1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Assemblies of God vers Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JamieinNH, Aug 4, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Can anyone with knowledge of both [SIZE=-1]denominations, Assemblies of God and Baptist, can you tell me the difference between them?

I have a friend that is going to an AoG church and he has invited me a couple of times, and I don't see a difference. Their sermons seem groundsed in scripture, they beliefs seem simlar, except for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Is the Assemblies of God just another branch that is similar to Baptist like a Methodist is?

Thanks for any help this this..

Jamie

[/SIZE]

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My noted differences is that AOG hold to tongues practices and preaching whereas Baptists don't, and Baptists hold to the once saved issues more.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have also found a lot of similar doctrines. There are significant differences, however.

I far as I know, the AoG puts an unnecessary emphasis on the gifts of the Spirit, especially with speaking in tongues (estactic utterances) as the evidence or proof of the indwelling Holy Spirit. I find that to be an unbiblical doctrine.

There may be some AoG that lean toward Baptismal regeneration (probably some Baptists as well), but that would probably vary from church to church.

peace to you:praying:

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like SaggyWoman beat me to the "submit" button.

peace to you:praying:

5. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I used to think the main difference was the AoG were the ones holding their hands in up the air. But now days, the distinction doesn't hold (at least not out in California, where we've undergone the charismania craze.)

Sorry, just the musings of a "throw-back" baptist :laugh:

6. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I have a friend who always mentions the "oh yeah, you baptists think you are saved forever", so I know that is a major difference. She fell away from church for a couple years and confided in my wife that if she would have died during that time, she would have gone to hell.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

A lot of worshippers raise their hands--this crosses a lot of denominations, not just AOG or Baptists.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I consider AOG believers to be brothers and sisters in Christ.

But, I could not belong to a church that teaches that speaking in tougues must occur to show indwelling of the HS. I think they also teach the 2nd blessing, which may the same thing. You have the HS when you believe, but then there is a "second blessing" when you are filled with the HS/and or speak in tongues. Can anyone clear that up?

9. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

I don't know if this is an official teaching of the Assemblies of God, but I've heard many from their number talk about "speaking things into your life," holding that beng made in God's image gives our words the creative power of God, and since our words have power in themselves, we should be careful what we say. That was exactly the way that doctrine was explained to me, nigh word-for-word, by an Assembly of God pastor, and it smacks way too much of witchcraft for my comfort, what with the power-in-our-words thing.

As for the charismatic gifts, there are Baptists who hold that they're still active, although most of them take a more conservative stance on the gifts than Charismatics do (I'm one of them!), and there are also Baptists, as I've seen on this board, who deny OSAS.

The "second blessing" is a baptism of the Holy Spirit thing, and it supposedly separates the super-spiritual echelon of believers from the regular (and extra crispy) believers.

That's what I've gathered from Assembly of God people I've talked to.

Michael

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    AoG doctrine is essentially a combination of pentecostal revivalism and Wesleyan Arminian theology inherited from the Holiness movement.

The major disagreements between the AoG and Baptists, historically, have been:

— About election and the security of the believer. Based upon the AoG's Wesleyan theology, the AoG rejects (as do the Free Will and other general Baptists)

— The continuation of certain spiritual gift signs (notably speaking in tongues) and the AoG doctrine of baptism in the Holy Spirit. AoG doctrine is that the believer receives the Holy Spirit at conversion, but the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate event. "This personal encounter with the Holy Spirit should be sought and cherished by every believer. With it comes a new and fuller dimension of spiritual understanding and a flow of spiritual gifts." Following Wesleyan theology, baptism in the Holy Spirit is the path to entire sanctification.

BTW, Baptists were often prominent in the early Pentecostal movement. [FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA] Eudorus N. Bell, a former Southern Baptist preacher, was the first general chairman of the Assemblies of God, and another former Baptist, Arch Collins, was the second chairman.

Different AoG congregations, like Baptists, vary in their emphasis on distinctive beliefs. I'm sure there are a good number of AoG churches you could attend that would be virtually instinguishable from a Baptist service.
    [/FONT]

11. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is properly belongs to the Word-Faith movement, which is not confined to the AoG but it a Pentecostal-wide phenomenon. Not all AoG, or all Pentecostals, believe in Word-Faith, although a good many do, as can be verified for a casual watching of primetime programming on Trinity Broadcasting System.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Baptists are better and SBC'ers are the best!

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Moving from my sarcastically prideful statement (please forgive me) on to a more serious response.

AoG is in the pentecostal spectrum. The AoG is usually a more conservative denomination than other Pentecostals. the AoG also tends to have less outbursts of speaking in tongues during the services.

However, I would think that if you consider Methodists and AoG'ers to be similar to your Baptist church, you might be going to an almost non-denominational Baptist church. I cannot make a good determination from your post, but IMHO our organization and theology are different.

14. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I've seen many conservative AoG churches. They do place a strong emphasis (or at least used to) on local authority in their churches. Unlike the CoG, they believe in progressive sanctification, and place less emphasis on tongues, although they do preach the initial evidence of baptism is speaking in tongues.

You'll find most doctinal statements of the AoG close to what most Baptists believe. They are also more apt to have contemporary services, and more emphasis on prayer and worship than out and out expository teaching. But of all the pentecostal denoms, the AoG is probably the most grounded in the Word.

The AoG also has one of the largest foreign mission programs. They believe in evangelism.

Most of that speaking the word stuff is confined to WoF churches. Unfortunately, it has crept into the AoG and CoG to a degree.

The AoG has it's roots at Azusa Street, while the CoG has it's history in the baptists and methodists of the mid to late 1800's holiness movement.

15. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The AOG is a single denomination where the ministers credentials are given and controled by the organization. On the other hand, Baptists are much more independent than AOG churches and Baptist beliefs vary much more. Indeed, some Baptist churches are Pentecostal and are very similiar to the AOG. In addition, Baptist churches stress doctrinal beliefs much more that AOG churches do.

The following comparisons assume typical Baptist churches.

Speaking in Tongues

AOG believes speaking in tongues is the "evidence" of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. This does not mean a Christian that has not spoken in tongues does not have the Holy Spirit as some AOG people may believe. AOG also believe speaking in tongues is one of the spiritual gifts for today.

Most Baptist do not believe speaking in tongues is for today; however, some Baptist speak in tongues in their private prayers, i.e. Private Prayer Language. Only Pentecostal Baptist churches.have speaking in tonues during the church service.

Healing of the Body

AOG believes in healing and tends to believe that if you are not healed, there is probably something wrong spiritually.

Baptist tend to believe in healing, but only as God wills, i.e. if you are not healed, it is accepted that it is just God's will that you are not healed.

Security of the believer

AOG believe you forfeit your salvation (like the free-will Baptist) if you stop trusting Christ as savior. Note that their security of the believer doctrine is not stressed in AOG churches as OSAS is stressed in most Baptist churches. So you may get various versions of the AOG belief from individual menbers.

Of course, most Baptist churches believe in OSAS.

Music

In the past 20 years, almost all AOG churches have gone over to very CCM. They tend to have song services that last at least 45 minutes and some can get very emotional.

Baptist churches vary all over the spectrum form traditional to contemporary music. In my experience, the small Baptist churches tend to be traditional and the larger churches tend to have a mixture of traditional and mild contemporary music.

IMHO,these are the main differences between the AOG and the Baptist.

Hope this helps.

16. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

quite simply...

This is Pentecostalism

THIS is Baptist

----
    Any questions?

Seriously. two different kinds of Christianity really. I've been on both sides of the fence. and back again.

to be fair.... from wikipedia:

Wikipedia on Pentecostalism

Wikipedia on Fundamentalism

That is of course, unless your SBC:

Wikipedia on Evangelicalism

Hope this helps.

More on the Subject of New-Evangelicalism

More on the subject

An interesting article on the unsanitized history of the pentecostal movement.

Early History of the Pentecostal Church

Strange History of the "Pentecostal" Church Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Roots of the movement

Now before anyone poo poo's me for putting links to the David Cloud. Please note, that it was his writings on the history of the movement, which started me to question the very doctrines of that movement and made me take a LONG HARD look at what it is that I really believed. after 9 months of soul search, studying, praying and a little crying. I decided my days in them circles were over for good. and I came back to being a Fundamental Baptist. I spent 21 years in the circles and friend I tell you, without any apology or hesitation, that movement is on the slippery slope to hell. and everything the Baptist's have said about that movement for years, is absoutely true!

My site on Pentecostalism

My Testimony

Hope this helps, and sorry if I offend anyone, but my friends, it's the truth and I stand behind what I say here 100%.

-WTD

#16 TheWinDork, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thanks for all the input! I did read some on the web about the differences, but as in anythnig on the web, it's all subjective. So I wanted to hear from the good ole' Baptist folk here on the board.

From what I can see this AoG church is conversative, the couple of times I have been I didn't see any talking in tounges. They did have a long music service like someone mentioned, but it was very nice and uplifting.

Since I am going to school to hopefully one day become a pastor, and I was raised as a Southern Baptist, I think I will stick with what I know. :)

Thanks again!

Jamie

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

my grandfather was an AOG minister, so I have a bit of experience here...

My way of answering would be "why I couldn't become AOG:"

• The "baptism of the Holy Spirit/Second Blessing" issue. They're just off on this one. That's a thread unto itself.
    • Church polity. Credentials of ministers and other issues are controlled by the "district." I'm not into church hierarchy.
    • Too many AOG churches judge the "success" of their worship by the amount of emotion expressed. Not all, but a bunch. It lends itself to judging how God is moving by emotion--and that often causes churches to strive to produce emotion as a product of worship. That's not a good precedent.
    • Not all AOG are eaten up with the "name it and claim it" sewage that is Word of Faith movement...but quite a few are cozy with it. That makes me very nervous.
    • Interestingly...AOG tends to be conservative theologically and fairly literal in Biblical interpretation (with a few exceptions)...if I'm gonna go pentecostal, I'm going AOG. But, quite a few have women co-pastors (they often co-pastor with their husbands). I've just always thought that was kind of quirky for a denom such as this. I'm not ready to be in a church with a woman senior pastor.
    • The tongues issue (see "second blessing" above).
    • Not believing in eternal security.
    Having said all that, I have two very close friends (and several family members) that are AOG. Their particular AOG church is more stable, less "excitable," and stays away from some of the more heretical stuff than many others I've seen and heard about...

...but I'll stay Baptist myself, thanks.

(could I worship there on occasion? In most instances, yes. Do I fellowship with them? Yes. But the above-mentioned issues would concern me when it comes to serving in an AOG church, or attending there. Most of what I wrote had been stated earlier).

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the line will get fuzzier still.

20. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

I pray that God will guide your learning and grow you in the grace and knowledge of Him and that you will NEVER stick with what you know but always and ever be searching for more of His truth! I grew up AoG with my father being the pastor. I am not critical of them but am so grateful to our Lord for bringing me to the doctrines of grace more than 50 years after leaving the AoG church and becoming SBC. How do ever learn more if we are satisfied with just being SBC. It was in seeing clearly the expanding liberalism in the church that caused me to pray for guidance and truth and a church that taught the full scripture without compromise! We must always continue that search if we want to continue on in growth!
    Jeremiah 29:13 tells the criteria for such!

#20 2BHizown, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006