1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Irrefutable new public day of worship - Psa. 118:20-25

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Aug 7, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Psa. 118:20 This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.
    21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
    22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
    23 This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
    24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
    25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
    26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.

I will provide indisputable evidence that this passage refers to Jesus Christ and his death and resurrection and the appointment of a specific day by God to commemorate his resurrection as the new public day of worship for God’s people. I will provide indisputable evidence under five points.

1. This is a Messianic prophecy and context
    2. Psa. 118:22 refers directly to the crucifixion of Christ by Israel
    3. Psa. 118:23refers directly to God’s response to Israel killing Christ
    4. Psa. 118:24 refers to God's establishment of a new day of public worship for God’s people

1. Indisputable evidence this is a Messianic Prophecy

a. The only gate that the righteous can enter is Jesus Christ -

Jn. 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
    8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
    9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture

b. The “stone” rejected and become the head is Jesus Christ

Psa. 118:22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

Mt 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Mr 12:10 And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:
    11 This was the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Lu 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?

Ac 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

1Pe 2:4 ¶ To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,

1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

c. Verse 26 is directly quoted by Christ in Matthew 23:39 and applied to Himself

Psa. 118:26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.

Mt. 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Therefore, I have provided irrefutable evidence that Psalm 118:19-25 refers to Jesus Christ and is a Messianic Prophecy. So my first point has been established.

#1 The Biblicist, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

2. Psa. 118:22 refers directly to the crucifixion of Christ by Israel

a. All the applications of Psalm 118:22 in the New Testament are directly applied to Israel and their putting to death Jesus Christ:

Mt. 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?....
    45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Ac 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
    11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner

My second point has been established as Jesus and the Apostles directly contribute the rejecting of the stone to Israel crucifying Christ.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

3. Psa. 118:23 refers directly to God’s response to Israel killing Christ

Psa. 118:23 This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.

A. He first described what the builders did - "refused" as a building stone and that refusal came in the form of crucifying him.

Psa. 118:22 The stone which the builders refused

B. He then describes what God did in direct response to their refusal of Christ as a building Stone:

Psa. 118:22 The stone......is become the head stone of the corner.
    23 This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes

God's response to their refusal of Christ as a building stone by putting him to death, was to raise him up to life and make him the corner stone in God's building program. Notice what God did is "marvelous in OUR eyes" or the eyes of believers.

C. This contrast between killing by Israel and raising him by God is set forth in the New Testament in direct connection to Psalm 118:23:

Acts 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
    11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

Thus Peter is explaining that Psalms 118:22-23 is the contrast between what Israel reacted to Christ by refusing and killing him compared to what God did by raising him from the dead.

D. In Christ's use of Psalm 118:22-23 in the gospel accounts it is always predictive of Israel killing him but His victory over what they did or resurrection by God:

Mt. 21:39 And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him......40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh.....
    42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

The resurrection is implied in the fact that the stone rejected by killing becomes the head of the corner by resurrection.

Therefore I have proven my third point.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

4. Psa. 118:24 refers to God's establishment of a new day of public worship for God’s people

Psa. 118:23 This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
    24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

We have proven that "this is the LORD'S doing" refers to the resurrection of Christ from the grave as verse Psalm 118:22 is directly quoted by Peter in regard to his death and resurrection in Acts 4:10-11.

A. God responds to Israel's putting to death of Chrsit in two distinct ways that are inseparably related to each other:

1. "This is the Lord's doing" = resurrection - Acts 4:10
    2. "This is the day the Lord hath made" - day of resurrection

The Lord's doing refers to the ACT of raising him. The "day" the Lord "hath made" refers to the TIME of God's raising him.

B. The Hebrew term translated "made" means "made to be observed or kept in a certain manner.

1. The context demands this "we shall rejoice and be glad IN IT" - thus providing the manner in which it is to be observed.

2. The same Hebrew word (Heb. Asah) is used to describe the Sabbath in Deuteronomy 5:15

Deut. 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep [Heb. Asah] the sabbath day.

Psa. 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; [Heb. Asah] we will rejoice and be glad in it.

3. This cannot refer to the Jewish Sabbath as that had already been commanded by God to be observed. This is predictive and Messianic of the resurrection day still in the future from David. This is ANOTHER DAY that God "hath made" to be observed in a prescribed manner. This is His resurrection day commanded to be observed by believers in Christ.

"WE WILL rejoice and be glad IN IT"

This is the "first Sabbath day of a new series of Sabbaths" for New Covenant believers (Mk. 16:9). This is a BETTER Sabbath day observance due to better finished work of redemption by Christ (Heb. 4:9-10). This is the "first day of the week Sabbath" as "this is the day the Lord hath made" for New Testament Christians or "the Lord's Day" (Rev. 1:10).

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well, I am surprised that neither Bob or GE would take my challenge and show where I misintepreted this passage? If my interpretation is correct then Saturdarianism is a false doctrine. First, you will have to point out where my exposition is wrong before you can assert it is wrong! No empty hot air assertions - proof is required!

6. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It seems you put a lot of time and effort into this, and I don't want to diminish that....

But that being said, I am ignoring any and all threads on Sabbath days. I only wish you had put "Sabbath" in the title so I could have ignored it without clicking on it to see what it was about.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess that the bible trumps whatever false revelations Ellen White was able to get on this, eh?

amazing that the "spirit" forgot to line up with what he already had inspired down regarding this, eh?

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible says -

[FONT=&quot]
    Is 66:23 In the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath" shall "ALL MANKIND come before ME to Worship"
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    Gen 2:1-3 the seventh day Sabbath is made a holy day for mankind.
    Mankind's - SECOND day -- being THE SEVENTH day of creation week

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Gen 2:1-3[/FONT]
    1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts.
    2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
    3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    Ex 20:11 the Gen 2:3 facts "alone" establish the Sabbath.

[/FONT]
    Ex 20

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
    10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.
    11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was MADE for MANKIND"

[/FONT]
    Heb 4 "there REMAINS a Sabbath rest for the people of God" - remains from the Ps 96 statement quoted earlier. Remains from the days of King David to this very day. The same Sabbath valid in David's day - valid today.

Rev 14 the SABBATH commandment text is quoted in vs 7.

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Is 56 - the gentiles of Isaiah's day are commended for Keeping the Sabbath.

[/FONT]Is 56
    [FONT=&quot]“Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
    To minister to Him, and to love the name of the Lord,
    To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning the Sabbath
    And holds fast My covenant;
    7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountain
    And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
    Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
    For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.

[/FONT]

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The Bible says -

James 2 "he who is guilty of breaking one - is guilty of breaking all"

Mark 7:6-13 God says it is wrong to replace one of the commandments of God with the tradition of man.

1Cor 7:19 "what MATTERS is KEEPING the Commandments of God"

Rev 14:12 the saints "KEEP the Commandments of God"

1John 5:2-3 the saints KEEP the Commandments of God and do not call it a "burden".
    [/FONT][/FONT]

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And if we leave the actual Commandments of God - for a moment we will find a list of texts that say nothing at all about any weekly cycle, about any day of the week, at all...

===============================

Jn. 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
    8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
    9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture

Psa. 118:22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

Mt 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Mr 12:10 And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:

Lu 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?

Ac 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

1Pe 2:4 ¶ To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Thank you Bob! If the very best you can do is simply PIT scripture against scripture, which is a flag of surrender, then my exposition stands.

BTW that all that false teacherss can do to support their false doctrine is to PIT scriptues against scripture.

Now, are there any serious Bible students out there who care to tackle this expositon on Psalm 118:20-26?

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is not pitting "scripture against scripture" to simply "notice the detail" that the texts I just quoted speak nothing at all about a weekly cycle for anything, a weekly day of worship, a first day of the Sabbath, or any such thing.

It is not pitting scripture against scripture - to note that NOT every text in the Bible is talking about the 4th commandment or the 7th day of the week. And that NO text in Psalms 118 does.

As all serious Bible students know.

in Christ,

Bob

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

All serious Bible students can easily see you could not deal with my exposition but had to fight it from WITHOUT by pitting OUTSIDE scriptures against it which is always an admission of defeat.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My quote above is not "from outside scriptures" as all readers can see.

I simply quoted you - quoting your own chosen set of scriptures.

And then I pointed to the obvious - about your own selection of scriptures.

Just noting that you gave us a great example of scriptures that "say nothing at all about any weekly cycle, about any day of the week, " no not at all..

You can search that list I provided from your own post - until the cows come home - not a single reference to a weekly day of worship, or a weekly cycle for rest, convocation, worship... nothing at all in that list talks about it.

As any serious reader will notice.

Now you can certainly eisegete the idea of "weekly day of worship" when you read - -

in Christ,

Bob

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again, nothing but diversion! You select scriptures that I used to confirm one aspect of the exposition and try to divert from the exposition itself. Any reader can easily tell that my use of scriptures confirm the particular point I used them for. However, that is not your design is it. Your design is to separate certain texts AWAY FROM my specific application in Psalm 118:20-24 and cause a diversion. Bob, you are simply using dishonest tactics and must because you cannot overturn the use of any particular scripture that I cite for THE REASON I CITE IT.

All can see that you cannot go point for point in Psalm 118:20-24 and show that the selected texts do not confirm the purpose I cited them. Again, a flag of surrender

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Readers look at the texts cited by Bob above in response to my exposition. Try to find any of them in my exposition! Yet he denies he was forced to go OUTSIDE my exposition and PIT scriptures against my exposition. Anyone can see he is simply being dishonest in his claim that he did not go outside my exposition and the scriptues I cited.

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I challenge him to take my exposition point for point and show that the scripture I cited to confirm each point do not do so!

Any response that must EXPLAIN AWAY what a text seems to clearly say and mean is a weaker exposition.

The PIT and DIVERSION tactic is the common cultic tactic.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And your first point failed - because in that string of texts - you gave - I show that there is not one reference to a weekly day of worship or a weekly cycle of any kind.

Here it is "again".

=====================

====================

You could certainly try to "eisegete" - something like "weekly day of worship" or "weekly cycle" or "each week day 1" into the texts above - but that is not going to mislead very many readers into following you down that path.

in Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This "Friday focus" that you have above is interesting.

1Cor 11 -
    23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
    24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
    26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

A Thursday event pointing to a Friday event in reminder.

Interesting that you would select week day 6.

in Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok so I am quoting your post and you want us to find any of the quote - of your own post -- in your own post??

Really?

Hint -- go the OP - read what you posted.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2018609&postcount=1

Notice that this is what I copied from and pasted in as the list of texts that do not make the case for week day 1.

In post 10 and from then on.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2019083&postcount=10

It does not get any easier than this.

#20 BobRyan, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013