coins in their pockets.

I remember on my 7th or 8th birthday receiving a silver dollar from an uncle. It filled the whole palm of my hand. Funny how much smaller it is today.

HankD

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This idea that the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression is a very minority view in the world of economics.

I am not defending deficit spending. Deficit spending is what Greenspan identified as a scheme for the confiscation of wealth--the "insidious process". Deficit spending is the process that leads to more and more money creation. If we were on the gold standard the government would merely set the price of gold to some artificial level that would sustain deficit spending. The gold standard wouldn't stop deficit spending. Congress would find a way.

Deficit spending is the result of Congressional action when forming the budget. The Federal Reserve is not in charge of determining the budget of the United States.

Sure, because Utah has large deposits of these minerals.

#54 InTheLight, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Don’t Worry, Be Happy: Unemployment Is Down, The Stock Market Is Up And The Economy I

Well of course it is. You don't think all those high fallutin economists whose well paying jobs depend on putting out Wallstreet propaganda are going to tell you the truth do ya? (I'm giving some examples of their lies contrasted against the truth at the end of this post)

Greenspan never said gold would stop it. He said "it stands in the way". Evidently you feel nothing should stand in the way of the "insidious process". Sounds as if you are defending it (poorly) to me. :smilewinkgrin:

BTW, Greenspan got a special gift from the Queen of England for his role in the "insidious process". He was knighted. Now why do you suppose the Queen of England would give a guy like Alan Greenspan a knighthood? Couldn't be because of the age old ties between the private global bankers that rule over our economy and the City of London could it?

We waged a bloody and costly war against these very ties awhile back. It was called the American Revolution. <-- Click on this!

No the Fed just gives congress easy access to more debt. Politicians would rather steal our wealth on the sly (inflation) than smack us with higher taxes. No one wants to have higher taxes. Politicians know this. Think they don't? Where else can congress go when it needs more money (and it always needs more money) than those few private global bankers who congress gave a monopoly on the creation of money out of nothing? Not to long ago we gave those same private global bankers 800 billion dollars in "bailout money" at next to zero interest so they could turn around and "loan" our money back to us at 3 - 4% interest. Nice! Money for nothing? Only for the private global bankers.

Utah ain't the only state considering this move.

Don't worry, be happy . . .

Haven't you heard? The coming economic collapse has officially been canceled. The U.S. economy is in full recovery mode. It has just been announced that the U.S. unemployment rate fell to 8.9% in February. That was the third monthly decline in a row. 192,000 new jobs were created in the U.S. during February. That was the fifth month in a row in which the U.S. economy has gained jobs. Corporate profits are way up. For the most recent month that numbers are available, sales of GM vehicles were up 49%, sales of Chrysler vehicles were up 13%, and sales of Ford vehicles were up 10%. Can't you see? The great American economic machine has roared back to life. The stock market is way up this year. The recession is over. Our financial system is more stable than ever. Pretty soon all Americans that want jobs are going to be able to get jobs and all of our government debts are going to be paid off. The greatest days for the U.S. economy are just around the corner. So don't worry, be happy.

Don't worry, be happy - the U.S. unemployment rate is falling and it will continue to fall. Don't be concerned that according to Gallup, the U.S. unemployment rate actually rose to 10.3% at the end of February. Everyone knows that U.S. government numbers are far more accurate than the numbers that Gallup puts out. Just don't pay any attention to the "doom and gloomers" and just keep on watching American Idol. Very soon there will be plenty of jobs for everyone.

Don't worry, be happy - globalism is doing wonderful things for the U.S. economy. Just look at all the incredibly cheap products from foreign nations such as China that are available in our stores. Do you think that all of this stuff would be so cheap if we didn't have free trade? We may have a massive "trade imbalance" right now, but this is just temporary as we transition over to a one world economy. The job losses may look bad right now, but once our wage levels go down low enough we will be able to export more stuff to the rest of the world. So don't be alarmed when the "protectionists" tell you that between December 2000 and December 2010, 38 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Ohio were lost, 42 percent of the manufacturing jobs in North Carolina were lost and 48 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Michigan were lost. Those workers just need to get more "education" so that they can be competitive in today's global economy. And please don't listen to people like Alan Blinder, an economist at Princeton, who is projecting that offshoring will ulti&shy;mately affect up to 40 million American jobs. The truth is that there are many jobs that simply cannot be outsourced. For example, workers over in China and India will never be able to flip the burgers that need flipping here in the United States and they will never be able to welcome people to your local Wal-Marts.

Don't worry, be happy - the fact that the number of Americans on food stamps has set another new all-time high (44 million) is just an indication that more Americans are learning how to use government services. At some point this number will start to go down as the U.S. economy roars back to life.

Don't worry, be happy - the fact that new home sales in the United States have been setting record lows just means that the only direction they have to go is up. As the employment situation continues to brighten, it is inevitable that the housing industry in the U.S. will surge to greater heights than ever before.

Don't worry, be happy - the fact that so many Americans are going back to work means that lots of additional tax money will soon be pouring into the coffers of state and local governments. In Idaho, Boise County has just declared bankruptcy, but that is just an isolated incident. We shouldn't be seeing too many more local governments default on their debts.

Don't worry, be happy - the economic improvement that we are seeing right now will soon mean that the austerity measures being implemented across the United States will soon come to an end. Yes, times have been tough in many communities lately. The following is an excerpt from a recent New York Times article that describes the brutal austerity that has been implemented in Vallejo, California....

For more of these shining examples of economic recovery brought to us by the same majority of well paid economists that our good friend InTheLight evidently holds in such high esteem . . .CLICK HERE

That's all I got time for today folks. This global economy keeps me very busy installing Chinese made parts on my old American vehicles. I'd sure like to have a new one but alas the almost total debasement of our dollar has driven the cost of them upwards and above of 20,000 devalued dollars. Back in 1973 a man could be the proud owner of a spanking new Chevy Nova for around 2,500 dollars. And don't tell me the unions are at fault. Imports cost just as much. What about cars made here you ask? One car manufacturer here in Middle Tennessee pays it's temp force 8 - 10 dollars an hour w/ no benefits and still charges upward and over 20,000 bucks for their cars.

Yes, globalism and the private banking cartel known as "The Fed" with it's insidious process of covert thievery has done us all wonders.

#55 poncho, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

A note issued by a central bank, such as the Federal Reserve Note, is bank currency. These notes are given to the government in exchange for an interest-bearing government bond. The primary means to pay for the interest on these bonds is to borrow more bank notes, thus beginning a vicious cycle that ultimately ends with the complete destruction of the currency and bankruptcy of the nation. History is replete with such occurrences. (For a list of countries that have experienced hyperinflation click here ).

This begs the question as to why such a doomed system would exist? The reason is that during the course of the arrangement, which can last for centuries, the central bankers who issue the money amass great fortunes from the large sums of interest collected. In essence it is a transfer of wealth from the many to the elite few. Government leaders prefer such a system because it does not require budgets to be balanced. It is far more politically expedient to borrow, then to directly tax the citizens.

(this is why congress is under the control of "The Fed" and not the other way around as you tried to claim earlier on InTheLight)

The effects of currency debasement and debt accumulation are not obvious and in the words attributed to Vladimir Lenin by John Maynard Keynes,

"By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens...There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose." (John Maynard Keynes)

Throughout the history of the United States there has been a struggle between central bankers and their interest-bearing money and those who oppose them. In fact, the United States was created as a direct result of that struggle. SOURCE

#56 poncho, Mar 6, 2011
  17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Federal Reserve rebates almost all of the interest it collects back to the Treasury Department.

Facts: The Federal Reserve rebates its net earnings to the Treasury every year. Consequently, the interest the Treasury pays to the Fed is returned, so the money borrowed from the Fed has no net interest obligation for the Treasury.

Source: http://www.dailypaul.com/40797/federal-reserve-important-information

Congress controls the Fed. The President appoints Federal Reserve governors and they are approved by Congress. The President may fire any Federal Reserve governor at any time.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it is historians that agree that the Federal Reserve did not cause the Great Depression. Stop devolving into conspiracy theories.

I never said I supported deficit spending. This is the second time I've had to correct you.

Spoken like a true conspiracy theorist. Never say anything concrete just raise provocative questions and smear with innuendo.

< snip diatribe >

Yes, more innuendo. Never did I allude to any type of esteem for any economist.

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the one the only Edward Flaherty. Full time liberal welfare statist and part time "conspiracy theory debunker". You picked a real winner with this one InTheLight. :smilewinkgrin:

My reply: Here is another half-truth that is a whopper deception. It is true that most of the money paid by the government for interest on the national debt is returned to the government. That is because the Fed’s charter requires any interest payments in excess of the Fed’s actual operating expenses to be refunded. However, before we jump to the conclusion that this is a wonderful benefit, we must remember that the banking cartel is able to use tax dollars to pay 100% of its operating expenses with few questions asked about the nature of those expenses. After all of those expenses are paid, what is left over is rebated to the Treasury, as Flaherty says. There is no secret about this, and you will find an explanation of it in my book. Technically, there is no “profit” on this money. However, remember that creating money for the government is only one of the functions of the Fed. The real bonanza comes, not from money created out of nothing for the government, but from money created out of nothing by the commercial banks for loans to the private sector. That’s where the real action is. This is the famous slight-of-hand trick. Distract attention with one hand while the coin is retrieved by the other. By focusing on the supposed generosity of the Fed by returning unused interest to the Treasury, we are supposed to overlook the much larger river of gold flowing into the member banks in the form of interest on nothing as a result of consumer and commercial loans. G. Edward Griifin

My reply: Basically, Flaherty is correct as far as he goes. But, as we shall see in so many of his statements, he stops short of the entire truth. A half-truth is just as much of a deception as an outright lie. Flaherty says that the Board of Governors is politically appointed. This is true and it is supposed to make us feel safe in the thought that the President responds to the will of the people and that he selects only those who have the public interest at heart. The part of the story omitted by Flaherty is that the President does not select these people from his own personal address book, nor does he ask the public to submit nominations. With few exceptions, he makes appointments from lists given to him by the staffs of banking committees of Congress and from private sources that have been influential in his election campaign. The most powerful of all these groups are the financial institutions (including prominent members of the Fed itself) and the media corporations over which they have effective control. One does not have to be a so-called conspiracy theorist to recognize the tremendous influence that these institutions have over the outcome of presidential campaigns, and anyone with knowledge of how our current political system works will understand why the President makes exactly the appointments that the banks want him to make. All one has to do to see the accuracy of this appraisal is to examine the backgrounds and attitudes of the men who receive the appointments. While there is an occasional token individual who appears to come from the consumer sector of society, the majority are bankers deeply committed to the perpetuation of the system that sustains them. Anyone who would seriously challenge the power of the banking cartel would never be appointed. So, while Flaherty is correct in what he says, the implication of what he says (that the Fed is subject to control of the people through the political process) is entirely false. G. Edward Griifin

The real FACT: Is the Federal Reserve controls who the president "picks" and practically "owns" congress.

Nice try though partner. :smilewinkgrin:

Bout this time I imagine you're wondering whether to "tap out" or cry uncle huh? :laugh:

#59 poncho, Mar 6, 2011
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, putting you on my ignore list.