1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance needed for Salvation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gekko, Jul 28, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

well - i tried. :D

2. l_PETE_l

l_PETE_l New Member

No man ever believed but what he repented at the same time. Faith and repentance go together. They must. If I trust Christ to save me from sin, I am at the same time repenting of sin, and my mind is changed in relation to sin, and everything else that has to do with it's state. All the fruits meet for repentance are contained in faith itself.Spugeon

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

:thumbsup:

Yea, that is what I was trying to say.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

:thumbsup:

Exactly at some point all saved people have changed their mind (repented) and decided to put their faith in Christ for salvation. You can not be saved without repentence.

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Once again if that is true then why is repentance left out of Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 16:30-31 and Roman 4. You are placing contradictions onto Scripture that can not be worked around.

Not to mention that repentance is a work, so now it's not Christ's works only, but Christ's works aren't good enough so now we need to change our mind.

That's a works based salvation no matter how you chalk it up.

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Being born again is also left out of those scriptures. Is is not nessessary to be born again to be saved? They are left out because both repentence and being born again are something that happen to us not something we do.

Repentence is not our work. It is a work of the Holy Spirit.

If you dont need to change your mind about trusting Christ for salvation then that means everybody in this world is saved no matter if they trust Christ for salvation or not.

7. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Here is a good quote about repentnace and salvation, etc.

I was writing a paper in high school about the Lordship of Christ in the salvation of sinners. I cannot remember the name of the book, but I think it was a commentary on James. I have the quote because I put it in my paper, I have apparently forgot to put the name of the book in the paper, though I did put a footnote for it, lol. :)

8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Actually, according to your previous claims it doesn't matter who Jesus is talking to does it? You've stated that none of Christ's teachings and in fact none of the four Gospels relate to salvation.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

DeeJay there is nothing in Scripture that supports that view. The verb used when someone is asked to repent is active, which means the person is the one doing the action. That means it is our work.

I am unaware if there is ever a mention of repent in the passive voice which means that it would be the work of the Holy Spirit.

We are the ones that change our minds. And again I'm unaware of any passage of Scripture that includes repentance that isn't in the context of the kingdom message.

Trusting Christ is not about repentance. Trusting Christ is about having faith and believing. Repentance and faith are not the same thing. They are different things.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Eternal salvation is not about committing your life. Eternal salvation is about accepting Jesus' works (substitutionary death and shed blood) on your behalf.

Accepting Christ's Lordship can ONLY come into play AFTER eternal salvation is a done deal. It's a shame that the simple gospel message gets confused with other things.

Believe and you will be saved. Why do we have to complicate that simple message?

11. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Absoutely it matters. That's part of context.

None of them are talking about eternal salvation per se. That doesn't mean it's not mentioned, but that's not the big picture. The big picture is the kingdom.

12. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Repentence is a change of mind. At some point you had to change your mind and trust Christ for salvation. That is repentence.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Wid' out lookin' this up, it sounds on the surface at least, a lot like the Baptist Faith and Message. Any further info, or is this college affiliated with Southern Baptists by any chance? Just wonderin'.

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Meaning did Deacondean repent??? Since 'repent' in all but six cases in the NT means exactly and precisely "change one's mind", as the rendering of "metanoeO".

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Maybe I can type slower so it gets through. I did not say that 'repentance is NOT required for salvation', to my knowledge. If I did, show me where. What I DID say is that the words "repent of one's sin(s)" is not a Biblical phrase and is not to be found in Scripture (at least not in the KJV, RV, or ASV) (along with some other words and phrases, I added, and which BTW, I'll add another I read in a post, namely "unrepentant").

I did also say that I do not believe in "Lordship salvation". I did not say that I do not believe in "Lordship", but that I did, in so many words. (Post # 111 ) But "Lordship salvation" is pushing a theological rope, for 'Lordship' must follow salvation, simply because one who is unsaved cannot come under the Lordship of the Lord Jesus Christ, as a disciple.

Yes I am of the "free grace" persuasion, although that too is a misnomer, for a grace that is not ABSOLUTELY FREE! © is not grace at all, but some abomination or amalgamation masquerading as that, or as we might say, "a wolf in sheep's clothing". Paul in Galatians calls it another gospel.

You might also note (Am I still typing too fast???) that I basically equated believe and repent as the "flip sides"of the same coin. (Post # 77) I believe you confused my response with that of DeeJay, as saying that repentance is not required for salvation.

Since I mentioned DeeJay, let me add that he (along with J.Jump and Helen have correctly defined 'repent' as 'a change of mind'. (Sorry, I can't type any slower.) And since you quoted Lk. 13:5, let me cite John 3:16 and ask if the 'perish" is the same in both cases? Assuming the answer is "Yes!", as I would claim, are you willing to say that Jesus did not give Nicodemus the complete answer on how to be 'saved'? I believe that He did, and in both situations with hte nuances being understood by the hearer, and therefore 'repent' is to be equated with 'believe'. And likewise, therefore, repentance (is directed) toward
    God (Acts 20:21) and not subtlely redefined sub-silento as penance, sorrow, or directed toward sin.

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

AMEN!

Thought I'd shout it, just so that nobody could miss hearing it! :smilewinkgrin:

Ed

17. gekko

gekko New Member

yah - well - your not going to be in the presence of the Lord - no matter what - if Jesus Christ does not know you.

if you know him - but He doesn't know you - you're not going to be in the presence of the Lord at all.
    ---

one cannot be a christian without repentance.

for one to see the need for the Savior Jesus Christ - for one to see the need to believe - they must understand the cross sitch. that Christ died for their sins.

but that's not the whole picture - that Christ died for their sins... what sins? what is sin? 'transgression of the law' - you can't understand the cross situation until you understand what sin is - and how exceedingly sinful sin is - then you will recognize your need for the Savior - and your need to believe.

that in and of itself is a turning away from sin - because you see sin as exceedingly sinful - and dont want to go to hell because you're living in it.

a non-christian will not just blurt out - "I BELIEVE JESUS IS LORD!"
    and then 'Poof' they're saved.

no - they need to understand the cross and what Christ did and what he did it for.

they cannot understand that if the Holy Spirit is not working through them - if the Holy Spirit is working through them - they are being convicted - the Holy Spirit's conviction leads to a "repentant faith" - now that they understand that intellectually - they have the ability to believe and be saved.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm still learning about this school myself but I know they're IFB and I think they're not warm toward SBC. The founder was J Frank Norris, whom I'm still learning about.

Their Statement of Faith is what got my attention because it seems to be quite different than most IFB-associated statement I've seen - for one thing, much more detailed on salvation and less emphasis on the pre-trib pre-mil position.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Gekko

How much did the theif on the cross understand. Did he compleatly understand that the man next to him was dieing for his sins. Did he have a intelectrual knowlege about the sacrifice that Jesus was making for him. Or did he just acknolage that Jesus was Lord and trust him to save him.

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

He understood that Jesus was the Christ and was dying innocently as the King of the Jews. Notice his statement to the King. "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!"

And notice Jesus' response And He said to him "Truly I say to you today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

This wasn't a conversation of eternal salvation, but a conversation regarding the kingdom. Jesus told the thief that he would be with Him in Paradise or the kingdom when it comes.