1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

‘It’s Beginning To Look a Lot Like Russia…”

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Dec 17, 2010.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The incorporation that was part of the McDonald opinion applies the US Constitution to all the States, and Federal Preemption states that the US Constitution preempts State Constitutions, so, if a State Constitution is in conflict with the US Constitution the US Constitution wins every time. :)
    Yes, Bill, and the sad thing is that we did it to ourselves. They accomplished their goals, but only with our cooperation.

Benjamin Franklin called it correctly 235 years ago, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I got an idea for another thread. In this thread I'm going to ask you that's you NS to name as many actual terror events and terror plots blamed on "Al Qeada" that didn't involve government informants that acted as the ringleader since 2001 as you can.

Shouldn't be to hard for ya. There isn't that many.

The thread will be called Phoney Terror Threats?

#102 poncho, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I see your selective memory is still working fine NS. As I remember it the North American Union "stuff" gained alot of traction around here.

You just choose not to remember it in your hast to distort and misrepresent the truth I reckon.

That's becoming quite the nasty habit with you lately. What up with that?

Never mind, I just remembered something else. Your motto, "when in doubt demonize". Yawn.

I do believe people are starting to see through all that. Maybe you should try a different apporoach. I dunno like maybe debating in a more honest manner even when you are losing the debate like in this here thread? :smilewinkgrin:

#103 poncho, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  4. billwald

billwald New Member

>The incorporation that was part of the McDonald opinion applies the US Constitution to all the States, and Federal Preemption states that the US Constitution preempts State Constitutions, so, if a State Constitution is in conflict with the US Constitution the US Constitution wins every time.

Not exactly. If the state constitution has stronger rights provisions than the US Constitution, the state constitution prevails. For example, the Washington State Constitution gives me the right to own a gun for protection. State case law limits this right to people who are not felons and have not been locked up as crazy.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is not state preemption. It is in full agreement with the SCOTUS decisions.

In fact, in the Heller decision, there is an interesting footnote:

Footnote 9 of Heller:

9 See Bliss v. Commonwealth, 2 Litt. 90, 91–92 (Ky. 1822); State v. Reid, 1 Ala. 612, 616–617 (1840); State v. Schoultz, 25Mo. 128, 155 (1857); see also Simpson v. State, 5Yer. 356, 360 (Tenn. 1833) (interpreting similar provision with “common defence” purpose); State v. Huntly, 25 N. C. 418, 422–423 (1843) (same); cf. Nunn v. State, 1 Ga. 243, 250–251 (1846) (construing Second Amendment ); State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann. 489, 489–490 (1850) (same).

Also:

Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment , nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms

Few laws in the history of our Nation have come close to the severe restriction of the District’s handgun ban. And some of those few have been struck down. In Nunn v. State, the Georgia Supreme Court struck down a prohibition on carrying pistols openly (even though it upheld a prohibition on carrying concealed weapons). See 1 Ga., at 251.

SCOTUS cited the above as being in agreement with their decision in Heller. :)

6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

But you may have noticed that it simmered down a whole lot. For the simple reason that it didn't happen. That tends to put a damper on such discussions doesn't it.

By demonizing, I guess you mean bringing up your failed predictions now and then? Dang, I'm sorry.

I like that. Can I use it? Just proclaim myself winner like you have done? It's pure genius.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Pleased that TCassidy agrees that we are ruled by case law. <G>

NiteShift:
    >Most major cities in this country are home to gangs made up of illegal immigrants, or the children of illegal immigrants. It wouldn't be safe to "stand up" to them, yet you thump your chest about how you defy your government. Whee.

Why should I as a private citizen choose to go into gangland and challenge them? Unless the police in that community demand action from the police why should I give them a second thought as long as they stay out of my neighborhood??

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You shouldn't. The point was that there are real live threats to life & limb, yet some people feel the need to invent threats. (More drama?) The US government isn't going to come shoot you or cut you for dissing them.

Just as an aside, I don't believe gangland remains static. Those who live in certain parts of the country attest that it spreads and people continue to move further away from it.

9. targus

targus New Member

I seriously doubt that you did that even when it was your job.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

(Ignoring the insult <G>) Juvenile gangs don't operate in Seattle's Chinatown. They have better sense than to mess with the tourist trade. There is only one US minority group which destroys their own neighborhoods and they are not Chinese.

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Baloney.

I know of several who do.

:wavey:

12. billwald

billwald New Member

You know of several Chinese juvenile gangs who riot and burn their own neighborhoods in the US? Where?