1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to you to be KJVO?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by MRCoon, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pioneer:
    So far, so good....

But then you go downhill in a hurry. Your above statement shows your belief is incorrect. Can you back it up with SCRIPTURE?

First, the whole W&H thingie is incorrect. Second, the word translated as "corrupt" in the KJV shoulda been rendered "peddle".

And I betcha you're using a later KJV edition. So far, just about everyone I've seen for the last 25 years who call themselves "AV1611" somewhere in their handles or sigs use a later edition, such as the 1769 Blayney's Edition.

Before some of you start throwing insults and accusing me of being ignorant of the facts, I will add this statement: I believe that the King James Bible that I use today is substantially equivalent to the original 1611 edition.

I see no reason to insult you, Sir. A simple statement, "You're largely incorrect", should touch all the bases.

And that includes your above statement. I have two repro AVs, and umpteen later KJV editions. It takes no rocket science to read'em side by side & see they're different. And the later editions have left out almost all the comments & notes by the AV translators, as well as the Apocrypha. (No, I do NOT consider the Apocrypha Scripture.)

Yes, you do have the right to continue to be largely incorrect. Meanwhile, I shall continue to THANK GOD for making His word available in MY language style, while keeping the older versions available too! God did NOT retire in 1611.

[ May 23, 2006, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I have commented honestly about your original post.

First, the KJVO myth is wrong. it has NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT. Therefore it CANNOT be correct.

Second, you have the right, here in the USA, to use any Bible version you wish. However, when you declare all the others corrupt, you err grievously. THAT STATEMENT is the one which will garner insults toward you. However, for my part, a simole "I say you're incorrect...Try to prove ME incorrect!" will do.

Nor will I say you're stupid...I will simply say, "You obviously haven't studied the issue too much, and therefore don't know much about it."

What's your basis for declaring all other versions corrupt? Just saying, "It aint the KJV" won't do.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howdya know the NIV wasn't correcting the places where the KJV blew it? Howdya know it leaves out over 1K words(I assume you meant words, not verses.)Maybe the KJV people had ADDED them. Without a sure knowledge, you're just GUESSING.

As for changing your mind, I wouldn't even try. However, I shall continue to make my remarks, God Willing, for the benefit of newer Christians, hoping they'll avoid the trap of the KJVO myth.

As I told Pioneer, you have every right to continue to be incorrect.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Linda, I have no prob with anyone who wants to use only the KJV, or NIV, or any one version. The probs arise when one declares his/her fave version is the ONLY valid one, or thay all others are corrupt. I KNOW, and am not just guessing, that they are WRONG.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SFIC:After much prayer and reading (in my Bible and in the various threads, I have decided to come out of the closet so to speak and let all here know I am a KJVO.

Why didja hafta "come outta the closet"? hadja been ashamed before?

Was I always a KJVO? NO!

Then, ya don't hafta be, now.

But the hatefulness that has been shown to me in these threads by those professing to be christians who advocate the MV's has assured me that I do not want any part of that camp.

That view is in the same vein as the anti-KJVOismists who read some thing by Ruckman & conclude that all KJVOs have the personality of a wet cat, and/or something by Riplinger & conclude all KJVOs are liars and witch doctors.

They are indeed being used by satan in their attacks on professing christians.

Actually, that would be the KJVOs who believe the man-made myth about an excellent English BV, a myth that arose from a SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST official.

My KJV does not teach me such hatred toward fellow believers

Neither does mins...or my repro AV 1611s...nor my NIV...nor me NASV...nor my NKJV...nor any other of my valid Bible copies.

and since the MV'ers are always full of hatred toward me and others it confirms my stance taht the Modern Versions since the 1611/1769 KJV are all false versions.

Actually, it's about individual personalities & has nothing to do with any Bible versions. However, if you wanna use that for an excuse to be KJVO, this is America & you have that right.

As it was so appropriately put earlier in the thread, 'counterfeits.'

SCRIPTURE from the KJV, please?

May God have mercy on all that claim to be of Him but hate a brother in Christ. My Bible calls you all 'murderers' and tells me the truth is not in you.

May God have mercy in you for adopting an incorrect doctrine about one version of His word.

If I have shown any hatred toward you, I apologize right now, and, if ya would, please point out any specifics, and I'll apologize individually for each one of them.

However, that does NOT include DISAGREEMENTS. I believe the KJVO myth is completely WRONG, and I do NOT apologize for THAT. KJVO is not even hinted at anywhere in Scripture, a fact which alone makes the KJVO myth wrong. Besides that, just about every salient point of the KJVO myth has been proven wrong, and if anyone takes my reminding them of that fact, that's something else for which I will NOT apologize.

But again, if I have personally attacked or insulted you, I apologize, and will apologize for any individual attacks(NOT DISAGREEMENTS) which I have made toward you.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But of course Dr. Waite doesn't like this board. Logos 1560 and others have proven(not GUESSED) that his count of the differences between the AV 1611 & the 1769 Blayney's Edition of the KJV is 'WAY too frugal!

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you guys quickly bury the hatched.(and not in each other's heads!)

The obvious inability of the KJVOs to deal with the lack of Scripture supporting their myth, or to answer other poignant, pointed questions concerning the KJVO myth, speaks volumes to all the readers. The personal wars bring us to the level of that poseur "John" on the "Theology Online" board.

Let's just agree to disagree, please? Let's just keep proving the KJVO myth wrong by EVIDENCE, or the KJVOs' lack thereof !

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl New Member

If I put a $100 bill on a copy machine and made a copy of it, does that make it another $100 Bill for me to go out and spend? I believe there is only one REAL version of the Bible, and all others are conterfiet copies.

Now hurl all the rotten tomatoes you care to throw at me.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...

That's why I dare say He must hate the KJVO myth. This myth has sown tremendous discord among the members of the faith I hold dear, the faith gleaned from God's word, best represented in my view by Fundamental Baptist beliefs.

For many years, once the interference of the British Crown died out, the KJV & several other English versions "peacefully co-existed", although each had its "Onlyists". And for a long time, the KJV was the most modern English version there was. But time moves irresistably forward, and the KJV was slowly left behind. When God stimulated some people to make new versions, the resistance to then began, just as it had begun against the AV in the early 1600s by the "Geneva Onlyists".

However, the RV & a few other early "MVs" were not exactly top-of-the-line versions & weren't very popular. But then in 1930, SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST official Dr. benjamin Wilkinson wrote an error-filled book, Our Authorized Bible Vindicated, in response to a squabble within the SDA cult. No problem, until some people began making much-better "modern" Bibles than were the first ones such as the RV. Then, the current KJVO myth left its infancy and began to spread like a cancer across the USA and England. First, it was J.J.RAY in 1955, then DR. PETER S.RUCKMAN in 1964, then DR. D.O.FULLER in 1970 who began selling KJVO literature. These men had the power of modern media with which to spread their Sensationalist stuff.

Obviously, many Christians saw right through their smokescreen, especially since the early KJVO authors obtained almost all their material from Wilkinson's book. They knew KJVO was NOT from God; they saw its cultic origin.

Not only were virtually all the points of KJVO proven wrong, but its TOTAL LACK OF SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT became a cardinal factor in most Christians' rejection of it.

Yes, God must hate the KJVO myth. From about 1955 on, it has done nothing but sown discord within God's churches. Its origin is from a cult official, which proves it's NOT from GOD. Nor is it even HINTED AT whatsoever in the KJV itself, nor in the translators' comments in the AV 1611, a set of writings conveniently removed from almost all current KJV printings.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

so you all are talking about some group that says the KJV itself is inspired? This has never been what KJVO meant to me. We've always been taught that the ORIGINALS are inspired and the KJV is the PRESERVATION of that inspiration. The translators of the KJ were not inspired like Moses and Isaiah and Solomon and Paul. But that doesn't mean the KJ has to have had actual doctrinal mistakes in it.

I guess I didn't read Dr. Bob's definitions very closely before, but his #4 is wrong. IF there is a group that says the KJV itself was inspired (Holy Spirit-breathed) than that group is a MINority, not a MAJority.

This difference I believe is what causes such rancor around here. We who are KJVO define ourselves differently than you people who are constantly calling us "weak-faithed"....etc.

So Im thankful that MRCoon started this thread. Perhaps now we can have a chance to dialogue without being called heretics.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kuntrygirl: If I put a $100 bill on a copy machine and made a copy of it, does that make it another $100 Bill for me to go out and spend? I believe there is only one REAL version of the Bible, and all others are conterfiet copies.

But as a former cop, I could quite-easily prove a copy-machine $100 bill is counterfeit. Can YOU thus prove all other Bible versions are counterfeits? Just saying "It's different from the KJV" isn't proof of which is right, if both are right, or both are wrong. It's just a laconic statement of fact.

You need to prove only the KJV is right & the others are counterfeit by SCRIPTURE.

Now hurl all the rotten tomatoes you care to throw at me.

Why do that? Why act like Ruckman? A simple request for PROOF will suffice. If you can't prove your statement, all the other readers will know it's wrong. No insult would make that impression any stronger.

12. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl New Member

I have no idea who this Ruckman is? I only know that I recognize verbal tomato throwing when I see it, and I have seen plenty of decomposing vegetation being flung at Christians by Christians on this thread!

The question is What does it mean to be a KJV Only believer? It means I believe in only the KJV of the Bible. Why do I have to prove anything to to you or to anyone else? Was this thread only begun to target those who hold a certain belief so that they can be taunted, tormented and persecuted for holding that belief? I think that is using Nazi Tactics - not unlike forcing the jews to wear stars on their clothing to mark them as jews.

If you don't like KJV Only people, why don't you just go through the list on this thread and delete us from this board? Why not - I have been banned for this belief before and I probably will be again? I will not change my mind and I stand firm in my convictions.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is sad that you can so easily tell an untruth. I use the KJV exclusively and have never been labeled a KJVO.

14. standingfirminChrist

We have all the proof we need to verify our stance. It is called the King James Bible; with the Holy Ghost to witness to our hearts that we are reading the Bible that God has given to man.

And Philip, if you read the next paragraph in my post you quoted from, you would see just as I said in the one you quoted.. I was not always KJVO. The hatred hurled at the KJVO camp and at me is very unChristlike. I stand by all I posted in the middle of the night. Those that are bashing people for KJVO have only evil intent in their hearts which is not of God.

Why, it was written by Dr Bob several days back that if he had his way, he 'would ban all KJVO's.' I am so glad Jesus Christ is not so hateful toward us.

You want to believe I am wrong for going over to the KJV camp? Fine. But I am seeing more and more that that is exactly where God wants me to be.

The hatefulness and doubt of my walk with God only strengthens my heart in knowing the devil is attacking me because I am right.

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

If number 4 is NOT correct then the person must also believe that it is entirely possible and acceptable to have modern translations. After all, if the 1611 translators were not inspired, and the NASB contains the same doctrine, then it must be God's Word.

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

If I were a child-molester (which I'm not.....for clarification's sake) then people here would be attacking me.

Would that mean that what I was doing was right because I was being attacked for my beliefs?

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kuntrygirl:I have no idea who this Ruckman is?

Just Google Dr. Peter S. Ruckman.

I only know that I recognize verbal tomato throwing when I see it, and I have seen plenty of decomposing vegetation being flung at Christians by Christians on this thread!

Sadly, I must agree. And again sadly, I must say there have been some ROCKS in the bombardment.

The question is What does it mean to be a KJV Only believer? It means I believe in only the KJV of the Bible.

No prob with that until ya diss other versions. You can be right in using only one given version, but NEVER right in dissing all others but your fave.

Why do I have to prove anything to to you or to anyone else?

Because you said all other versions are counterfeit.

Was this thread only begun to target those who hold a certain belief so that they can be taunted, tormented and persecuted for holding that belief? I think that is using Nazi Tactics - not unlike forcing the jews to wear stars on their clothing to mark them as jews.

If that happens, you will have brought it upon yourself by making a false statement about all other English BVs. Don't blame Desenex.

If you don't like KJV Only people, why don't you just go through the list on this thread and delete us from this board? Why not -

Never said I dislike the PEOPLE, nor the KJV. What I dislike is the FALSE DOCTRINE certain people have built up about the KJV. It's not the KJV's fault, nor that of its translators, who specifically indicated they were NOT One-Version-Onlyists. it's the fault of the corrupt Sensationalist book-sellers who depend upon keeping the myth before the people so they'll continue buying their books & keep'em livin' large.

I have been banned for this belief before and I probably will be again?

Whoever banned you for your belief was just as wrong as your 'counterfeit' statement.

I will not change my mind and I stand firm in my convictions.

Yes, you have every right to remain in error. And I have every right to ask for PROOF for the veracity of your statement that every English BV except the KJV is counterfeit.

18. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philip, don't edit out a TRUTH that I am quoting from my Pastor's sermon. [I don't even look like Satan-so, I would advise that you stop with the personal attacks along with the attacks on God's Word. Please refer to the rules of THIS forum if you wish to post.]

[ May 23, 2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

19. standingfirminChrist

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

AMEN dcorbett!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.