1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Longwood bakery takes heat for refusing to make anti-gay cake

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/os-cut-the-cake-bakery-gay-fight-20150403-story.html

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not cool. This is the kind of behavior I expect from the Westboro people.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly what I thought.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

"Cut the Cake does not advertise itself as a gay or gay-friendly bakery, but it has appeared on third-party websites as a business that has done work for gay weddings."We work with the gay community; we work with everybody of all religions or whoever," Haller said."

No, obviously you do not. You don't work with those that are anti-gay.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Business have a right to choose the projects with which they would like to engage. Apparently, she didn't want to do a project that was politicized and/or for people who are hateful.

They supporters of this so-called "Christian" evangelist demonstrated that they are hateful by their attacks on this bakery.

You can oppose homosexual practices and marriage and not be hateful.

If I were in her position, I would have done exactly the same thing.

6. matt wade

I absolutely agree that a business should be able to pick and choose who they do business with.

My comments were regarding the fact that they say one thing and do another.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are quoted as saying: "We work with the gay community; we work with everybody of all religions or whoever."

I suspect that is true. They probably do work with all religions and persons of same and opposite sex attractions. However, very few businesses of that type work with obnoxious people if they can help it.

This is a bakery. I doubt they want to cultivate obnoxious customers. They also probably don't want to cultivate political baking projects. There's a decent chance they would refrain from decorating a "We support gay marriage" cake.

I don't have any way of knowing that for sure, but I think it is wrong to automatically assume the worst of others and call them hypocrites without knowing anything more than what is written in a news story.

As Christians, we are supposed to be generous with other people. Assuming the worst of others and posting it on the internet in a public forum is not part of loving your neighbor.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This guy sounds like he is really trying to get a sound byte on FOX News. I can clearly see him positioning to to sit with Hannity or O'reilly and say that this is why RFRA is needed.

9. matt wade

Bologna. There's zero chance they would refrain from making that cake.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The sad thing about these new RFRA laws or attempted laws is that they are advancing gay rights and are pushing states to legislatively say that businesses cannot discriminate based upon sexual orientation, when before no such legislation has existed statewide.

So instead of expanding religious freedom for Christians, these attempts to legislate discrimination have, because of the public outcry, forced Indiana and probably some other states to widen the protective umbrella against discrimination to include LGBT.

11. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got it, tired of both sides dragging bakeries and florists into a cultural war. Just for kicks, in Colorado, some people tried to order a cake (very offensive IMO) with all these Bible verses on it and the bakery refused to do so:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ry-wins-right-to-refuse-to-make-anti-gay-cake

There's your solution - make them decorate their own cakes with any kind of political message they so choose.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you know everything. Even the motivations and intentions of other people's hearts.

Since you have that gift, please put it to good use in the service of God's Kingdom.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line is that this bakery is guilty of discrimination.
    Now, IMHO, the individual did not really want the cake - but was only trying to prove a point.

What the baker should have done, was to tell him to come in a make a deposit. ( you could get around this by only requiring first time customers to make a deposit.)

14. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

GREAT ADVICE!:applause:

15. matt wade

You're the same guy that told us they wouldn't bake it. So go and follow your own advice. :wavey:

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. matt wade

The difference is I typed what I believed, and you didn't type what you believed. Oops, there I go again knowing what someone meant.

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have that gift, then you are intentionally bearing false witness. If you do not have that gift, you are deluded.

Either way, you are not it to comment on my motives.

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Great point. But he may still disagree with you. Does sound like he has the gift of knowledge, and most on the board belive those spiritual gifts ended in acts. :thumbs:

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So this evangelist calls and asks if they would make this cake, once they said no he makes a video talking about what he preceives as a doubel standard given the recent event regarding the pizza place.

So what was done wrong?

Where was the hate displayed by him?

Do we know that the other so called "supporters of the evangelist" are actually Christians being mean and hateful?

Could the other people simply be liberals acting like that to give others a bad name?

I do not believe we know either way.