1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I was born this way...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, a homosexual could have done otherwise? How does that fit your compatibilism? Aren't homosexuals choosing according to their nature? Isn't that nature determined to be what it is by their creator?

Explain yourself.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?

Who gave the Ethiopian his dark skin, and the leopard his spots?

3. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs:

Having actually read as much by Pelagius (himself) as I can possibly find, and not having relyed on Augustine's mud-slinging....

I would openly say that I would take Pelagius over Augustine any day. He was known to live impeccably and humbly. He was a reformer battling what he perceived to be people using the idea of a "sin-nature" as liscence to .."continue in sin, that grace may abound". This infuriated Augustine whose life and history was anything but a good witness. On a gazillion occasions he pursued his demise never having found success as long as Pelagius was allowed to answer for himself, until he finally was able to bribe some officials to condemn him (in abstentia). I have as much respect for the findings of Augustine's and Jerome's little Kangaroo-Court as I do that of any Banana Republic.

I am forever amazed how quickly our "Reformed" brethren appeal to Papist decrees when it suits their fancy.

I think some of our Reformed brethren will be quite (happily) shocked to find Pelagius in glory with them!

#23 Inspector Javert, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Whew!!! For a minute, I thought someone was coming out of the closet, admitting they were a Lady Gaga fan......:D :) :wavey: :tongue3:

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

We're born in Adam, and have Adam's righteousness upon ourselves, which is none. We come from Adam's loins, not God's. Seth was made in the image and likeness of Adam, and not God. Adam is the marred image of God(post fall, that is), because sin marred him. We come in the likeness of Adam, the marred image of God.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am not sure what Peligius taught, because, according to history, most, if not all of his works, were burned by Augustus of Hippo.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you saying...perdestined to be a homosexxual?

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Where do the scriptures say we are born in Adam? Where do the scriptures say we have Adam's lack of righteousness upon us?

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I see you picked up on my "teacher tactic" of questioning precisely. :)

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . all have sinned . . . "

Just pointing out here that even noncalvinists will concede that all doesn't mean all. To them, it excludes the persons of newborns.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't disagree with them at all. I disagree with your fallacious notions concerning sexuality.

Forget about homosexuality. (In anticipation of the inevitable question, I am forced to clutter the post with the assurance of the average reader that I am not saying homosexuality is not a sin. It is, and is also a crime that should be punished by the state.)

Now forget about homosexuality.

Let's talk about covetousness. Do you choose your desires, or are they just there?

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

He's always looking for that ever elusive 'gotcha' thought to undo the truths of solid biblical doctrine found in Calvinism and Reformed theology. He'll never find it because it simply doesn't exist.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Is there anybody else on this board who thinks we were not born sinners besides this guy?

It's hard to take him serious.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who said that?

But.. Yes. A homosexual could do otherwise since you mention it- if God determined that he would.

15. preacher4truth

There have been others who have claimed this in the past, they were always good, seeking God, loved God all their lives and on and on it goes. Let's not forget one of this tribe claims when Jesus talked of the 99 sheep it is to be taken that some people don't need to repent at all. It's a proof text to support their error. But thankfully Christ died for the ungodly. Interestingly enough, although all are/were ungodly, only some realize this.

#35 preacher4truth, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You know, Arminius would call these guys heretics who have denied the faith.

Winman, and maybe Benjamin, are not as bad as Pelagius- they are WORSE.

What a mess!

You don't expect to get on here on BB and deal with guys like this.

And where is SKANDELON when they say this awful awful mess?

He's always waiting with baited breath to thumbs up these guys when they play his wing men for him.

Where is he when they LITERALLY SAY that men are not born sinners??

AMAZING!!!!

Is that not the best proof possible that he is a politician?

Look, I like you, p4t, but if you said something like that I'd NAIL your backside.

If Iconoclast or Havensdad or Archangel said something that awful I would drop the hammer on them.

I do drop the hammer on EWF sometimes. And he does me.

Where is Skandelon?

Are they not more interested in truth than in getting votes to help them win debates on BB?

It's AWFUL!!!

17. preacher4truth

I know of no baptists in the real world that believe what these two believe, nor others of their ilk. Not one.

Not amazed and totally apathetic as to where he is or what he is doing. We've seen the silly game of 'prove they said that' only to do so and then watch them twist those facts and deny them. That's their merry go round.

If I waver from truth I expect to be corrected by my brethren on here and welcome it. I cannot see any of the above going down the road of error mentioned above. I respect each of them though we've had a few disagreements in the past.

Iron sharpens iron. Try sharpening stubble with iron and you get the problems seen in dialogue between the Reformed brothers and anti-cals on BB. They can't handle it.

:sleep:

They're not interested in truth but are in the latter, and yes, it is awful.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No kidding...but you have been here long enough to have seen this type. And then where is DHK and Skandelon...good question.

But it sure does get people riled doesn't it. THEN READERSHIP GOES UP. THINK about it.

19. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

It was Jesus himself who spoke of 99 just persons which need no repentance.

Luk 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

You'll have to forgive Jesus for his error, there were no Calvinists in his day to correct him and tell him there is no such thing as just persons which need no repentance.

Or perhaps Jesus was just saying nonsensical things?

When you get to heaven you can correct him. :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.