1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Preachers in the news!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by matt wade, May 24, 2011.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a denomination.
    How many is "many?" What percent of IFB churches hide this sin?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speak for yourself. You may be part of a denomination, but I am not.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your local church is not united with any other church in belief or practice?

I saw a very interesting signature line:
    "If a person cannot argue the issue he will usually try to argue the semantics. If he is too ignorant to argue the semantics he will usually try to argue personality."

The current issue is the definition of denomination. The FACT is there are several definitions. We do fall at least into one of them. If need be, we may need to specify which definition. True, as Baptists we do not accept ecclesiastical authority.

I use similar reasoning when I tell people I am pro-choice -
    Before you assume that I want to kill babies - make sure you know what I am talking about.

#44 Salty, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I retract it.

And I say "Well played, Batman. Well played."

:thumbsup:

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct. I don't know what other churches believe, and frankly, don't care.
    The issue is denominationalism. Your own definition uses the word "UNITED." We are not "UNITED" with any other church, therefore the definition does not apply.
    I too am "pro-choice." Ask the baby what his/her choice is!

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you said in your last post says a lot about you.
    There is one more thing I could say that would prove my point - but I am not going to bother since some folks are not concerned about facts.

Besides all this - the OP was about SB preachers in the news - we (including me) have strayed from the purpose of this thread.
    Therefore, this is my last post on this subject, OP or otherwise in this thread.

Salty

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EW, here's another: the sister of Reformed Baptist apologist James White recounts being molested repeatedly by their father, a "Founder's Friendly" SBC pastor:

Abba's Little Girl "Out of Darkness"

Abba's Little Girl "The Cross I Carry"

Sick.

9. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

blah blah blah...

I hope OP was being sarcastic about the assumption about all SBCs..ugh...and i'm not even SBC! lol..

Lets just say they are a group of rotten apples in the apple tree..

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True Baptists are not Denominated Protestants...

...in the sense that they do not come from the Reformation of the Catholic Church commonly ascribed to one Martin of Luther. He was defrocked for his efforts and started his own denomination. Calvin did a similar scenario, however, he had no frock to lose--was he a lay chaplain? What ever the case, Jon Chauvin was no longer under the auspices of the Holy See. Jon's favorite form of church government was a presbytry. He had a lot of Romish baggage: infant baptism and a church/state arrangement of govt., not unlike the Holy Roman Empire.

Denomination is a word coined in the 16th century. There is a close connection between the Holy See, Protestants and secular history regarding what constitutes a denomination. One of the basic attributes is: several congregations under the control of an outside entity. Words such as diocese, archdiocese, synod, board, etal would apply.

True Baptists faith and practice preceed the Protestant Reformation--some say by 15 centuries.. They are fiercely sovereign and congregational, giving an account to no outside entity, including a government. True Baptists, by definition cannot be called a denomination.

In the case of the present day word: convention, there is a lot of disagreement as to how much sovereignty is relinquished by participating in a convention. Some say none; others a little. Others say any sovereignty lost is a loss of all.

Then there is the situation where an apparently sovereign church which is supposedly governed by the congregation which bows to the recommendations of a board of deacons, the majority of which are long time F&AM. We got trouble--right here in River City. This last observation probably should go to a different thread.

What do we mean when we become an LLC? Has the Bride of Christ become a business?

We need to repent and do the first works.

Peace,

Bro. James

#50 Bro. James, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  11. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Our church constitution lists the current SBC Faith and Message as our statement of belief. Yet, organizationally, we are completely independent. Would you consider our church as a part of a denomination?

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EW, here's yet another:

Mark Dever's mentor while studying at Cambridge University, Roy Clements.

November 1999 Roy Clements Walks Out

Links to monergism.com's listings of Clements sermons

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not be the one to judge such things.

In as much as there are dozens of groups called Baptist, each tooting a different horn, the term denomination does not fit well. The concept of denomination comes through the Vatican and the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century. True Baptists have never been a part of that which is commonly considered Christendom. Untruths repeated in high places for many centuries do not become true regardless of one's sincerity.

Regarding the SBC having an influence over the sovereignty of participating churches: The Mission Board seems a bit autonomous in deciding who, where, how long and how much is expended in the mission field.

Boards are really not necessary--The Holy Spirit sends and keeps all the God-called missionaries.

Church seems to be a business of sorts--LLCs with lots of paid positions. How many of the Apostles were on salary?

Peace,

Bro. James