1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are creationists purposely misquoting evolutionists?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 1, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the early part of this thread - I start by completely discrediting the "pure fiction" that believers in atheist evolutionism like UTEOTW try to INSERT into the quotes and posts of Bible believing (i.e. Genesis - etc accepting) Christians.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=782409&postcount=39

I show the utter insanity of their "insert" that is of the form "you can't quote an atheist darwinist EXPOSING the blunders gaffs gaps and flaws of evolutionism WITHOUT ALSO claiming that the Atheist Darwinists IS NO LONGER an Atheist Darwinist - and yet still be a Bible Believing Genesis accepting Christian".

If we let UTEOTW get by with INSERTING that bogus strawman into each Christian believer's post and PRETEND that "what is INSERTED by UTEOTW INFERENCE is actual DATA found" -- THEN and only then do we get to some of UTEOTW's wild, slanderous vaccuous empty accusations.

But that is the ONLY way to get there!

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrong. (So dead wrong that even you in your confused befuddled state do not dare to quote ME and Patterson back to back because the quote of ME will SHOW the VERY part of the CONTEXT that Patterson so explicitly POINTS TO as revealing his true position")

This has only been pointed out repeatedly to you - page after page. But in your typical fact-denying illogical pattern - you simply gloss over what totaly debunks your wild accusations.

Can you SHOW that to be a fact! Try some actual quotes.

All you will find on this thread is ME quoting the VERY PART of Patterson's comments that HE insists we are NOT quoting!!

Your failure on this part is totally transparent.

Your lack of accurate objective and honest portrayal of my quotes is equally apparent.

In Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So why do I keep showing "you ADMIT" to your own failed INSERTION as you seek to CHANGE meaning in my own quote by "INFERENCE ALONE"?? (as in the post given a zillion and 1 times -- and also here
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost...&postcount=156)
    I suppose you are right - it is to shame you into coming around and being truthful on this.

To help the confused reader that may be thinking of following your same model of "half-truths" in place of data and fact - see how transparent and easily debunked such methods really are.

4. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

This is getting silly, Bob.

I gave you the entire text of a letter that Patterson wrote in response to being asked about the quote. He specifically states that the interpretation of the quote that you are peddling is "wrong." If you have forgotten, then read the thread.

And it is a very simple question that I ask you. Do you think that a proper quote should preserve the original intent and opinion of the author of the quote? Or do you think that merely quoting "exactly," even if by changing the context you change the meaning from what is intended, is sufficient?

Please answer. In my opinion, you silence on this question speaks volumes, informing us that even you know that it is a mistake to change the meaning and yet you do it anyway.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just love quoting this -- sorry can't help it!

#165 BobRyan, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is Bob "repeatedly using" the SAME part of the QUOTE that PAtterson INSISTS is NOT being USED!!

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now the objective thinking reader must ask WHY is UTEOTW only giving the part of the Patterson quote that Patterson WANTS ADDED to the original quote? Why does he not give BOTH the PARTIAL example Patterson complains about AND the full quote?

It is because UTEOTW wants us to BELIEVE that the FIRST part the "unnamed unquoted undisclosed partial segment" is the part of what Patterson SAYS that MUST NEVER BE QUOTED!

How sad.

#167 BobRyan, Jun 15, 2006
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For the zillionth time UTEOTW SHOW the partial quote that Patterson is objecting too.

You keep showing the part that HE APPROVES OF - and that I ALSO quote!

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not think that you have to give a "HISTORY" of every quote because most of us (as it turns out) CAN and DO get the accurate meaning without a complete history wrapped around each quote.

BUT I DO think that if you can SHOW that in the HISTORY of the quote the meaning is changed THEN you have some actual SUBSTANCE to your claims UTEOTW.

So far - you have been UNNABLE to do so!

Your TRIED the fallacy of equivocation between the Bible saying that the FOOL says "there is no god" and some things that Patterson said AS IF PATTERSON EVER SAID "The FOOL says that evolution conveys antiknowledge" or "The FOOL says that evolutionists tell stories that are NOT science".

No such disclaimer is found in Pattersons notes, books, quotes etc.

In Christ,

Bob

10. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Do you think that a proper quote should preserve the original intent and opinion of the author of the quote? Or do you think that merely quoting "exactly," even if by changing the context you change the meaning from what is intended, is sufficient?

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wow that seems to have shut down UTEOTW into silent mode.

What is up?

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would be like YOU infering data INTO my posts thereby bogus content that simply pleases you to INSERT and does not reflect what I have stated.

One more thing UTEOTW I have been showing your approach to be a dishonest approach the entire time - why do you keep asking me if doing things the way you do is right? Obviously it is not.

<BTW - please keep asking me to repeat this point over and over again -->

In Christ,

Bob

#172 BobRyan, Jun 15, 2006
  13. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I have presented quote after quote to you for years showing the meaning changes when placed in context.

You still will not answer whether you think a valid quote should keep it original meaning when quoted.

Do you think that a proper quote should preserve the original intent and opinion of the author of the quote? Or do you think that merely quoting "exactly," even if by changing the context you change the meaning from what is intended, is sufficient?

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have NOT ONCE presented me with a quote THAT I am using and shown it to have CHANGED meaning by adding text.

It should be very simple for you to SHOW what you claim to have already done on this thread - why not simply SHOW it?

Why keep using your transparent tactics instead?

15. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

It really is a very simple question. YOu can even ignore for the moment our disagreement as to whether I have shown quotes to mean something different when placed in context. Just answer.

We can decide later whether a particular quote has had its meaning changed.

Just put in writing for all to see whether or not you think that valid quote should preserve the original intent and opinion of the author.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Answer was already given - but thanks for asking it to be repeated "again"

17. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I fail to see an answer in that quote either in the affirmative or the negative.

What is so difficult about that to answer? We are nearing the end of 18 pages. The first post of the first page asked about misquoting.

All I am asking is for you to tell us what requirments are there for a quote to be valid.

Does the text need to be accurate?

Does the original meaning need to be kept obvious?

Does the author's opinion need to be preserved?

Does there need to be a proper citation?

Other requirements that you might suggest?

What qualities must a quote possess to be valid? Must it maintatin the original intent and opinion of the author?

18. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Perhaps these "misquotations" can be qualified somewhat.

I have books by Ankerberg, Faid, Hunt and others on my shelf (yes they are actually on my shelf).

I don't know that I would say there are any outright fabrications. But there are several (at least) instances in those books where a biologist is quoted as saying something on the order of "we really have no proof at all that this occurred". A point is then made to show that even evolutionists admit their case is bogus. In reality that quote was part of a sentence like, "We have no proof that it occurred but then we have no proof that plants can photosynthesize - we do have significant evidence suggesting that evolution has occurred."

This is not a misquote in the sense of using the wrong words but it is an example of how "quotes" taken out of context does occur and how that can change the point of the statement being made.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey UTEOTW don't feel bad about your failure - no problem - I will be glad to "post the answer again"!

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    UTEOTW -

Do you think it is morally right for someone to INSERT INEFERENCE into other people's quotes in an effort to slander them as you have done with me?

Yes or no will do.