1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hearers/doers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is EXTREMELY insulting.

I resent it.

And I do not think you know what you are talking about.

You have no idea where all I have been and how I have been used of God.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, and the reason they have such a poor hermeneutic which led to their misinterpretations is because in their beginnings they lacked the humility to submit themselves to the teaching of God-gifted teachers who span Christian history.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And neither do you know where any of us on the BB have been or how we have been used of God and yet you have judged us all by proclaiming to have the authority to say what we can and cannot say about God's word based on how much "education" we may or may not have.

In your own words:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No Amy. I never said you should not speak out. I never used your name like you used mine.

IN FACT I said that you could if you met the qualifications which I SAID I do not question.

I am talking about what ALL PEOPLE should do.

You are assaulting my character and intelligence and you owe me an apology.

Yes and I meant that.

I did not say AMY is one of those people. I do not know if you are or not just like you don't know whether or not I am.

The only name I brought into this was Winman because he himself admitted that he believes that one who has the Holy Spirit does not need to be taught by ANYONE.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke is correct, I believe the scriptures teach God has equipped every believer with what he needs to know and understand the word of God, that is the Holy Spirit, the scriptures, and prayer.

1 Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same annointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Does this verse say we need any man to teach us? Does it say the Spirit will teach us some things, or all things? Do you believe this verse?

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Do we need men to teach us doctrine, or are the scriptures sufficient? If the scriptures can make the man of God perfect (mature), can that be improved upon? Do you believe this verse?

Jam 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7 For let not that man think he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

I am not saying teachers are not useful or helpful, otherwise God would not have provided teachers to the church, but God has provided every believer what is necessary to know and understand the scriptures. We do need to study, but we also need to depend on the Spirit and ask God's help, but most of all we must believe.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke is correct, I believe the scriptures teach God has equipped every believer with what he needs to know and understand the word of God, that is the Holy Spirit, the scriptures, and prayer.

1 Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same annointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Does this verse say we need any man to teach us? Does it say the Spirit will teach us some things, or all things? Do you believe this verse?

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Do we need men to teach us doctrine, or are the scriptures sufficient? If the scriptures can make the man of God perfect (mature), can that be improved upon? Do you believe this verse?

Jam 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7 For let not that man think he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

I am not saying teachers are not useful or helpful, otherwise God would not have provided teachers to the church, but God has provided every believer what is necessary to know and understand the scriptures. We do need to study, but we also need to depend on the Spirit and ask God's help, but most of all we must believe.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Good Post. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Perhaps I have a bias. I have played guitar for 40 years, and not to brag, but I am a good player who has played for pay in many bands. I am currently in a church band who performs. How many lessons have I had? Zero, although I have played with many good musicians and learned from them.

My 12 year old daughter is a very accomplished pianst who plays shows and at churches several times per month. She has taken one lesson per week for about five years now.

What I am trying to say is that if you depend on that one lesson per week, you will never learn your instrument. You must practice MANY MANY thousands of hours on your own. It is the only way.

How often can you sit under a teacher? One hour for Sunday School, maybe an hour and a half the regular Sunday service, one hour Sunday night, and one hour Wednesday night. That is maybe five hours total a week you can spend under a teacher or tutor. So, if you are going to really learn the scriptures, you are going to have to go it alone with God's help.

Most of us have families and jobs, we cannot go to a seminary. The vast majority of Christians must read and study on their own and ask God's help.

Over the years I have had many people ask me how to learn guitar. It is simple I tell them, just pick one up and play it a few hours. Now continue to do that the rest of your life and you will get good at it.

#148 Winman, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'm just wondering how many verses should you have memorized for it to be considered "enough?"

How long each day should you study the bible for it to be considered "enough?"

How versed does one need to be on the various theological positions on various topics before it's "enough?"

Does the man who studies just 30 minutes a day need to repent, while the man who studies an hour a day is okay?

I ask these questions to point out the legalistic tendency of this slippery slope. Don't get me wrong. I also value the study of the scripture and growing in our knowledge of God, but I question the condemning tone.

"There therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." -Paul

Study must come from a motivation of love for God, not obligation, fear and condemnation from others. I just don't believe the approach represented here is biblical or effective.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fallacy: How do you know *any* of the people who post here do not meet the qualifications you don't question?

I say this out of love, because I'm trying to explain to you why people keep chafing at your posts: You come across as the self-appointed authority on the things of God, talking about who's qualified and who isn't, with comments like "if you meet the qualifications I do not question."

Just sayin'.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple of thoughts:
    I don't think you can memorize any more than what's in the Bible. Unless you have some additional bible stuff you want to add to it.

Kinda depends on the man/woman, doesn't it? And the gifts/talents/understanding that God gives to them?

I honestly don't believe Luke is trying to condemn, or make biblical study an "obligatory" thing. I think Luke is trying to say the same thing you said: That if we love the Lord, we should make it a priority to learn all we can.

He just has a different way of saying it.

12. Skandelon

He sure does, and to me it sounds condemning and legalistic. I could be wrong, but that is just the way it sounded to me which is why I said what I did.

If that is not what he intends to sound like then I'd recommend he'd learn to rephrase his words because I think its quite clear from the response that many have interpreted him in the same manner.

13. Skandelon

You actually made the same point I was attempting to make when you wrote:

"I say this out of love, because I'm trying to explain to you why people keep chafing at your posts: You come across as the self-appointed authority on the things of God, talking about who's qualified and who isn't, with comments like "if you meet the qualifications I do not question."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.