1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why businesses are leaving the US.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread (19 year old smoking law)

ktn4eg said " Whether or not one owns his own business he/she is not free to operate it in just any way he/she pleases. You've got zoning regulations, building and fire codes, handicapped accessibility, pollution ordinances, etc., ad nauseum, you have to deal with--not to mention that five-letter word "taxes."

Whether we like it or not, the days of "No body can tell me how I can run my business!" are long gone."

I may not like what some businesses are doing, but govt regulations are just getting a bit ridiculous.
    I agree we need some regulation but lets keep it reasonable. For example, handicap spots. Why in carnation do you need a handicap spot for a convenience store when the average stay is only 2 or three minutes?; Why does my taxi have to have a decal that say "Seat belts are available" when it is required by law to have seat belts installed; Why must a Christian radio station not be allowed to hire non Christians ?; ect, ect, ect
    The answer - political correctness.

thoughts?

Salty

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Sarge --

I also prefer to have as least governmental regulation (on all levels) as possible.

Problem is -- who defines what "reasonable" is? Everyone has his/her own interpretation of what "reasonable" means.

You mentioned the handicapped spots. You're probably right about the length of a stay, although I'm not sure where you got that statistic.

Then, too does that handicapped sticker mean that only physically handicapped people are entitled to use those spots?

And suppose that while visiting dear old Grandma she asks her grandson to drive over in her car to pharmacy to get her meds since she's under the weather. Is her grandson, who is in no way handicapped, entitled to use that spot?

And I won't even go there [pun intended] about if it's morally right to use the handicapped stall if it's empty and the other ones are occupied!

Or what about when bureaucratic regulations contradict each other? I remember reading about the time when OHSA started requiring those loud beeping backup alarms, only to have them banned by the EPA because they violated the noise pollution standards!

Remember that these bureaucrats are the same people who mandated braille key pads on drive-through ATMs!

So why are businesses leaving the US? Does NAFTA (one of the things that Bush I was all for [as part of his "New World Order" maybe?]) have anything to with it?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That my friend is the key question - what is reasonable? (though I sure NAFTA is that much help either)

My simple philosophy is "Govts job is to protect you from others, not from yourself"

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Yes, that's true.

Unfortunately, it seems that in so many ways that it's now also become our job to protect ourselves from the government!