1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When can you fire or not fire a pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by piaairline, Jul 17, 2007.

1. piaairline

piaairline New Member

Hello again,

What is a legitimate reason for firing a pastor? Can you fire a new pastor because 20% of congregation is leaving the church (they feel pastor is too harsh, too strict, too demanding and too controlling)? The issue is causing a split in the church - help!

Thanks!

piaairline

#1 piaairline, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Does your Church have a constitution and bylaws? How do they read on this subject? This is the guide you should use;

Matthew 18:15-20 (KJV)
    15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
    16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
    17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
    18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
    19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
    20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, consult your church constitution.
    Ours, for example, calls for Matthew 18 actions, followed if necessary by an investigation by the deacons and a special congregational business meeting in which a 2/3 vote of members is required to dismiss the pastor.
    Our constitution cites immorality, unsatisfactory service, and departure from the fundamentals of the faith as reasons to dismiss the pastor.

Those who have left may still be members and eligible to vote.

4. piaairline

piaairline New Member

What are examples of UNSATISFACTORY SERVICE?

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Of course I agree with all that has been said about using the Biblical processes and staying with the church's constitution. But dismissal should be an absolutely last resort. Most pastors would, I think, realize that even if they might win such a vote, the losses would be too great to tolerate, and they should remove themselves from such a divisive situation. However, it takes time to relocate, and those who want him to go need to exercise patience, urge the dissenters to back off any political maneuvering they may be doing, and refrain from any form of undermining. It is the Kingdom that must continue, and church fights tend to push marginal people farther away. Let this pastor see the impossible situation he is now in, and help him find a gracious way out.